Losing my rag - corroding wheels

H5

OK, so I'm pretty close the end of my tether with this.

Last year (bout 6 months ago) while still in 'primary' warranty, I asked Nissan Slough to look at my corroding wheels. They looked, said they thought it was wear and tear. I argued. Got to the point they put a 'claim' in but also let slip they also said it shouldn't go through. So they kinda scuppered that one. After a stand up argument in the dealer with the 'Service Manager' on the day before my warranty expired he finally managed to accept he should put it down a goodwill route as 'he was sorry I wasn't happy'.

As it transpired, the lying gentleman he is had done very little and I had a few blank conversations with Nissan GB about the claim. It came to a head last month when I insisted on the reference number, name and telephone number of the person he had spoken to. All I got was the 0845 or whatever number and a number. Never had spoken to anyone. So, doing well not to knock him off his feet, I left the premises.

At Reading, the first thing the guy said there was, you should get those done. Now on to the ineptitude of Nissan GB......

Outside 'primary' warranty, so no luck. I asked if extended would be interested, but no. So goodwill, and because the previous owner had missed it's first P2 by 4k they bounced it! Have just been on the phone for 40 mins trying to understand 3 things:

1) What would they have done had the service occurred that bit earlier anyway?

2) Why should I be suffering for lying, useless dealers that don't submit customer requests?

3) Are they saying my extended warranty (that they happily took £900 for) is useless and if so why didn't they say at the time?

Answers:

1) No comment. (!!!)

2) We don't get involved in that (WTF is customer service for then!?)

3) You'd better check. (!!!!!!)

I've almost lost the will with them. Anyone got any names, details or anything that can help?? :bang::help::angry::surrender:

I had lots and lots of trouble with my lying and useless main dealer and the totally incompetent customer services over a period of a year.

I finally wrote to the managing director Mr Gary Frigo at Nissan Motors GB Ltd, The Rivers Office Park Denham Way, Maple Cross, Rickmansworth, Hertfordshire WD3 2WD. He offered me a free P2 service for my troubles but it was the lucky happening of ringing customer services yet again and talking to the only employee there who possess a brain. His name is Luke Seisay and he’s a go getter. From taking my call to resolution of the problem took him a couple of weeks.

Best of luck :thumbs:

I had lots and lots of trouble with my lying and useless main dealer and the totally incompetent customer services over a period of a year.

I finally wrote to the managing director Mr Gary Frigo at Nissan Motors GB Ltd, The Rivers Office Park Denham Way, Maple Cross, Rickmansworth, Hertfordshire WD3 2WD. He offered me a free P2 service for my troubles but it was the lucky happening of ringing customer services yet again and talking to the only employee there who possess a brain. His name is Luke Seisay and he’s a go getter. From taking my call to resolution of the problem took him a couple of weeks.

Best of luck :thumbs:

Cheers Dicky, I'm not far from the head office so am contemplating a drive out up there soon. Anybody want to join me and we can form a peaceful protest!!!

Will write too. ;)

The service manager at Slough 8 months ago (dont know if same person, I think it was Steve or sumit) refused to adjust the clutch pedal though it was written down to be included in price of my service. He agreed that it was written down, but said it was not possible to adjust. I then produced printed out pictures from a post with step by step guide & he still argued this was not done by Nissan!!!! :scare:

Nedless to say I wil not be using Nissan Slough again & will very carefully choose where to have my next serive done with.

I would continue arguing over this as it should be covered by your warranty. Write a few letters to Nissan GB & threaten to write to your local newspapers/ & motoring publications etc. If still no joy I would send a letter by registered delivery saying they have 30 days to agree or else you will go to small claims court. This may have the desired affect without actually going through with it.

Goodluck

Good job I never followed up my test drive at Slough then isnt it! Would have hated to have bought a Zed from them to find out that if I tried to make a claim against anything that it would likely not be looked at!

Sorry to hear about your trouble, hope it gets sorted soon.

A threat of small claims court will usually get things moving from what I hear...

Also, the fact that you are a member of an owners forum where we have over 1600 users may well help.

Lets face it, what you say here can affect the use of dealers, and ultimately stop people buying a 350z or another one etc.....

Its worthwhile noting that in a letter as well....... not blowing our trumpet etc, but the masses can speak and t'internet's a wonderful tool for passing on poor service information! :thumbs:

Good points guys, thanks for your input. I'll start drafting a letter when I've finished watching England 'play' South Africa. Need to calm down first.

You're right, it is Steve, may as well name him. The guy who actually does the work at Slough is a nice guy, been out with him in the car and he's genuinely interested. Steve on the other hand, couldn't be less helpful if he tried. Will write to the dealer principle of Dan Perkins and also to MD at GB. Anyone got any product manager names or warranty manager names / numbers?

And Mike, I will be referring to here if that's not causing any undue problems?

And Mike, I will be referring to here if that's not causing any undue problems?

I guess you mean me, Mark :)

But I can't see it being an issue if you state that you're a member of owners forum and if you continue to be not satisfied with the response and services that you are getting then you will be making it known to other members......

