Running a business

Sarah 350z

To be real honest, it helps to talk about it.

And it does in most cases take an outsider to point out that you just cannot work all the time and that you need to learn to just switch off.

I myself have been in a bad place until it erupted and I lashed out on a company vehicle and was dismissed for gross misconduct.

It was then where I realised that I only thought I was "ok" until I took time to talk to somebody and sort myself out.

It helped me a great deal and the story had a happy ending as I have been reinstated over a year ago.

Now I am not saying that you are in this position yourself, but if you don't take time out for yourself, you may end up on that path.

Take the time to do something that genuinely makes you happy, and none of this "My work makes me happy"

It you and you alone that decides whether you turn that phone off or not. If you are a good dog groomer, then I am sure your clients know this and are more than willing to wait for good service, it's their little darlings after all.

Hope you figure it out. No good being successful and miserable ;)

• Like 1

Doubt you'll be able to switch off if that's the sort of person you are.

If you are struggling though, might be worth trying to get a mentor to help you, there's loads of mentoring sites and I think a lot of them are free.

I still actively think about work outside of my working hours but I think there comes a point were you have to think is it worth stressing too much over the little things.

At the end of the day we're a long time dead so make the most of things whilst you can.

Use have all just summed it up right there. It's nice to hear other people's situations so thanks Bulletmagnet for sharing that :) definitely think the music would be a good one Superstu. flexib that's a really good idea I never really thought of that tbh. My salon is in the back garden so like yourself DoogyRev I do the same thing. I guess we are all different and it will be about finding what works for me thanks guys for the input.

I work 2 days a week in a hospital (sat+ sun). The other 5 days i train twice a day. Tae kwon- Do, Thai Boxing, BJJ and MMA and strength and conditioning training. Here's my schedule, lol.

Mon: AM weight training, PM circuit training, thai boxing, bjj

Tues: AM weight training, PM Tae kwon-do

Wed: AM Thai boxing (sparring), PM MMA, BJJ

Thurs: AM weight training, PM tae kwon-Do

Fri: AM weight training, PM thai boxing, BJJ

Sat: work

Sun: work

I also do a bit of teaching at a local boxing club when i train there, teaching pad work, sparring and S+C.

Now i'm getting a bit older and after 2 knee operations i was thinking about slowing down a bit, it lasted 2 days then back to usual, lol.

Edited by stuarty

I have a REAL problem with this, to the point where it's now an actual OCD for me.

I run a mortgage business and have two ebay stores that sell around 400 items a month.

There is literally never a moment when I'm not working.

The main problem being that I work from home meaning there is never a time when I'm not working. I know people who have to go out to work think that working from home would be great but I'm jealous of people who can come home from work, turn their phone off and not worry or think about work until 9am the next morning.

I often get ear ache from the Mrs for working till midnight most nights of the week and very rarely do I not have a laptop attached to my lap. The problem that I have is that there is no such thing as having finished my work, there is ALWAYS something I could or should be doing!

I have to plan in advance when me and the Mrs are going to do things, and then when I'm not at home my OCD kicks in and I stress about whats happening whilst I'm away!

I'm going to portugal next week and I'll be taking my laptop with me. Bizarrely it helps me relax to be able to check on things as otherwise I'd be going crazy at the thought of clients mortgages going to pot or ebay customer question not being answered!!

#OCD

:blush:

christ - you've just described me :blush::wacko::surrender:

Alongide my full time job (global event manager for a major investment bank) I have a signwriting business. Had it for about 14 years now, anything from van signwriting to shop fronts, digital print, stickers, number plates etc. Been wrapping cars for about 4 years now as well. Also do t-shirt embroidery and recently started doing canvas printing (and testing acrylic art as well!). Keeps me busy, I never advertise anywhere and can pretty much choose the work I do around my perm.job (travel a fair bit so sometimes awkward!! I'd go insane if I was sat in front of the tv every night!!

I just wish I could switch the phone off for a week and have no complaints lol

Take a holiday. That's what the wife and I do to unwind and relax.

I'm in Menorca relaxing right now. :p

But stress can be easily removed I find punching a bag or a good long run walk run helps.

When I say a bag. "I don't mean beating the wife :lol:

• Like 1

I just wish I could switch the phone off for a week and have no complaints lol

Take a holiday. That's what the wife and I do to unwind and relax.

I'm in Menorca relaxing right now. :p

But stress can be easily removed I find punching a bag or a good long run walk run helps.

When I say a bag. "I don't mean beating the wife :lol:

Yip agree!

My dad and mum worked about 100 hours a week (self employed) from the month before I was born until I was 21, then they dropped down to 50 after that. So my Dad's first holiday since I was born was when I was 21. He had a two week gap and went to India with my mum, grandma and brother.

What did he do in his spare time when he had some? He spent it building his property portfolio. Now when he retires in just over 4 years, he'll be able to do anything he wants.

My dad and mum worked about 100 hours a week (self employed) from the month before I was born until I was 21, then they dropped down to 50 after that. So my Dad's first holiday since I was born was when I was 21. He had a two week gap and went to India with my mum, grandma and brother.

