Put a deposit on a car today! But it's not what you think!

stuarty

Long story short, lol.

I traded my zed for a new BMW saloon in Jan 2011. I didnt like the saloon so in october i bought a 320i sport plus edition coupe ( top of the range).

I missed the power of the zed but love the way my Beemer looks and drives great.

The list price for my car was around £32k, but i bought it brand new with a bmw discount of over £8k.

My car is only 5 months old and has 1100 miles on it.

I tried trading it in for another zed but i was offered anywhere between £18k and £21k. The higher amount was from nissan against a very, very over priced Zed!

I also enquired about a z4 sdrive and was offered £21k as a trade in.

Please bear with me, lol.

I found this car today and its really, really nice.

http://www.harryfairbairnirvinebmw.co.uk/approved-used-bmw/

Ive been offered £22500 trade in for my car against it and it comes with the following.

1 years full BMW warranty and roadside assistance and 1 years mot and tax.

The car has got 17 inch wheels in the picture but they are the winter wheels. The owner also supplied a set of 19 inch bmw wheels with it!!!!

The car is priced well i think but i'm getting a great trade in price and ive only lost between £800 and £1000 on my new bmw!!!!

This also means i will be able to use this car everyday and buy a really nice zed privately.

What everyone think??

I think you need to find a car you really like :lol: ;):stir:

I know! Problem is i have so much money tied up in this new BMW.

But i'm getting nearly all my money back as a trade in if i buy the used one above. I would then buy a zed and if i wanted to sell the beemer it would be easier to shift than a new one.

But i like the thought of having an everyday car ( beemer) and a really nice zed just for special occassions. I could buy this beemer and a mint 313 and have change for what my current car cost. I know it sounds bizzare but i think i would also have more assets this way!

Were just glad the saga is over mate! :lol:

Nah seriously if you can now have a zed for weekends, decent looking luxury coupe with some poke in the beamer and be financially better off I think it's a good choice

Clicked the first link and saw the butt ugly 1 series I was like nooooooooo :scare:

:lol:

• Like 1

I think you should stop fannying about and just get another Zed

You have had a couple if Bimmers and dont like them, and judging by that link your going to get another one :shrug:

If i could buy another zed without getting ass raped with my trade in price i would, trust me. The best i could get was around 18k against a well priced 313 hr.

As i'm getting 22.5k trade in against this bmw, i technically getting it for £6500 not £10500.

I know its a long way round but i will probably need an everyday car anyway.

I think you should stop fannying about and just get another Zed

You have had a couple if Bimmers and dont like them, and judging by that link your going to get another one :shrug:

If i could buy another zed without getting ass raped with my trade in price i would, trust me. The best i could get was around 18k against a well priced 313 hr.

As i'm getting 22.5k trade in against this bmw, i technically getting it for £6500 not £10500.

I know its a long way round but i will probably need an everyday car anyway.

Sorry I did not see your second post :blush:

Makes sense what you are doing then :thumbs: But if it were me I would be looking for a 370 :stir:

I think you need to find a car you really like :lol:;):stir:

I know! Problem is i have so much money tied up in this new BMW.

But i'm getting nearly all my money back as a trade in if i buy the used one above. I would then buy a zed and if i wanted to sell the beemer it would be easier to shift than a new one.

But i like the thought of having an everyday car ( beemer) and a really nice zed just for special occassions. I could buy this beemer and a mint 313 and have change for what my current car cost. I know it sounds bizzare but i think i would also have more assets this way!

As long as you are happy, that's the main thing :)

Honestly guys, if anyone can think of a reason for not approaching things from this angle, please tell me. I'll list my reasons and see what you think!

1)I like my Beemer but its a lot of cash sitting in my garage not getting used, dropping by around £300 per month.

2) this used Beemer has a bit of poke and someone else has paid for most of the depreciation.

3) i would like a nice everyday car and not a shed.

4) i want a 313HR to keep for ever and only use now and again

5) if i got a nice 313 for 10k, i would have 2 cars valued around £20k that shouldn't depreciate much in next few year, unlike my current car which would lose around £10k

6) i would have around £3k back in the bank.

7) i hate the number 6, so i made this lucky 7, lol.

Love your car purchase logic :teeth: and if you happy with it go for it

looking forward to the next instalment in 3 months tine :stir:

The purchase logic is good, not sure about the devaluation logic though :shrug:

Yeah, i'm probably being a bit optimistic, lol. But i'll lose £10k easily in the next 4 years on my current car, especially with the new 4 series out later this year.

I'd expect to lose about £3k on the used one.

Having the used beemer and a pocket full of cash will put me in a really good position when buying a 313 as i'll be a cash buyer in absolutely no rush.

If i dont find what i'm looking for i could always keep saving and buy a 370z in a few years.

IMO your still doing it well wrong.

1. I personally think your not factoring in enough deprecation of the car.

2. The 350z isn't really a weekend car its not bad on fuel.

3. Buy a 350z with 10k to spend on fuel

4. If getting a weekend only car your in the same boat of it sitting there losing money

5. Get a special car for the weekend like a supercharged Z, evo, lotus or TVR etc IMO.

But its your money and whatever makes you happy :-)

Edited by Dblock

Seems logical.

May I ask a question though. Knowing what you know now, would you buy this next BMW if you didn't have one to trade in?

No i wouldnt buy another one TBH, but the car is reasonable priced and i'm getting an extra £3500 trade in going back to bmw. Apposed to trading in my bmw to a used car dealer or a nissan dealer fr a zed. Therefore i reckon i'm really getting the used beemer for £7500 because the trade in is so good.

If i decide to sell the beemer privately before buying another zed i could sell it for as little as £8500 and still be better off trading my new car into somewhere, plus i would pay over the top for the zed from a garage. This way i could be a cash buyer buyin private.

Here's 2 examples of what ive been offered

1) buy a zed from a garage for £11000 and get trade in price of £19000 for my beemer = a zed and £8000 in bank.

2) buy this beemer from bmw for £10500 and get £22500 trade in for my new beemer = a beemer and £12000 in bank.

Then if i want sell the beemer for £8500 and buy the same zed privately for £8000 = a zed and £12500 in bank! Simples!!!

£4000-£4500 better off.

Seems logical.

May I ask a question though. Knowing what you know now, would you buy this next BMW if you didn't have one to trade in?

No i wouldnt buy another one TBH, but the car is reasonable priced and i'm getting an extra £3500 trade in going back to bmw. Apposed to trading in my bmw to a used car dealer or a nissan dealer fr a zed. Therefore i reckon i'm really getting the used beemer for £7500 because the trade in is so good.

If i decide to sell the beemer privately before buying another zed i could sell it for as little as £7500 and still be better off trading my new car into somewhere, plus i would pay over the top for the zed from a garage. This way i could be a cash buyer buyin private.

Here's 2 examples of what ive been offered

1) buy a zed from a garage for £11000 and get trade in price of £19000 for my beemer = a zed and £8000 in bank.

2) buy this beemer from bmw for £10500 and get £22500 trade in for my new beemer = a beemer and £12000 in bank.

Then if i want sell the beemer for £8500 and buy the same zed privately for £8000 = a zed and £12500 in bank! Simples!!!

£4000-£4500 better off.

Edited by stuarty