Declaring Refused Insurance

Posidrive

I'm not trying to defraud anyone but the Price Comparison web sites are doing my head in because I get almost no quotes, I presume because I ticked the box that I had an inurance policy renewal refusal over 25 years ago for house contents after I was burgled 3 times in a year.

So, do I really need to declare this for motor insurance? The tick box on the price comparison sites appears genric about any kind of insurance rather than specific to motor inurance

Edited by Posidrive

Ring them and find out.

What I would do is get the quote without ticking that box, then call up your prospective insurer and explain the issue to them and see if they care or not. I suspect they won't.

25 years ago, wouldn't even bother mate the person on the other end of the line probably isn't even that old :lol:

+1 - even if they did have cause to look into your history - if it is that long ago I highly doubt there is a record of it anywhere :thumbs:

25 years ago, wouldn't even bother mate the person on the other end of the line probably isn't even that old :lol:

+1 - even if they did have cause to look into your history - if it is that long ago I highly doubt there is a record of it anywhere :thumbs:

There is now...

a friend of mine now seems to have to declare that she's been refused insurance - apparently she swore at some indians in whichever call centre

I'll try and see what the end results were

You're getting a quote for your car not your house, not relevant!

If you have an 11 year old dog no pet insurance will take you, does that mean you should tell a prospective insurance company that 19 years ago you couldn't insure your dog?

• Like 1

That's not what they asked, though.

They asked "Have you ever been refused insurance?", not "Have you ever been refused motor insurance?".

Surely we all have? Comparison sites get quotes from 100's of underwriters, surely some say no.

They asked "Have you ever been refused insurance?", not "Have you ever been refused motor insurance?".

Surely we all have? Comparison sites get quotes from 100's of underwriters, surely some say no.

My mate's an insurance broker, he said exactly the same as this. Also, when I worked in finance we kept records up to 7 years, nothing like 20.

I suppose what really pees me off about this is that I seem to be being penalised for something that is (a) not relevent to the risk of me being involved in any kind of motoring accident and (B) was not in any way my fault (I don't recall inviting the burglar into the house) :(. It peed me off enough when I had to take out short term rental contents for a flat a couple of years ago and had 10% added to the premium for honestly declaring it. Even more galling that if I had any criminal convictions (I don't) I would not have to declare them if they were spent.

I'm quite happy to contact our pet brokers again in a few weeks when it time for the annual pain of renewing the insurance but don't hold out much hope for a better deal than Admiral because of the high mileage that I do each year. Although I expect the usual **** taking renewal quote.

That's not being refusd insurance, that's an unwillingness to quote. It says on the sites something along the lines of "XXX company has declined to quote you", not "XXX has refused to insure you".

I really don't think it will make any difference, just do as I suggested in my first post and you'll be fine. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I work for an insurance broker and our underwriters couldn't give a monkeys about home insurance etc....

It's more to do with wanting to know if you have been untruthful in the past on a policy or not kept up to date with instalments and had a policy canceled as a result.

I admire your honesty tho.