Vehicle wrapping - why?

twobears

Can someone please explain the point of wrapping to me because I just don't get it at the moment? I can sort of see the point for chrome etc effects but other than that why is it done? I especially don't get the carbon fibre look because I really don't like the effect that it gives. Is there some advantage to wrapping i.e. you can remove it and the paintwork is preserved intact and in its original colour? Is it a lot cheaper than a re-spray?

They can damage the paint upon removal, yes. And a decent wrap is nigh-on the same cost as the equivalent spray job.

I don't really see the point either, unless you can pick up a cheap car in Resale Silver and then wrap it to a decent colour. Now there's a good idea...

They can damage the paint upon removal, yes. And a decent wrap is nigh-on the same cost as the equivalent spray job.

I don't really see the point either, unless you can pick up a cheap car in Resale Silver and then wrap it to a decent colour. Now there's a good idea...

Already being done up here. Mostly in the old boxsters, A guy buys all the horrible old mint green boxsters, wraps them either white or black and gets a tidy little profit.

Um, conflicting views. I am back to wondering 'Why"? again now :dry: I suppose it is probably a horses for courses type of modification. I, personally, can't see the point unless it is way cheaper than a respray or you are going for a sci-fi type shiny metallic finish.

I think its because you can go a radical colour which is totally personal and then once you want to sell the car, just get it peeled off professionally to the standard colour. If you go to a quality dealer, they are insured for the big " what if" the paint starts to peel off with the wrap.

• Like 1

When working at marshall in cambirdge a few of the GTR owners where getting new cars wrapped in the same colour so when they came to sell it they got it removed and there would be no stone chip or anything as if it just rolled out the factory bodywork wise, weather it worked or not i dont know

Wrapping a different colour is different to the clear shield protection. 500pound to change your car colour, and can go for crazy colour like mine. Green is hard to resell so you just peel it off to the original colour when reselling.

Spraypainting is like 2grand, and you don really know if its actually a good job done, and cant remove if you don like it :)

No way can you get a full wrap done to a quality standard using quality materials for £500.

I had my last 350z wrapped by one of the biggest wrappers in the country for £900, going back a few years mind you. A respray would cost 3 times that wouldn't it!?

Im with cs200 here, my wrap cost in over £1500 in total, but it was well worth it as they did a fantastic job, actually wrapping round the edges, taking off all necessary parts, it's not the wrapping youre paying for but the care and labour that goes into it to get it right.

Spraying a car properly would require them to take off the paint back down to the metal and respraying layer by layer as well as masking off edges. So i would say a good spray job would be in excess of £4k.

And if you get it professionally removed i can't see there being any damage to the paintwork especially that the companies that make the wraps make special removers to help with taking off the wraps. And at the same time if peeling off some wrapping can damage paintwork, the paintwork can't be particularly good in the first place.

So will I get the chance to see your wrapped car in Wales Octet? I have never seen one close up so I would be interested to see the finish :) I do like the turquoise colour as you already know.

You may have to be moving fast to see that Zed close up ;):lol: