So went to check the oil and .... help

deankenny

I stand corrected, sorry. It would appear the longer you leave it the better.

I check mine after its been sat all day in the work car park, as my drive is on a slope.

The only way I have found to get a true reading is to do this first thing in the morning or after car has been stood and is cold.

You get two goes at getting a true reading then the dipstick gets contaminated and as you say oil is half way up the dipstick

Trying to do it hot or after ten mins doesn't give you the most accurate of readings

I think this happens because when you pull the dipstick out, it smears oil all the way up the tube, you clean the dipstick, then stick it straight back down into the smeared tube, getting oil on the full length of the stick.

Solution:

Pull the dipstick, clean it, then wait a few mins to let any smeared oil make its way back to the sump, before checking the level.

• Like 2

Some time back someone posted about smearing the end of the dipstick with something that allows the oil level to show more clearly. I'll have a dig around the archives.

But as being said above, it does need to be done with the engine cold and on level ground.

And yes, as its been said many times before, the DE engine dipstick was designed by one.

At least they sacked that dipstick before the HR engine was commissioned. :lol:

Stupid dipstick.....

It is indeed. Does anyone know where I can get a longer one, as the one I've got doesn't even reach my oil? Would ZMANALEX have one? :shrug:

:scare: Are you saying it has been shortened and does not have the low and high markings on it??

Stupid dipstick.....

It is indeed. Does anyone know where I can get a longer one, as the one I've got doesn't even reach my oil? Would ZMANALEX have one? :shrug:

:scare: Are you saying it has been shortened and does not have the low and high markings on it??

How on earth do you take an oil reading then!!??? You really need to find out what is going on there :scare: :scare: