370 steering lock issue - recall - action

Will370z

it's Cars with a VIN number UP TO 0300691 and build date UP TO 24th March 2010 that the recall applies to.

Recall number is P3208

I seem to remember that there is a code on the barrel that you can see if you fold yourself upside down to get at ........ but can't find what that code was

This is the official Nissan recall detail in P3208:

Reference:

NTB13-014

Date:

March 7, 2013

VOLUNTARY SERVICE CAMPAIGN 2009 – 2011 STEERING LOCK UNIT

CAMPAIGN ID #:

APPLIED VEHICLES: 2009 – 2010 370Z (Z34)

INTRODUCTION

P3208

2009 – 2011 GTR (R35)

Check Service COMM to confirm campaign eligibility.

Nissan is conducting a Voluntary Service Campaign to replace the steering lock assembly on certain specific 2009 – 2010 model year 370Z and 2009 – 2011 model year GTR vehicles due to excessive oil within the assembly, which could cause the Body Control Module (BCM) to prevent the engine from starting when the ignition is cycled. This issue does not affect steering or engine operation when the vehicle is already running.

IDENTIFICATION NUMBER

Nissan has assigned identification number P3208 to this campaign. This number must appear on all communications and documentation of any nature dealing with this campaign.

DEALER RESPONSIBILITY

Dealers are to repair vehicles falling within range of this campaign that enter the service department. This includes vehicles purchased from private parties, vehicles presented by transient (tourists) owners, and vehicles in a dealer’s inventory

Nissan Bulletins are intended for use by qualified technicians, not 'do-it-yourselfers'. Qualified technicians are properly trained individuals who have the equipment, tools, safety instruction, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. NOTE: If you believe that a described condition may apply to a particular vehicle, DO NOT assume that it does. See your Nissan dealer to determine if this applies to your vehicle.

Present this to the dealer/customer services and see if they still deny its existence!

Good luck with your dealer!

I even called Nissan customer service quoting everything on here with recall references and they still denied there was even a recall.

I gave up in the end :angry:

I've seen muuuuuuch worse, see here: http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/73768-553bhp-465-lbft-370z-full-amuse-with-greddy-twin-turbo/page__st__440#entry1164543

• Like 1

Good luck with your dealer!

I even called Nissan customer service quoting everything on here with recall references and they still denied there was even a recall.

I gave up in the end :angry:

I've seen muuuuuuch worse, see here: http://www.350z-uk.c...40#entry1164543

Unbelievable :scare:

sadly ........... very believable

• 2 weeks later...

I've been fitting an oil pressure gauge and needed to access the small fuse box by the accelerator pedal and whilst under the dash I spotted the steering module.

To my horror after reading this thread and checking with Adrian at Torqen it is the old type and has not had the recall

I called in to my local Nissan dealer explaining that a recall has not been carried out to my car expecting a negative result but after taking my registration number they agreed there is a recall to the steering module and is now booked in for the updated part next Monday

Result!! :)

• Like 3

I've been fitting an oil pressure gauge and needed to access the small fuse box by the accelerator pedal and whilst under the dash I spotted the steering module.

To my horror after reading this thread and checking with Adrian at Torqen it is the old type and has not had the recall

I called in to my local Nissan dealer explaining that a recall has not been carried out to my car expecting a negative result but after taking my registration number they agreed there is a recall to the steering module and is now booked in for the updated part next Monday

Awsome need to do this on my new one

• Like 1

Sooner rather than later Nic :wacko:

Yeah it got me on the last car

I'm pulling the fuse tonight

• Like 1

Yeah it got me on the last car

I'm pulling the fuse tonight

Too right Nic, mine is going in on Monday and I've still pulled the fuse :D

Nic, sorry to be off topic but did i miss you getting another 370?

Good call, now all your modding can begin again but this time you will know what you want from the start!

Yeah it all happened a bit fast mate one came up in nice condition with the right miles etc so I thought sod it

• 7 months later...

Alright fellas,

So my car had to be flat bedded off on Tuesday for what sounds like the steering lock issue. It's been with Nissan since and they called this morning saying the diagnostic looks like it will be the steering lock although it hadn't completed at that point. I raised the recall issue at this point and they agreed if this was the issue then it would be fixed for free.

They then called me back a few hours later and said it is coming up that the wires need to be checked and that it will be 3 hours labour...again I asked about the recall and the woman told me that my vehicle isn't listed as covered by the recall. It is a 2010 plate but was made late 2009. Does anyone know if it's worth me calling the HQ as people have mentioned here to see if it should in fact be covered by the recall or am I literally out of options?

I'm fuming to be honest as the fact the guy said on the first call it's showing as a steering lock issue to then be told they need to keep the car over the weekend to "check wires" at a cost of £200 labour has infuriated me.

Any advice guys?

Nightmare..just checked and my manufacture date is September 2010 guess it's going to be a big hole in my pocket just because of the manufacture date

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just pull the fuse and slap a disk lock on :)

Exactly what i have done despite having the steering lock changed under recall !

If it is the steering lock that has failed Diab2005 and your car is in the recall batch then Nissan should foot the bill Suggest you contact Nissan Customer Services direct to verify.

See my post 127 above ;)

I've contacted them..my VIN is after the one stated so I'm a bit wound up by this. I've put a complaint in as if it's a known issue it should be fixed regardless of the manufacture date. Was planning on a gtr purchase next year but might swerve that now if I don't get refunded for this. £1,051 is extortionate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ask for the old lock back.

You will be able to see the part number.

I believe it is the B part number lock that is a problem, which yours probably is even with a later VIN.

Locks after recall were C and D part numbers.

Others feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but this should help you in your challenge with Nissan.

Edited by JurassicZ