30 members have voted

1. 1. To buy, or not to buy?

• You've wanted it for years, do it
    • You've waited this long, wait until cash flow improves
    • Don't be daft

Love the Epiphone

I've got the blue one of that Dave. Looks like dis

_c444626_image_0.jpg

Are they as heavy as a Gibson LP Custom ?

Believe it or not my dad actually owned a 1956(?) les paul goldtop custom and swapped it for a Gibson SG as he said it nearly broke his neck it was that heavy.........last time we checked the goldtop would have been worth about 30k! Fail.

I don't think it would be as heavy as an original as that was the major complaint so they've prob lightened up the epi's. still a heavy bugger though

+1

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to gig with a '74 20th anniversary LP custom gold top back in the 90's that i was lent. It was ****in heavy! But it did sound a lot better than my MIK squire Tele I had at the time.

Edited by Sam Mcgoo

That blue LP is stunning!

Right, bit more info. I've spoken to someone else who is selling the guitar I want, albeit not in the right colour, and am going to inspect it on Thursday evening. That'll give me a chance to get a feel for the guitar and see if I like it, and then I can decide one way or another on the other one. If the one I go and see is good enough then I may be tempted to get that instead, even if the colour isn't what I really want.

Which I know is stupid, but the colour will match the rest of my collection so I'd actually be better off! :lol:

Go for it. I did exactly the same the other year. Id wanted a Zakk Wylde Epiphone for as long as I could remember. Then after years of watching & waiting on ebay, one came up for a good price and after having a few drinks I stuck a bid in and won it. I hadnt even tried one out!

Anyway, it turned up and it was awesome. It played so much better than my other guitars. Even my mate who is seriously into his guitars loved it. To make things even better, a few weeks later I managed to get Zakk Wylde to actually sign it for me. :thumbs:

It really motivated me to start playing more.

EDIT: In all fairness though, it wasnt really an impulse buy as id been thinking of buying it for ages. What was an impulse buy however was back in 2002 I think, walking into Hein Gerrike to buy a £4 oil filter for my R1 and walking out with £1200 of titanium Akraprovic race exhaust system and a few other bits. :(

Edited by rabbitstew

Get it bought. The UK will eventually default on all its borrowing and we'll all have diddly squat money anyway as the government will own it all. Might as well have something nice to look at when we're all having beans on toast for tea :lol:

One of mine

IMG_0363.jpg

This guitar was given to me by Mark James after he had closed down the Maverick guitar company, so it has a bit of provenance ... his techs made it play beautifully, much much better than my Jackson Dinky ... I love a bit of bartering for work done and he was a really interesting guy to talk to

Step 1 get 0% credit card

Step 2 transfer money to current account

Step 3 buy guitar! Boom!

Step 4 sell of your old sh1t and cut down on spending to fund repayments over 1 yr

Step 5 enjoy the flurk out of your new purchase.

I only need to drop it on a card because I can't do it this month, all things being equal it'll be paid by next month so no interest to pay either :)

I think I'm going to sell my other guitars to fund it though. I know I said I wouldn't, but it makes good sense. Plus it's a lot less hassle to justify to Jo! :lol: I jest, she's cool with it and does understand, bless her. I suspect shoes and handbags are on the horizon though...!

I only need to drop it on a card because I can't do it this month, all things being equal it'll be paid by next month so no interest to pay either :)

I think I'm going to sell my other guitars to fund it though. I know I said I wouldn't, but it makes good sense. Plus it's a lot less hassle to justify to Jo! :lol: I jest, she's cool with it and does understand, bless her. I suspect shoes and handbags are on the horizon though...!

No shocker there then :lol:

Well, this is a bit of a new development, first handbags, now shoes.................... :teeth: :wink:

I am back! :D

I have seen the guitar, and it is lovely. I was too shy to actually play anything on it as per bloody usual, but then for me it's more about what it is than how it plays. Trouble is, I now have a new issue.

Do I buy this, the guitar I've wanted for 20 years, or do I spunk a little bit more and get something that may possibly be actually better. It's only another couple of hundred quid, and to be fair is probably worth it, but it's not quite what I've wanted for years. It is awesome though, and would arguably be the smarter purchase. FFS I only have like an hour to decide before the auction closes! :lol:

Basically, do I buy the guitar that my hero designed and may or may not be a bit of a stick-a-badge-on-it-and-it'll-sell, or do I buy the one he actually uses? Would you buy the Kirk Hammet ESP, or the ESP that Kirk Hammet actually uses?