Finally fitted Chrome Plated Plenum cover -

ianphampton

Finally comlpeted a job after about 3 years -

I wanted a polished plenum and as I didn't want to have my girl off the road while I polished the plenum - I bought another one from a breaker, and polished that. It was fitted about 3 years ago.

So, then I had my original one spare - and right away I knew I wanted it Chrome plated. The downside was - there was no prressure, no rush, I had a nice polished one fitted in my girl . . . so time passed, and it's taken about 3 years to get it all the way through the various polishing stages. About 10 days ago I took it to the platers, and picked it up on Friday. Fitted it today !

So - here it is - first one is as I collected it B)

ChromedPlenum_zps69e367a4.jpg

Here it is fitted

URL=http://s1194.photobucket.com/user/ianphampton/media/2013-04-21ChromedPlenumfitted_zps45f5b92e.jpg.html]2013-04-21ChromedPlenumfitted_zps45f5b92e.jpg[/url]

2013-04-21ChromedPlenumClose-Up_zps1f53c730.jpg

Plan now is to take the 'plain polished' one back to the plater and Chrome plate that, too - hopefully it'll be done in time to bring it to Wales in May.

looks good. is the inside of the plenum plated too or did you have a way of blanking it off?

The inside is plated as well -

Chrome doesn't plate on Aluminium very well so he plated it with Nickel first - then the Chrome on top of that

The inside is obviously plated but as I hadn't polished it, it's still looks sort of grainy - shiny blue-white / silver but still grainy

looks good. is the inside of the plenum plated too or did you have a way of blanking it off?

Chrome doesn't plate on Aluminium very well so he plated it with Nickel first - then the Chrome on top of that

The inside is obviously plated but as I hadn't polished it, it's still looks sort of grainy - shiny blue-white / silver but still grainy

cool. is there any chance of the chrome flaking/peeling off inside the plenum with the heat?

I suggest you refit the polished one and put the chrome one up for sale as scrap for say £20....

1st dibs :teeth:

SMD - "Plan now is to take the 'plain polished' one back to the plater and Chrome plate that, too - hopefully it'll be done in time to bring it to Wales in May."

This isn't a 'for sale' thread as I haven't got a pic of the item to sell - but when I get it back it'll probably be available for about £185

cool. is there any chance of the chrome flaking/peeling off inside the plenum with the heat?

Because of the adhesion problems, he wouldn't give a guarantee, but he thinks it unlikely - especially on the inside as the 'grainy' surface is a good key for the plating - and that's also why he put the Ni on as 'undercoat' before the Cr. The plating is only microns - so very thin - I'll give you a fuller answer in a few months when she's run a few thousand miles with it

I suggest you refit the polished one and put the chrome one up for sale as scrap for say £20....

SMD - "Plan now is to take the 'plain polished' one back to the plater and Chrome plate that, too - hopefully it'll be done in time to bring it to Wales in May."

This isn't a 'for sale' thread as I haven't got a pic of the item to sell - but when I get it back it'll probably be available for about £185

Ooops, sorry about the double post

Edited by ianphampton

Hi Ian, looks great B)

I know you are local to me, would be interested to know who plated it for you as I will need quite a few Jag bits doing but given that this is something I know nothing about would rather use someone local and more importantly, recommended.

Does that mean its £370 :p

I was only joking :blush: my engine bay is down and dirty :surrender:

Does that mean its £370 :p

I was only joking :blush: my engine bay is down and dirty :surrender:

Just like you! ;)

Nickel is always done prior to chrome.The best chrome is copper,nickel then chrome but on ally the nickel,chrome works as long as you look after it.I customise motorcycles and I go to the chromers nearly every week.Your plenum looks good though very nice.Winter job for me as I have only had the Z 10 weeks.:teeth: