Vinyl wrapping progress of my 370z Roadster...

cfoster

gold wheels would set it off and still work with the dark purple of the car, and if you plastidipped them that colour then its reversible as well.

Yeah that could be an idea but gold is very 'subaru', especially in Essex where I live!! A friend round the corner does plastidipping and manufacturers the tanks for it, interesting concept but not really for me!

gold wheels would set it off and still work with the dark purple of the car, and if you plastidipped them that colour then its reversible as well.

Yeah that could be an idea but gold is very 'subaru', especially in Essex where I live!! A friend round the corner does plastidipping and manufacturers the tanks for it, interesting concept but not really for me!

they do a anthracite kind of gunmetal finish as well.

Think you may be confusing hydro dipping with plasti dipping (because of the 'makes the tanks' reference). Two different kettles of fish.

Plastidip is a flexible coating applied like spray paint that is also removeable. Whatever you do, please DO NOT buy the gunmetal plasti dip - it doesn't loook like guns or metal as I found out at my own expense.

Ian, there is a new gunm

Think you may be confusing hydro dipping with plasti dipping (because of the 'makes the tanks' reference). Two different kettles of fish.

Plastidip is a flexible coating applied like spray paint that is also removeable. Whatever you do, please DO NOT buy the gunmetal plasti dip - it doesn't loook like guns or metal as I found out at my own expense.

Theres a new anthracite finish ian, its not like the primer one :) Its the one you should have bought haha

:) Its the one you should have bought haha

Haha. Thank you voice of hindsight. But I'm glad it didn't look very good TBH, as I now prefer the original look.

RTbiscuit - I think I am getting confused with the 2!! Is teh plasti one where you apply quite a lot of coats to get the finish, fairly slow process but very cheap and effective?

csscallum - overall I reckon I could do another one in about 2 1/2 days! One of the easiest cars i've done if being honest!

Dayy - yes mate standard front bumper but the middle bit is normally the same colour as the rest!

• 2 weeks later...

Nup pressure washing is fine, I've already washed it with my jetwash a few times already (bugs on the front!!) and not had a problem. Around the edges, things like wheel arches etc I imagine if you held the jetwash an inch from it it could catch an edge but so long as you're sensible its fine!

Would pressure washing be a problem? As im looking into getting my car wrapped too =)

Pressure wash it to death if you want. The vinyl wont lift unless its not stuck down properly. I.e if its starting to peel, the hose wont help. But if its flush and stuck down, it wont lift :)

You need to leave it outside for roughly 5days for it to set in place before power hosing.

Just got quoted 1600 to wrap the whole car!?!? :scare:

Then i asked how about just the roof in carbon fibre style , 300!?

Surely 3M vinyl doesnt cost that much.. :wacko:

Mostly labour cost. The vinyl itself is 40 for gloss, at a guess probably 70-80 for carbon. 300 for roof is quite expensive, but again a good garage with reputation will put prices up. Most will wrap a gloss black roof for 90ish. Carbon is a bit harder to work with to not stretch.

Edited by ddcboyle

Would pressure washing be a problem? As im looking into getting my car wrapped too =)

Pressure wash it to death if you want. The vinyl wont lift unless its not stuck down properly. I.e if its starting to peel, the hose wont help. But if its flush and stuck down, it wont lift :)

You need to leave it outside for roughly 5days for it to set in place before power hosing.

Mostly labour cost. The vinyl itself is 40 for gloss, at a guess probably 70-80 for carbon. 300 for roof is quite expensive, but again a good garage with reputation will put prices up. Most will wrap a gloss black roof for 90ish. Carbon is a bit harder to work with to not stretch.

They said 240 for gloss black on roof and quoted 2hours work.I did see some samples but i dont know if it was me being a perfectionist but i noticed overlaps on the window a pillars is that normal? or is it practically impossible to wrap a full car without lines?

Thanks Saskhi

They said 240 for gloss black on roof and quoted 2hours work.I did see some samples but i dont know if it was me being a perfectionist but i noticed overlaps on the window a pillars is that normal? or is it practically impossible to wrap a full car without lines?

Thanks Saskhi

Roof should be perfect. You take the door pillars off, tuck the vinyl there and place pillars back over for perfect finish. At the front, tuck it under the rubber seal, at the back it just dips down and covered by the boot. Shouldnt be any overlaps or creases for a roof. Even I dont have that on my car and it was d.i.y lol. Only part thats hard to cover up is the actual boot, as you cant tuck under the rubber seal of the glass.

Edit: this is for a 350z. Not sure how a 370 matches up

Edited by ddcboyle

Ahh mine is a Skyline but im sure it should be roughly the same! I phoned around and got quoted 120 for the roof so i think il just go ahead with that for now. Are there any problems with vinyl sticking to plastic trims like wingmirror baseplates for example?

Ahh mine is a Skyline but im sure it should be roughly the same! I phoned around and got quoted 120 for the roof so i think il just go ahead with that for now. Are there any problems with vinyl sticking to plastic trims like wingmirror baseplates for example?

wingmirror baseplates? Vinyl doesnt stick too good to plastic as it is. Generally, if its got lacquer, vinyl will stick to it. I cant wrap interior trim but others here have said theyve done it. Ive found vinyl doesnt stick properly and lifts, so Id rather spray.

not sure if that covered question. The original owner of the thread may be able to answer it better as hes done alot more with vinyl