DRL Reflectors Built

cs2000

Hey all, was going to post this in Electronics and I.C.E, but then also fits in Styling, so put in out here instead!

Inspired by some other builds I took this on with a little advice from a few other members. My silver Zed originally came with some plastic, carbon looking LED's in the original reflector holes. I never likes these, I simply don't think a big black strip looks right on a silver car.

So, off to eBay to buy some silver reflectors. these are available, genuine Nissan, for around £50, but seeing as I was going to butcher them I didn't want to waste that amount of cash, so I plumped for these eBay Reflectors. They arrived within a week which wasn't bad from America!

My original idea was for 6 LED's, seemingly what most people go for. I started out by finding the mid point of the reflectors and drawing a line on the rear so I knew where to drill. The reflectors have a small, 3-4mm gap between the silver rear surface and the clear front, you need to drill carefully to avoid touching the clear front with the drill! The first time I did this I realised I had drilled 1 LED too high on each set, so, straight in the bin they went :(

7 days later I started again, took more care this time with my mid-point calculations, I then started drilling. Before I knew it I had 7 holes and not 6...somehow...but I decided this was fine and continued.

This, was my original wiring plan. 7 LED's wired in in series. Joined together by soldering the legs.

IMG_1747.jpg

So (having not soldered for a while and being a little rusty) I spent 30 mins orso soldering this up on each reflector, whacked a 12v car battery onto them and ..... no light. Crap.

I then slid the negative wire down the set of LED's, when I got to the last set of 3 they lit up :D, I assumed I may have wired the 4th LED in backwards, so proceeded to de-solder this one, check the two sets of 3 and solder in another led, finally....no light :rant:

After 45 mins orso of swearing and wonder WTF was going on I figured it out. Resistance. The LED's ONLY worked if you had 1, 2 or 3. As soon as you attached 4, nothing. So, this was my solution. I later on dug the silicone out of the middle hole and wired in a single LED as I didn't like the gap!

IMG_1748.jpg

So, next was to seal everything, here is the start of the siliconing, I carried on filling this up totally with silicone and flattened it out as best I could. Basically I was just trying to stop water getting into the actual reflector lens, or touching the electronics.

IMG_1749.jpg

From here I left the silicone to dry for 48 hrs and then hooked these up to a battery, firstly to test they still worked, and secondly to burn test them. I left them lit up for 24 hours solid and then (using the little in-line controller seen in the bottom right of the photo) set them rapidly flashing for 24 hrs. The last thing I wanted was to have these things die after a few days on the car!

IMG_1750.jpg

So, then they sat like this for a few weeks. Eventually I worked out a way in my head I was happy to wire them in and a few days ago I fitted them. Photos are below.

IMG_1833.jpg

IMG_1832.jpg

IMG_1834.jpg

IMG_1835.jpg

In the day they just look like normal reflectors, which I like :)

IMG_1837.jpg

Edited by cs2000
  • Like 1

Looks good cs2000

Agree the darker ones would like kind of funny against the silver car.

Hopefully the dark ones I got from you will be okay against azure...my current reflectors are dark.

If not, I'll follow your link and have a go at making them.

Cheers

Edited by aidan

they look really good, if i wasn't about to be hit by OFSTED tomorrow i'd have come over and had a look.

they are far better than alot fo others, yours blend better in to a more solid beam of light compared to others where you can see the individual LEDS more prounounced.

@ Mattross - These are the ones I used.eBay link They come with resistors but if youre using just 1 LED, these are needed, as I found out, if you using 3 in series the LED's themselves create enough resistance. They are 12v 5MM diodes.

@FUG - The fitment on these is perfect. Aside from the markings on the back that say made in Taiwan, if I had bought the car from new with these fitted I would have assumed they were genuine Nissan.

@rtbiscuit - Cheers :) I cant remember now (im not driving to work this week, car sharing with a colleague) but I think you can still kind of see the LED's themselves, but the uneven reflector surface does help to break up the lights so it does spread out.

Glad everybody likes them anyway. The original plan was to make and sell these, but its a good 10 hours work at least in each one set and £25-30 in materials, too much time!

In all honestly, I suspect 99% of people can make these, the soldering stuff is fairly easy, just takes a lot of measurements to make sure your mid line and drill holes are perfect, a very small difference is glaringly obvious once the LED's are illuminated.

Edited by cs2000

Build them them. The most complex tool I needed was a soldering iron. Entire thing only took:

1x Screwdriver

1x Soldering iron

14x 30,000MCD 5mm LED's

2x Clear reflectors

1x Tube of clear Silicone

2-3x Metres of wire

pretty simple really :)

Thanks for the eBay link CS. I have just ordered a set of 20, I ordered the reflectors the reflectors this morning too from the US of A. This will keep me busy for a few evenings in the garage :) Would you recommend 7 in each or would there be room to get a few more in? I dont want over load it though.

Matt :)

Thanks for the eBay link CS. I have just ordered a set of 20, I ordered the reflectors the reflectors this morning too from the US of A. This will keep me busy for a few evenings in the garage :) Would you recommend 7 in each or would there be room to get a few more in? I dont want over load it though.

Matt :)

If you bring them down here we can melt them in the furnace :lol:

Yes mattross1313 , don't do what I did and waste a million hours of your life figuring wtf is going on. You could add more LED's in, but as I say, I was aiming for 6 and got 7 and was happy with that, id say you would struggle to get more then 12 in, and then bear in mind the extra wires you and up soldering!

I someone wants a set or two built I don't mind doing a few, id advise however going without the LED controller, just complicated things in terms of wiring and adds more complexity.