"Fix A Flat"

FUG

Does anyone roll around with simply a can of fix a flat or similar product in the car as opposed to spare wheel, jack etc?

I know a few people remove the spare and associated tools from the boot as a weight saving excercise. Just wondering how practical (or impractical) this is?!

I think i would rather save the weight (and thus fuel economy) and utilise the can then change the wheel once home to ensure lit conditions, flat surface, safe away from potential busy roads etc etc or get her to the garage without flaffing around too much myself!

Haha same here, made two call outs in the past neither tyre/wheel related however I would assume they would try put the spare on for you and flaff around for some time locating the locking wheel tool, mounting points etc not to mention the time they take in reaching you (both times I called out was in winter freezing my bollocks off waiting!)

Im liking the idea of simply pumping and going as an interim remedy ??

I have to, as the 911 has no spare. I will never, ever use it though: If I get a puncture, I'm calling the brakedown people.

Removing the weight from the boot of the Zed isn't a good idea unless you're absolutely sure about what you're doing, as you'll end up with a car far more prone to oversteer. I always left mine in.

Yeah I'm aware they never seem to put spares on new cars these days. Cost saving measure plus a large percentage of drivers don't know how to change a wheel I assume

With regards to the zed becoming more tail happy is this really noticeable then? There must be a fair weight under that boot lining.

The biggest issue is that all the weight there is very low down, which is ideal for handling purposes so when you remove it the rear comes up, reducing grip. Add in that removing rearward weight any way will push the weight balance forward... You can get round it, and an experienced competent drive would use the less weight to their advantage, but for the road I'd much rather have a spare in to get me home if I need to.

If you use the canned stuff does it not make it impossible for any punctures to be repaired? That would put me right off....

The latex sealant can be cleaned and rinsed out prior to any permanent repair apparently