Gravel or sand

spursmaddave

A friend is trying to perauade me to put sand instead of gravel in my aquarium has anybody got any experience of the pros and cons of each...

Dont tell me your not a member of an aquarium forum? :surrender::lol:

There is a big wide world out there Dave ;)

• Like 1

I've recently changed to sand a month or so ago and re aquascaped the whole tank. I think it looks much nice but cleaning can take a little practice. It's cheaper too. Lots of people use Argos playsand it's only a couple of quid a bag compared to silica.

I'm glad I made the change. Going to change my second tank to sand soon as well ;-)

Sand for marines gravel for tropical. Bacteria in the gravel helps keep the water clear of poo by breaking it down.

Bacteria don't do so well in salt water.

+1 in marine you have live sand full of things like snails and worms that break up the crap and acts as part of your filter but if in tropical the nitrates would build up as sand not being shifted

I've recently changed to sand a month or so ago and re aquascaped the whole tank. I think it looks much nice but cleaning can take a little practice. It's cheaper too. Lots of people use Argos playsand it's only a couple of quid a bag compared to silica.

I'm glad I made the change. Going to change my second tank to sand soon as well ;-)

This is what I was planning, sand is actually easier to clean apparently because the crap sits on thd top of it instead of going inbetween the gravel, the biggest drawback from what I can make out is that it is harder to keep live plants....

It's just getting it so you don't syphon a load of sand up. Also the sand should be stirred up every so often as gasses can build up.

Also because of the gravel containing plenty of bacteria it's a good idea to check levels after the change. I kept a load if gravel in a pair of tights to help with the bio load. Also run an extra filter for a while before the change too so extra filter media for bacteria to populate.

What fish do you keep Dave? Mine are new world cichlids, clever little buggers too.

I need to stop going to kaizers! My bank balance doesn't like it. Mind you it's not his rates it's the things I buy for him to fit!

I need to get along to a meet too.

It's F-ing stressful changing it all! Catching fairly large quick fish is a nightmare. If you want any advice or even a hand give me a shout buddy.

I use sand in my tropical aquarium, i think it's called Silver sand. It's easy to clean, though it's not as fine as say sandy beach sand. It does have some grit in it but looks so much better and easier to fit ornaments in and hold plants as it's got some weight in mass. It's just the front where the bed meets the glass sometimes over time it builds up algae but a quick shift and it's clean again.