Just picked up a 350z

Hi all

I nearly bought slimjim's very nice 350z on here, but I discovered it for sale a few days before going off on holiday, and with him being about 300 miles from me it wasn't feasible to head down in time. I wasn't surprised to see it sold by the time I got back, but lucky for me a local dealer advertised a nice 2005 64k miles totally original 350z GT with Rays in my favoured black colour, so after a quick test drive a deposit was paid and I picked up the next day :).

I like the OEM look of a car, so won't be changing much on it. I was suprised at how poor the sound is from the Bose system - even by OEM standards it's pretty mediocre, let alone a so-called "premium" system. I had to put my hand next to the subwoofer to check it was actually working, and that was with the bass turned up on the head unit! So I might look into changing some of the audio gear, although it looks pretty difficult to find OEM looking double-DIN head units so I might try the iPod lead mod on the factory unit for now.

I'll try to grab some photos tomorrow and post them up.

Paul

:welcome:

The whole audio system is something that I have never been particularly happy with either. The Bose sound system never really seemed like it was much of a premium set up like they'd have you believe, especially since you need a special cable that was impossible to find (It was searching for that cable that led me to this forum :lol: ). With an after market head unit, it's definitely improved (My OEM randomly lowered the sound output without the volume dial changing).

If I had the cash I'd love to just strip the whole thing out and completely replace the system with something truly fitting for the Zed.

Thanks for the welcome all :)

As for the audio, I don't think there's anything wrong with it per se (in terms of not working properly), it's just not very good quality. I previously had an E36 BMW 3-series, where I replaced the factory head unit with a Becker unit. The Becker looks totally OEM, but has much better sound quality and a good iPod control interface and Bluetooth phone interface. Add in a pair of amplified 6x9 subwoofers replacing the OEM rear speakers to fill in some bass, and the sound quality was far superior to that of the Bose system in the Z, even retaining the OEM front speakers.

Unfortunately with the Z, it seems far more difficult to upgrade the head unit with something that looks OEM but has better sound quality and retains the steering wheel controls etc. Most of the double-DIN units on the market seem to be quite bling, which I don't really like. Some of the Android-based units look quite good though, although I'm aware that these Chinese products often don't live up to the claims in the adverts!

I'll continue to review previous posts on the audio front, and decide what direction I want to take in due course.