new MOT regs as of today

rtbiscuit

There are more checks on the MOT's from today

OK I can understand some but the Catalytic Convertor will catch many out

Nothing to do if the new one still works, just not original spec

New checks

The new rules, which come into force today, include a range of new tests, including a check that the airbag is present and working, and that the speedometer is correct and can be illuminated.

The seats will have to be adjustable, and the rear doors will have to open properly from the outside. The towbar shouldn't be modified - neither should the catalytic convertor if it came with the car.

The new rules regarding catalytic converters applies to all vehicles that were originally fitted with cats at the time of manufacture. I believe the wording is something along the lines "Where required, a missing catalytic converter becomes a reason for rejection." Effectively therefore, the removal of the cat or fitting of a De-Cat system will be cause for failure

and that the speedometer is correct

Hmm, I wonder how they'll do that and at what speed??...radar gun or a roller that can be calibrated for every car and every wheel and tyre size? They used to do a speedo check (they just checked it was working) back in the day before they had rollers, it was part of the road test back then.

Pete

Edited by JetSet

Decats have been compulsary on vehicles made after 1992 and fail MOT testing if they don't have them or they are defective .

As far as I was aware anyway

The old rule didn't require the cats to be present as such, just that the vehicle passed the required emissions test. The new rule would seem to indicate that cats, if originally fitted, are still present. Irrespective of the emmissions result.

There are more checks on the MOT's from today

OK I can understand some but the Catalytic Convertor will catch many out

Nothing to do if the new one still works, just not original spec

New checks

The new rules, which come into force today, include a range of new tests, including a check that the airbag is present and working, and that the speedometer is correct and can be illuminated.

The seats will have to be adjustable, and the rear doors will have to open properly from the outside. The towbar shouldn't be modified - neither should the catalytic convertor if it came with the car.

The new rules regarding catalytic converters applies to all vehicles that were originally fitted with cats at the time of manufacture. I believe the wording is something along the lines "Where required, a missing catalytic converter becomes a reason for rejection." Effectively therefore, the removal of the cat or fitting of a De-Cat system will be cause for failure

Your like the Grim Reaper Richard. naff off. Please:)

:lol:

Decats have been compulsary on vehicles made after 1992 and fail MOT testing if they don't have them or they are defective .

As far as I was aware anyway

The old rule didn't require the cats to be present as such, just that the vehicle passed the required emissions test. The new rule would seem to indicate that cats, if originally fitted, are still present. Irrespective of the emmissions result.

This

if it came with cats from the factory it should still have them in at the mot centre.

where before it had to pass the emissions it could be bypassed by sticking the meter in another car nearby, now there is a visual inspection.

How do they do the Zed? I thought I read on here it can't go on rollers due to the LSD? (also while im at it is it true the Z has an actual carbon fibre bit in it..the driveshaft..or something..did I just read that somwhere wrong? lol)

Hmm, I wonder how they'll do that and at what speed??...radar gun or a roller that can be calibrated for every car and every wheel and tyre size? They used to do a speedo check (they just checked it was working) back in the day before they had rollers, it was part of the road test back then.

Pete

They could use a gps or sat nav Pete, or something more official.

How do they do the Zed? I thought I read on here it can't go on rollers due to the LSD? (also while im at it is it true the Z has an actual carbon fibre bit in it..the driveshaft..or something..did I just read that somwhere wrong? lol)

Should be O.K on a roller as both wheels will be spinning at the same speed.

Pete

Pete

They could use a gps or sat nav Pete, or something more official.

Yes, never thought of that :blush: .

Pete