Obviously we have no direct power to help, but bad press to 1600+ and growing isn't a good business case :blush:

Worth mentioning. I e-mailed the head office of the chain of dealers I use to complain about the service I received. Within a few hours the message had been passed onto the manager of the particular dealer that had caused me to write. As a manger and salesman he understood perfectly how important it is to keep the customer happy especially when talking about a car like the Z. He said he was going to investigate and would get back to me with the out come. Told him there was no need to contact me as the damage was done and I wouldn't be returning.

The point I made specifically in my message which he also made to me without my prompting was that they had lost all future servicing of my vehicle, future sales to myself, family, friends and any recommendation I might of made to others. If you do the rough math in your head the amount of earnings they have now lost from me is massive. Also bear in mind Nissan don’t sell that many €60k cars in Ireland.

(Also sent same message to Nissan Ireland :teeth:)

Guy

• 4 weeks later...

Well my letter seems to have had an effect!! :yahoo:

Spoke to a very helpful lady today by the name of Mary who had been asked by Gary Figaro to investigate the case. She apologised for the way I had had some of my questions answered over the phone and has asked for some pictures of the current state of the wheels. It seems they never received any...... :dry:

Letter wording below -

Dear Mr Figaro,

I am currently the owner of a Nissan 350Z, registered on February 19th 2004 as XXXX XXX. Your records show a change of plate to H5 XXX. This was purchased from the Dan Perkins Slough dealership as a UK GT specification car from new.

You’ll be pleased to know the product is generally good to own when it is not touching the dealer network, or more specifically Dan Perkins Slough.

Last year, when the car was being serviced at Dan Perkins Slough, I reported the optional Rays alloy wheels were corroding and I wanted them looked at. These were checked and Mark Burton, Service Manager, agreed there was corrosion but claimed it was not a fault. I disputed this and asked a claim to be put in on the warranty that exists on the car. After much chasing to understand how the claim was progressing, it became apparent no claim had ever been submitted. Finally, one was put in.

I then received a letter from yourselves dated 12th January 2007, stating that the dealer had submitted the claim, but also said that the dealer had included the comment that they didn’t feel it was a ‘manufacturing defect’. I am unsure whom at Dan Perkins Slough is qualified to make such a decision, but it clearly shows no intent of sorting the issue out.

At this point, I was getting close to the initial warranty period ending and passed photos of the corrosion to Mark to submit for the claim. Apparently this went in under reference number XXXXX, but I have had no response from anybody. As you would expect, I would appreciate an update on the progress of this claim immediately.

Needless to say, I am no longer having my car serviced at Dan Perkins Slough, and have moved to Rowstock Reading, where I was surprised to hear their Service Manager ask me why my wheels hadn’t been replaced. Sound inconsistent? He explained it was a known problem and that it should have been resolved with no issue.

At this point it is worth mentioning that I have purchased an extended Nissan warranty that I handed over approx. £900 for, to extend the cover by two years.

I have subsequently been told that the initial claim under the original warranty was rejected as ‘it had expired’ (no thanks to Dan Perkins for the delay in raising the claim in the first place), so Rowstock Reading attempted a claim under the extended warranty, but again to no avail. Finally, a claim as “goodwillâ€

• 4 weeks later...

So today I got the phone call confirming 100% compensation for replacing the wheels! :yahoo:

Unfortunately this means I can't have the bright silver bit done at the same time, but will have to get wheels through NMGB's approved refurb plan - at least that's what I've been told. Much thanks to Mary at NMGB who seems to have some common sense. Just need to get to the dealer to arrange it now...... :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...

I've just come back from the dealer after seeing them regarding corrosion on my Rays too.

My 350 is on an 06 plate and is a couple of weeks over 1 year old.

I have corrosion showing of 3 spokes on one rear, 2 spokes of other rear and 1 spoke of one front.

I've been told the wheels are covered under a 5 year warranty?

Anyway, my dealer has taken photos to provide to Nissan for the warranty claim. They have told me that ALL wheels will be sent away to be refurbished.

I will keep you posted as to what happens.

One thing if for sure though, its not very good. Just a year old and only 5 and a bit k on the clock.

Anyone got pictures of what this corroision looks like?

Ive noticed recently that my GT4 wheels are going discoloured in certain areas (a browny rust like colour), which I cant clean off. Is this the same thing?

In my case, the corrosion is showing as a collection of bubbles under the paint & laquer finish. There is no colour change since it is under the finish and not yet broken through, much like when you have rust on a body panel from the inside.

I will post a photo as soon as I can.

Mine to have corrosive 'bubbles' on the inner rim but I've had mine repainted already - before I knew about warranty issues that I have read on this (interesting) forum.

TBH, my local dealer is shocking and I wouldn't hold any hope for any warranty work being done by these clowns. :thumbdown:

I've been told the wheels are covered under a 5 year warranty?

Is this true? My Rays are bubbling on all 4

Thats what my dealer indicated, but I would check before kicking up.

I suggest a phone call to a Nissan dealer or email their customer services from their website.