2.5k in a year....would you bother with a service?

deank93

Morning,

My car had it's P3 service in March last year, since then it has only done about 2 and a half thousand miles, technically I'm now due a P1 service, according to Nissan it is due for a service every 9k or every 12 months but having covered such a small amount of miles I wondered if I should just leave it....what do you think??

Dean.

Get it done, the oil absorbs water over time hence the 12 month rule. A P1 doesn't break the bank so might as well do it and keep your service history in good order. If your never going to sell the car or don't care about resale value then by all means just get it done before you next take the car for a good drive but personally for the little cost I would just do it and have the peace of mind.

Depends. On a car with full service history and that might be worth a bit more (like a last of line, low mileage HR) then I'd probably just throw £150 at a service and be done with it. On an older DE car then I'd just do an oil change myself, stamp the book myself and make sure I kept the receipts.

I'm in the same boat 12months of ownership and only covered 2.5k miles I had a P1 done last March when I got the car cause the previous owner suggested an oil change so I thought a P1 with a health check should do it. And just a couple I weeks ago I had a P2 just to keep it in tip top condition and the book stamped of course.

That's the thing, it is an HR model and currently it has main dealer service history so when it comes time to move it on it would be helpful from a re-sale point of view to have kept the stamps up in the service book...as much as it pains me I think i'll end up getting the P1 done.

Try not to look at it that way. If it's done 9k or it's been sat for a year, it needs an oil change.

You're far less likely to sell easily when the time comes if a buyer gets wind that you've skipped oil changes/servicing.

My HR is five years old and I've just changed everything, including plugs, because they deteriorate with time as well as mileage. It's done the grand total of 6000 miles.

I wouldn't let a monkey from Nissan anywhere near my car. You don't have to work in a garage to know how to service a car properly. In your own time, with no other agenda than seeing the job done right.

The problem with synthetic oils is that the various ingredients settle out in the sump in a relatively short time. I would recommend that any car that's been standing for as little as 4 months on your drive or in a garage forecourt should have an oil change. Water absorption isn't that a big a deal if the car is just standing, it'll absorb about 10 times as much when you start it up on a cold day.

Pete

if its just p1, buy good filter and oil and keep reciepts attached. i woild rather buy a car with reciepts on a p1 than service at kwik fit... and nissan stamp only means something at bigger services. they hardly use top quality stuff and just charge fortune for a rubber stamp

Really up to yourself, especially with low miles, but definatley change the oil at least. In terms of it being worth it... dunno enough about mechanics. My friend whos a truck mechanic for Scania keeps telling me to leave it and only service a car after big miles. His Celica TSport 2004 is immaculate and he never services it, everythings done himself ...when it needs it...eg...something breaks lol Hes pretty damn good too, but I'd rather have the stamps of somewhere decent (for resale or trade in value) and keep it as good as possible for as long as possible! (as said earlier, mines is indeed a last of the line I think. 58 but 2009 registered?).

Only did 1500miles last year but had a P1 along with the MOT,provided my own oil, fully synthetic MOTUL 8100 eco-energy from Camskill for £32.00 delivered (5L).

Westway Nissan did the rest, MOT, P1, Oil Change all for £146.00 and got 12months pan european roadside recovery and breakdown assistance in with the price. Oil denegrates and absorbs water over time and temp extremes so I reckon it's worth it. :teeth: :teeth: (Although the zed has only done 11000 since new).