can I afford it?

ferg85

Hello,

My partner works for nissan and can get me a 370z with road tax and insurance paid for.

I drive a 170bhp 2.0tdi audi a3 jst now and need to fill it twice a month. £70 tank and about 500 miles a tank.

I don't have too much spare income but like cars and see this is too good an opportunity with road tax and insurance paid for.

Just how bad is the fuel economy and how much to fill a tank?

It will be a huge shock. When I moved from a bmw diesel it pretty much exactly doubled my fuel cost.

If you are a petrolhead then do it, its more than worth it. If however its just because you have the chance to get one a little cheaper then you need to do some serious sums as it may end up spoling your ownership if you aren't ready to become best mates with the man at shell :lol:

Work on 24mpg at whatever price super unleaded is round your way. You may get better, but prepare for the worst at least. Don't forget to include servicing and misc parts (£500 a year) plus tyres (£700 all round) and you'll be okay.

Fuel comsumption depends on how you drive it and for how long. I used to drive to work (about 10miles) and if I didnt let her warm up for 5 minutes before setting off in the morning I was getting awful fuel economy - less than 15MPG. Once you start doing long journeys and its fully up to temperature you can expect to get more reasonable figures. I have since started cycling to work and save myself £40 on work fuel

I also have an A3 tdi and a 350z not the 370z but around town I get about 19mpg there is no way I could afford the 350 every day. However on a motorway trip I can get it up to 27mpg driving sensibly.

The best thing to do is to get a spreadsheet and work out all the costs per year, then see what that works out per month.

I did this for my 350z Roadster and it came to £1250 a month. That included tyres, servicing, insurance, MOT, road tax, plus petrol for the 500 miles a week I was doing as well as depreciation of the car.

Obviously for you, if you are getting free tax & insurance your monthly cost will be slightly different.

Tbh, if your questioning the cost now I doubt you'll want it for long, wait till you get more disposable income or get one and get a cheap motor to run around in but as Rabbitstew said plan it out and see what you think.

Yes your fuel costs will more than double I am afraid. I was using my 370z for my daily commute as it was my only car and was costing me approx £150 a week in fuel, just to get back and forward to work, need extra for weekend and if doing anything at night. Big chunk off wages.

So had no option but to sell it and buy a Saab 93 1.9 turbo diesel and now costing me £70 a week in diesel and bought a roadster 350z purely for the weekends ;)

What insurance & tax do you pay on the derv as that is your saving.

Sounds like you are getting an average ov just over 40mpg on the A3 which sounds about right as I had the same engine in my Leon.

Same driving will get you low 20's in a 370 so if your using super unleaded as you should then you can safely say you will almoat double your fuel bill...

The best thing to do is to get a spreadsheet and work out all the costs per year, then see what that works out per month.

I did this for my 350z Roadster and it came to £1250 a month. That included tyres, servicing, insurance, MOT, road tax, plus petrol for the 500 miles a week I was doing as well as depreciation of the car.

Obviously for you, if you are getting free tax & insurance your monthly cost will be slightly different.

1250 ! ! ! !

I worked mine out to be around £700 including everything, that is using the car everyday for work as well !

Am I one of the few who thinks the 370's fuel economy is actually really good?

I used my Evo daily for about 10 months, worked out at 9mpg average IIRC - Only ran on V-Power like all my cars ever have done.

Getting mid-high 20's out of the Zed I think - don't bother looking very often mind, well chuffed with that, been racking up the miles no-end so far :D

1250 ! ! ! !

I worked mine out to be around £700 including everything, that is using the car everyday for work as well !

Yep, it wasnt cheap. Luckily I had no loan on it, else it would have been even more. :scare: It broke down into something like £500 a month on fuel, £500 deprecation and then £250 for the tax (£490 a year), insurance, tyres, servicing, MOT etc. etc.

It's a 3.7 RWD sports/GT car, that is fairly heavy with big wide tyres.

The economy is slated in the motoring press, but it isn't that bad considering what it is.

I bought a Z and was pleasantly surprised at the MPG. Still @*!# compared to a uber economic diesel, but..... It's a 3.7 RWD spo............

Edited by Badgeronimous

Thanks for the replies.

I don't really boot the arse out my car unless I'm finishing work at 3/4am.

I just thought im on a pretty average wage and it'd probably be the only time in my life I could drive a car like this, having no kids and what not.

I need 1000 miles a month basically so that sounds about 3 tanks to me, about £290 which is double my cost just now.

It is a great looking/sounding and driving car though from what I hear.

I believe you get the car for 6 months then they swap it for a new one... I may wait until next summer as it doesn't sound a practical winter car unless you buy new tyres.

Maybe I'll get a juke nismo 4wd for the winter. They look and sound a bit @*!# but the only cars I really like in the nissan range are the 370z and GTR.

Am I one of the few who thinks the 370's fuel economy is actually really good?

Its a fairly open question, it depends what you are comparing it to. Obviously compared to 9mpg yes its bloody brilliant but compared to a 50mpg td its rubbish.

Any of the Zeds are fine in the winter, you really don't need new tyres as long as you're sensible and drive to the conditions.

Well, unless you live in the mountains or on a farm and have a lot of rough ground to cover through thick snow, then clearly they're not great. But then, no normal car would be either.

It broke down into something like £500 a month on fuel, £500 deprecation and then £250 for the tax (£490 a year), insurance, tyres, servicing, MOT etc. etc.

I don't get the £500 depreciation bit. I don't know long you planned to keep your Roadster but if you take the average of 2 years ownership then you're talking £12k depreciation :surrender: . Don't get me wrong, but the longer you keep the car then the less it goes down in value for example I've had my Zed for 6 and a half years, even if it was worth Zero today my depreciation would have been £340 a month. We bought Caroline's 313 roadster which I believe to be similar to your Zed for £17950 some 3 years ago and if we look at a value of around 10k today (it's only done 17,000 miles) then we've lost about £220 a month.

Pete