Not the best day for the Z

Exotic

So I go to where my Z should be parked... and nothing there.. a nice space instead of a 350Z. I ring the police and it turns out that it has been taken away by a company called JWB on behalf of Medway council. I get a contact number for JWB and they say Medway had issued a ticket on 27th October 2012, they couldn't give any other details than that and said I need to contact Medway for more details. But the best part is that if I don't pay then £790 pounds in 5 days the car will be auctioned. Now I am pretty sure that I never got a ticket then and if I had I would have paid it within the 14 days. Even if I hadn't paid I should surely have got some communication, but I haven't had a ticket or any letter! Does this sound fishy to any of you and what should I do, contact a lawyer?

Edited by Exotic

Thanks guys - all JWB could say it was a parking ticket. I asked if they would have photographic evidence and he said they (Medway council) should do. Funny thing is that I never got any prior notification of this and any parking tickets I pay within the 14 days. What worries me though is that they say the car will be auctioned in 5 days so legal advice would have to be swift to say the least, unless I can get some sort of restraint on that. I did move address in November last year though but I am sure I got no tickets at this time, if I had it would have been paid. I guess I need to speak to the Council is not much info at the moment. Bloody pi**ed off to say the least! :rant:

Edited by Exotic

Surely they can't auction your car over a parking ticket? Plus they will need the log book?

I would not be surprised if they are telling you porkies about the auction, sounds to me like a trick to try and scare you into paying up.

Get legal advice asap as this sounds fishy.

Surely they can't auction your car over a parking ticket? Plus they will need the log book?

I would not be surprised if they are telling you porkies about the auction, sounds to me like a trick to try and scare you into paying up.

Get legal advice asap as this sounds fishy.

They can and do seize vehicles and then auction them off, it's a kind of legalised theft. They don't need your log book as new documentation will be provided, the council will have a procedure for dealing with this. It's more often used for non payment of council tax than for parking offences though.

Pete

Sorry for late update on this but have got more information now. I moved address in July and was in temporary accommodation until I moved in to my new flat which I was buying. So I had changed my V5 doc and driving license when I moved in to my new flat in November, the same week in fact. When I’ve told Medway council they have said I needed to inform DVLA when I moved out of my old house so they couldn’t lift the impound. The offence was a bus lane incident which is correct and I was sent the photo, fair enough.

The council sent 5 letters to my old address, but I hadn’t got any of these which is probably cause the new owner of our house probably binned them as he was a bit of a miserable git. The council then instructed the impound in March this year so I am sure that JBW must have got my new address from DVLA as by then my details were updated with my new flat. But where it gets interesting is that I haven’t had any contact from JBW until a few days ago with a letter dated the 25th June. When I rang them they said they had sent a letter on the 5th June but no sign of that. I have a feeling they took my car without properly informing me but the dilemma is that each day goes by is like £30 per day so I have had to pay the fine and have thankfully got the car back, less screwed out of £800! I have sent a letter back to JBW to confirm if the process they followed was correct and to post appeal, as I literally had no contact or knowledge about the whole thing until my car was taken. Even if I had got the letter they supposedly sent on the 5th that would be a good few hundred off the fine.

So I guess make sure you inform DVLA when you leave any residence, in my case temporary accommodation meant I was living in between places, mixture of friends and family so only felt the need to inform DVLA once my completion date came through on my new property. Because of that it has left me in a very bad situation!