What did he do in his spare time when he had some? He spent it building his property portfolio. Now when he retires in just over 4 years, he'll be able to do anything he wants.

Wow!! Hats off to your parents. I will work all the hours I can its just the switching off thing I struggle with. My aim is exactly that would love a property portfolio but that's in a far away future but we all need goals to work for etc

• Like 1

I kinda agree with FlexiB that if it's down to your personality you'll may struggle more than others to switch off :( I'm lucky enough to be self-employed and work long hours but I'm very laid back and don't let much stuff bother me. My other half is a bit of a worrier and I think if he was self employed he'd have a very tough time switching off. I tend to work from 7.30am-5.00pm most of the time but near Christmas can do up to 16 hours a day and like others have said having a separate room in the house helps.

Sometimes if I'm having a bit of a hard day I treat myself to a blast round the countryside in the Zed and that seems to do the trick. I'm also getting a dog soon so I can go for walks as I'm aware that sometimes I can go for a couple of days without leaving the house which doesn't bother me but probably isn't good for anyone. I guess you must get plenty of exercise with the dog grooming business tho!

Incidentally I'm another one who does t-shirt printing and signage...seems to be a few of us now on the forum.

Dog grooming does sound ossum fun :D I was at the National dog show in Stafford at the weekend...some of the hair do's on the poodles are pretty crazy. I'd never been to a dog show before and can honestly say it was the highest concentration of eccentics in any one place that I've ever been to. Except from my very brief soiree to the Wales meet last year :p

S.

• Like 1

I've never been a holiday kinda girl lol my head would go into over drive with all that time on my hands lol

Holidays don't have to be on the beach! I spent two weeks trying to see everything in Peru and it's a big place. I never stopped moving, loved every minute, came back shattered - but in a good way!

• Like 1

It sounds like I'm like your partner Squee. I am a worrier I'm my own worst enemy I tend to worry about things that haven't even happened ffs!! Lol

I get plenty of excercise with both my jobs and obviously you need to be on the ball all the time especially with the veterinary nursing.

Good luck when getting your new family member :)

I've never been a holiday kinda girl lol my head would go into over drive with all that time on my hands lol

Holidays don't have to be on the beach! I spent two weeks trying to see everything in Peru and it's a big place. I never stopped moving, loved every minute, came back shattered - but in a good way!

You are quite right my other half was talking about us going away abroad to watch a rally which I would love I think

I think I must join the "self-employed with a tendency to overwork" camp as well :surrender: I also run a T-shirt printing/garment embroidery business (hello all you others out there :teeth: ) and I find myself working all hours just to get the work done because I like to be up to date. I had another business prior to this and I really did overwork, just like Squee says, in the run up to Christmas when all hell would break loose for a few weeks. I made myself ill a few times and finally decided that it wasn't worth it so I sold that business and took a year off to renovate the cottage. It was a great year and went by very quickly and I got loads of work done on the house but eventually I knew that I needed to knuckle down to some paid work again as I was starting to get bored :blush:

Give yourself a complete break for a couple of weekends is my advice Sarah 350z, especially if you can have the week off from vet nursing in between as well. You will feel so much better after re-charging your batteries :)

I am self employed with 3 small businesses. I like to be busy but to relax I plan a full weekends activitys at motorsport events out to dinner special events etc. This way I keep buzzing without working. I get bored quick without a focus for each day. My relaxation is to get out meet people and visit new places and usually a good drive in the z.

• Like 1

It sounds like I'm like your partner Squee. I am a worrier I'm my own worst enemy I tend to worry about things that haven't even happened ffs!! Lol

I get plenty of excercise with both my jobs and obviously you need to be on the ball all the time especially with the veterinary nursing.

Good luck when getting your new family member :)

The problem that I have is not that I am a worrier, its that my clients worry massively.

If only I was printing T-shirts or sending out items to people who are awaiting a frivolous item like a gear knob. Being in mortgages, most of my clients are buying their first home and are massively stressed. If they aren't then they are when the Estate Agent starts putting pressure on them!!

Clients then transfer all their stress to me and expect me to do something about it.

Harryjax suggested I take a holiday, which is fine and I am. But I can't say to my clients;

"I'm closed next week, sorry if your whole chain pulls out and you lose thousands of pounds because they don't want to wait any longer because your mortgage broker is drinking mojito's in Portugal"

The weird thing is, I like the pressure :blush:

was talking about us going away abroad to watch a rally which I would love I think

You should humour your good man, it will do you good to be away and switch off, and will probably do your relationship good to have time together enjoying the rally. ;)

The weird thing is, I like the pressure :blush:

Some people thrive under pressure. Probably just as well you do.

The problem that I have is not that I am a worrier, its that my clients worry massively.

If only I was printing T-shirts or sending out items to people who are awaiting a frivolous item like a gear knob. Being in mortgages, most of my clients are buying their first home and are massively stressed. If they aren't then they are when the Estate Agent starts putting pressure on them!!

You'd be surprised how uptight some customers get over a sodding t-shirt. And telling them that just get's them very upset. So I dread to think what your customers are like :S ;)

Go to the rally Sarah350 - looks like great fun :)

S.