Do I have a supercharger?!

smudgedon

Driving home last night and could hear a really faint whine that matched the revs of the engine

Couldn't hear it with the window open, only with them closed and music off coz its so quiet

Either someone's installed a tiny supercharger on my car or I'm guessing something to do with gearbox or flywheel? Any thoughts?

I've had a whining sound in my car before. The faster I went, the louder and more annoying it got. As I slowed down it would get quieter and if I came to a standstill, it would sometimes disappear altogether.

But once I started off again, the whining started and if I put my foot down, it got annoyingly loud and whiney again.

But once I'd dropped the other half off, it stopped :teeth:

• Like 11

I've had a whining sound in my car before. The faster I went, the louder and more annoying it got. As I slowed down it would get quieter and if I came to a standstill, it would sometimes disappear altogether.

But once I started off again, the whining started and if I put my foot down, it got annoyingly loud and whiney again.

But once I'd dropped the other half off, it stopped :teeth:

:clap: You are alone with that 'issue'. :lol:

What's also annoying for me is the 4 finger sized holes that have appeared in each side of the passenger seat :blush:

• Like 1

this is quite funny y don't you pop the bonnet and look instead of asking a forum? Lol

Oh ye I forgot I could take a look under the bonnet whilst the car is moving in gear....

So is it an issue I need to take care of or is it is just a "trait" of the Zed?

Does it do it going along in gear and does it change if you put it in neutral and coast.

Does it make a difference if you push the clutch down.

Need to work out if the noise is related to being in gear or not and if its under load or not.

Here`s a few things to try.

Next step is sit there in neutral and focus on the noise then see if it changes when you push the clutch down.

Are you sure its up front.

Dont rule out something like a fuel pump whine...... noise could travel through the car.

Might be worth seeing if there is anything when just sitting with the ignition on and the car not running.

Could also be something like an alternator or power sterring.

If sitting in neutral with the car idling does the noise change as you move the steering from side to side.