Holiday recommendation

Harryjax

I'm looking for a holiday destination within a 6 hour flight time. Somewhere warm and not over run with bars and club or shops selling tat.

I'm looking for a bit of luxury something with wow factor, that makes you feel special.

I'm looking for this special place to take my wife who has been ill, but is now on the mend.

"Thank God".

Please only suggest destinations that you have been to and would concider it the best holiday you have ever ever had.

Forgot to mention Sea Cruises are a no go.

Edited by Harryjax

I went to Dubai for my honeymoon and loved it. We were talking today about how good it was. Think it's 7-8 hours flight though?

A lot of people say there's no history or culture to it cos it's such a new city. But for somewhere to chill out with great weather, great food and great service in every shop/restaurant you go to it's fantastic

I went to Dubai for my honeymoon and loved it. We were talking today about how good it was. Think it's 7-8 hours flight though?

A lot of people say there's no history or culture to it cos it's such a new city. But for somewhere to chill out with great weather, great food and great service in every shop/restaurant you go to it's fantastic

6 hour flight would be pushing it at the moment.

And I would love to go to Dubai it looks spectacular.

Without breaking the 6 hour flight rule, it's tough. Mexico or the Maldives would be amazing, but well over the limit.

I'd suggest looking at the Canary Islands. You get the guaranteed weather, and it's easy to avoid the touristy areas by picking one of the plentiful 5-star hotels around that tend to have massive resorts so you'd never need to leave. You can be pampered in luxury, eat the best grub or sunbathe to your heart's content, all without leaving the hotel.

Have a look on the usual travel sites (Expedia, Trip Advisor etc) and see if any of them take your fancy. Some of them look stunning, if you're prepared to give them a chance.

I've not been myself but I've heard a lot of good things about the Cape Verde Islands and it sounds like it will fit the bill for you. Flight times under 6 hours and very un-commercial although the main tour operators are offering packages there (Thomson etc) so it's not too expensive. It's off the coast of Africa but has a big Portuguese influence and has a 'Brazilian' feel to it apparently.

As mentioned I've not been myself but I certainly intend to in the next couple of years.

S.

• Like 1

Harry, this is a tricky one, without really knowing what you and your better half like. Safely within your time restriction we've been to Florence & Sienna which were both stunning, especially Sienna which is a beautiful very old fashioned city. Around it are great places like Monteriggioni and San Gimignano, which are again old towns. Lots of opportunity to relax, meander, soak in the culture, good food, wine fairly chilled out but lot of stuff to see and do.

Also there's Carcassonne and Avignon in the south of France. Carcassonne again is a beautiful medieval walled city, much like Avignon, with lots of history, great food etc. Without knowing what you guys really like its difficult to suggest. I'm making a huge assumption that you probably want somewhere chilled, relaxing but also where you can go enjoy some food, culture, style etc when you feel like it.

I went to Positano last year on the Amalfi coast.

Stunning location and very exclusive... they call it the Hollywood of Europe as thats where A-listers go for the summer. My sister went there on her honeymoon years ago, and Harrison Ford and Naomi Campbell were there at the same time. When we went last year, Simon Cowell was there :lol:

Its not the easiest place to get to... from Naples it's either a 2 boat rides to get there taking 90 mins, or a train to sorrento (the circumversuiviana - passing the base of Mt Versuvius) and then a coach ride over the mountains.

The boat ride is far more appealing - we did both.

One more thing... there are a lot of steps/hills, so if your wife's not got much energy, it might not be an option. We're not the healthiest couple so it was a bit much for us :lol:

A few pics

DSCF0394_zps63ae18d4.jpg

DSCF0407_zps2a5a9aac.jpg

DSCF0493_zpse46af065.jpg

DSCF0427_zps1f62c703.jpg

Not convinced I'd want to go anywhere in North Africa at the moment.

Rubbish. Most of the trouble isnt as bad as what its reported to be and touristy areas are very very well protected. Tourism is a massive business for them and they will protect it.

I said I wouldn't want to go. You're quite free to go there if you please.

Blimey, people seem to be a bit touchy on here tonight.

Takin to me! square go! :lol: who is touchy.

Yes but you posted it in a forum where someone is asking to go on holiday. If it was an opinion you didnt want anyone to take notice of why post it?

On that note. Egypt ( I haven't been) is great so says my brother. He loves it and has been twice. He says its super safe, warm and people are friendly.

Edited by Dblock

I was in Maraketch over Christmas and it was great no issues at all.

Not a relaxing holiday though if your out there with the locals using public transport Etc.

More of an experience.

Not as bad as rural india but more full on than native Turkey