Painting engine cover. Advice needed

theheff

if your building your template with frog tape, make sure all the ends are scalpel or knife cut and not finger torn. any kind of funny edge and paint will seep under the edge. and the coats need to be light, heavy wet coats seep as well.

Strut is colder. The engine cover even after a 70MPH motorway journey gets to no more then 60-70, the strut is metal so yeah it will gather heat better, but its also good at loosing it, plus its connected to the car which could act as one large heatsink :)

if your painting bits in the engine just remember that plastic parts need a good plastic primer as it keeps the paint flexible and stops it chipping off. if its metal it needs a good metal primer, and if its aluminium it needs an ally primer.

I painted my engine cover with cellulose rattle cans, no heat issues :)

And with a combination of advice from Graham and Rich I did one with no problems at all.

Obviously best to key it first and if you want a really smooth finish then yes - lots of wet and dry required.

The nissan badge comes off by cutting the plastic welds at the back

the strut brace towers do some times have alot of dirt and stuff on them so they'd need a good clean first and a de grease with something like lighter fluid or meths. isoproponol wipes are even better. and then key the surface like ricey says.

Could you not use Vinyl's then put 200 coats of lacquer on to seal it in?

yes you can do, but he wants a faded pattern so the only way to do that is to see someone who can print on to vinyl and then print the image with the faded effect onto white vinyl then apply it. then clear coat over the top

So far so good on this. Its all primered up and is currently drying following wet and dry sanding to smooth it all down. Should be getting the black paint on throughout this evening and then onto the sunrise tomorrow. Ill keep it updated and try and get some pictures along the way.

4 Black coats are done and im happy with how it looks. Just waiting for it to dry.

Do i need to clear coat before masking up for the design or just go onto the black paint. If clear coat first how many coats, also how many coats to finish it off, is 2 enough?