DRL Reflectors Built

cs2000

heh, best of luck. I wouldn't have been able to help anyways, im at work and :ninja: Ninja browsing the forum... but I think I already know what you're doing. Im guessing you are trying to avoid soldering and are looking to buy one of those LED strips yes??

Edited by cs2000

Those Jelly like strips im thinking of will bend. I have used loads of them in the past. My reason for enquiring however is I don't want anyone to waste their time.

I first used these as fish tank lights. Had them running on a proper step down transformer. The first set got so hot they melted the fish tank lid. The second set slowly died. The LED's are wired in 3's and after 3-4 months over half of them had died.

I then used them on my Celica. I oven-baked the lights open and stuck these down in-side the lens to create some nice DRL's. Sadly, again 2-3 months later they started to fail. I replaced them both again and the same exact thing happened.

They are good whilst they last, I just didn't find them durable. The best kind of LED is a SMT version, these don't seem to blow really unless you over-volt them obviously.

Hey CS,

No not looking to use the strips of LEDs - I did think about using them but as said above i think they will look a little amateur. I am keeping this plan close to my chest for now (incase it fails haha). However if it does work I will post up my work, if it fails I have lots of LED's spare to follow the setup like yours :) It is a long shot, but if it works as I hope I think they will be more visible during the day. watch this space :) .....

I agree with the waterproof strips of 24xLED's - I used these on an old MR2. I fitted some to the front sidelights and two sets to the rear. They looked really good IMO but as said after time they begin to fail and small blocks of 3 LEDs fail. I planned on doing something like this to the rear of the Zed but after melting one rear light in the oven, and the proven reliability issues i decided to just buy a set of LED ones from the US.

Here are the LEDs on my MR2.

DSCF1171.gif

DSCF1111.jpg

2008_1207CI.jpg

DSCF1103.jpg

Fair enough! Look forward to seeing your secret plan ;)

Mine are fairly bright in the day, but obviously look best when not in direct sunlight. I did think about fitting lens's to the front, but decided I wanted to go for an OEM look and this would ruin that.

Edited by cs2000