DRL Reflectors Built

cs2000

Aiden, it's hard to say. Another led is (roughly) 16% more LEDs then 6 so it will be brighter but mine are also 30,000mcd and I don't know the power of the ones you purchased.

Shaun, defiantly possible, those LEDs are plenty bright enough.

Shouls start to get things arriving this week for my attempt at doing this. I have just bought another set of LEDs from eBay, same power as the previous ones but these have a wide output - around 160 degrees or so. Might help give more of a bar of light as opposed to focused points of light. We'll see :)

Where did you wire yours into mate?

Wired mine into the sidelights :)

You will have to let me know how these go, the white ones are rated between 16,000 and 20,000 MCD where the ones I used were 30,000.

I am actually collecting parts together to sell a limited number of these, a few wiring modifications based on what ive learnt, will probably stick with the 30,000 ones for the set im building anyway, but interesting to see the results of yours too!

I have both sets coming in the mail from the wonders of HK so will compare the brightness. Looking at the description of the ebay link to your LEDs it says 8000-10,000 mcd, however the title says 30,000. Not sure if the seller is trying to pull a fast one.

I'll no doubt be dropping you a PM when they land off the boat so i can double check some wiring info if thats OK :)

Matt

A massive gray aream, but really, no. See the documents below, but this is from an official VOSA representative

"Currently DRLs are not inspected as part of the MOT and retro-fitting DRL will not result in a test failure regardless of their placement"

However, really, since these lights aren't E marked they aren't road legal, but that's going by the letter of the law 100% which nobody enforces, even bulbs have to be E marked to be road legal, so LED bulbs from hong kong would fall foul of this law even.

"E marked" rules are below for reference ;)

An E-mark guarantees an automotive product complies with European vehicle legislation. In the UK, national implementation of Construction and Use Regulation 95/54/EC has made it a criminal offense to use a car with a non-E-marked part fitted. The automotive bulb market is covered by Regulation No. 37, revision 4, defining which bulbs necessitate an E-mark. In general, bulbs that are fitted in external positions on a vehicle must abide by this legislation, although some interior lamps, for example those used in the courtesy lights on the vehicle doors, also require approval.

Furthermore any lamp unit that is E-marked must have E-marked bulbs fitted. The number accompanying the E-mark is not an indication of the quality of the product, a common misconception, but indicates the country in which the testing took place. All countries test the bulbs in the same way against the same standards, ensuring uniformity of the bulbs. Consequently no individual E number can be associated with any superiority in quality.

E1 Germany, E2 France, E3 Italy, E4 The Netherlands, E6 Belgium, E9 Spain, E11 United Kingdom, E13 Luxembourg, E18 Denmark, E21 Portugal, E23 Greece, E24 Ireland, etc. The main checks performed to assess E-mark applicability for bulbs include:

• Dimensional checks ensure a tolerant lamps beam pattern

• Electrical checks certify that the power of the lamp does not exceed the rated value

• The brightness of the bulb, rated in Lumens, is appraised by photometry inspection

• Colour temperature tests check that the colour of the light emitted from the bulb is predominantly white.

It is important to note that life cycle is not part of E-mark testing and therefore differs greatly between manufacturers. It is essential to pick a well-respected brand in order to assert confidence in the longevity of the bulbs.

A legitimate E-marked bulb will have numerous details stamped upon it. These include the E-number followed by a 3 digit approval code unique to the manufacturer and product. The trade mark or brand name should also be issued, along with the rated volts, watts and the letter U if the lamps UV output is tolerable. If the bulb does not possess these stamps, there is a good chance the E-mark is not legitimate.

However, Someone handily wrote a letter asking about the legality of retro-fitting DRL style lights, here is a helpful response from VOSA. this states DRL's are not part of the current MOT test, but simply have to comply with other road lighting rules.

All vehicles used on the roads in the UK must comply with the Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989, as amended (Statutory instrument 1989 No. 1796). These Regulations do not mandate the fitment of Daytime running lights on vehicles. Furthermore, the lighting regulations contain no requirements for optionally retro-fitted DRL. Therefore there are no detailed legal requirements on the placement of optionally fitted DRL in the UK. If DRL are retro-fitted they must comply with the general requirements of the lighting regulations including that they should not be used so as to cause dazzle or discomfort to other road users. A small number of older vehicles are required to be fitted with dim-dip devices or as an alternative “running lamps†but that is unlikely to be the case for a vehicle registered in 2011.

The figures quoted for placement (a height between 250 mm and 1500mm, distance between the inner edge of the two lamps of at least 600mm) appear to be based on those specified in the UNECE Regulation on lighting installation, UNECE Regulation 48, which is available at:

http://www.unece.org/trans/main/wp29/wp29regs41-60.html

These requirements are compulsory for vehicle manufacturers wishing to obtain EC type approval for their vehicles and can be considered as helpful guidelines for those wishing to optionally retro fit DRL to ensure they are effective.

Currently DRLs are not inspected as part of the MOT and retro-fitting DRL will not result in a test failure regardless of their placement. If future changes to the MOT scheme bring DRL within the scope, consideration will need to be given as to how to treat retro-fitted DRL.

The current DfT publication on daytime running lights remains valid.

I hope you find this helpful.

Edited by cs2000

Cool, OK, thanks for that bud. I guess it'll be down to the MOT tester in question and if he (or she), is a jobsworth.

The one I used for my last MOT gave me an advisory as I had 'engine covers fitted preventing access to certain components' (the OEM engine covers) and also an advisory for 'items restricting the drivers view' (an air freshner).

I won't be going back there next year.

I'm off for my hols in May. If I can save some Euro's from my spending fund, I'll be in touch when I return mate (and after I've converted the currency back to GBP obviously)!

Advisory for the air freshner!! Wow!! Were they having some sort of bonus if you gave away X amount of advisories in a month or something? What a josbworth!

I know you found that placment of these should have no bearing on an MOT failure etc, and i doubt it would matter anyway. Bt maybe routing a small kill switch into the cabin, or even near the battery comaprtment might be an idea so that they can be safely turned off and no-one would be any the wiser (unless you went nose close to the reflectors and saw the clear LEDs).

I can do that for you. il get one after work, so excuse the scabby looking NCP car park, and the rather dirty car at the moment.

If someone did want to wire up an extra switch it wouldn't be difficult. I personally don't like having a switch for them though.

Edited by cs2000

Of course they can. There are plenty of ignition live wires in the engine bay. I simply chose to use the Sidelights as they were close to where the reflectors sit, and at least I have a little control of when theyre on and off.

But yes, absolutely no reason why you cant wire to an ignition 12v feed.

• Like 1

Some daytime pics would be sweet - bit late now though seeing as I already bought everything I need haha!!

Not sure if the same applies to Zeds, however a friend did this on a BMW and took the ignition feed from the ABS unit. This way the lights came on with IGN and stayed on for around 5 seconds after turning off the engine. Was pretty cool

Il see what I can do later, if I can find any photos online! Don't fancy taking my bumper apart this evening! Lol

It's very simple though. Just use the scotch locks and clamp them onto two wires, done. That's how mine are set up :)

I will include printed instructions in the ones I sell so nobody is confused about how to wire them in.

Edited by cs2000

Daylight photos, a little hard as car was in sunlight as you can see by the terrible photo :(

C59C1BE4-DE9A-4A98-9D6E-E1CD70FB9F1D-4950-000003A697475AF6.jpg

And Dblock, This photo is stolen from a write-up by jep350z, the cable show is here. In all reality, its a bumper off job to fit these. I personally did it with the bumper all unscrewed, but not actually removed from the car.

LED%20(6).JPG

Edited by cs2000