Dan's Euro Jaunt - Day 11 p10 DONE!

Ekona

I needed something to help me sleep, and it worked a treat! :lol: Missed the whole of the second half, although 'missed' is a relative term by all accounts...

Day 2

It's not even 5am, and I'm up and getting ready. My crossing is at 6:50 assuming no delays, and that 35 mins in the tunnel should give me plenty of time to set the GoPro up for action. Weather looks shite, but I have Snoop Dogg's back catalogue to keep me occupied on the long trip down to Pau. :)

Oh man, what a day!

No wifi here sadly so I can't upload my video diaries, but suffice to say I've had better days. Heavy rain almost all the way down, which limits your speed obviously so that didn't help. Stupid c*nting satnavs taking me through the centre of frickin' Paris, delaying me by a good 90 mins, then putting me through the centre of Toulouse as well...! Not impressed. Hotel check in was closed, but Jo rang then and they left the key out for me so at least I have a bed tonight.

No restaurant here, but I found the Golden Arches so all is good and my belly is full :teeth: Hit Calais at 8am, got to hotel at 8:30pm and the only time I stopped was for the single fuel stop. Yup, that's 12.5 hours of solid driving.

I'm fooked. I'll sleep well tonight, then attack the fun roads in the morning! :D

Always check your satnav route before heading off, I've learnt that the hard way too :doh:

Still the only way is up matey, sure it will be better tomorrow.

Agreed I recently jumped in a hire car in Germany , punched in my brothers address and set off... Ended up taking me through the centre of Hamburg at rush hour which wasn't fun as that was the first time I'd driven a left hooker manual. My brother thought it hilarious. You would need eyes in the back of your head in a right hand drive

Anyway, I'm following this with interest as it sounds a superb trip and a little different from the norm.

I like to jump in the car on a whim and go for a drive, this sounds the ultimate...... Apart from the months of planning :lol:

Day 3

I thought yesterday was crap. How wrong I was.

Woke up, still raining, grab some breakfast and head out. Today should have seen me crossing the Pyrenees into Spain, however someone had other ideas for me. Now, can anyone tell me what happens when it's raining, and you go up a mountain, and the temperature drops to sub zero?

Any one?

Yes, it snows. Of course it f*cking does, and why I couldn't figure that out for myself I've no idea. If it wasn't for some very kind French man who spoke perfect English and happened to be stopped in his own car at the very point of no return, I'd have likely got myself stuck in the 5 inches of snow that had settled right at the very peak. I was literally 95% of the way across the mountain when I had to turn back, 2 hours wasted.

I thought that was the end of the bad luck. It wasn't.

My route took me on a detour to Andorra, seeing as how it was so close to my hotel (30 mins) and I'd never been there. Well, now I've been there twice, and I can safely say it's a f*cking sh*thole. Drove all the way through, stunning sunshine on the Spanish side to snow again on the French side, went through the toll tunnel and started working my way down the mountain to discover the other toll tunnel was shut, and the only route round was back over the mountain in more snow. Sod that. So I turned around, and wasted another 1.5 hours travelling back through sh*tty Andorra to finally get to my hotel. Which is far too posh and doesn't have anything palatable on the menu. Arse. :(

On the upside, I spent a good 6 hours at least on some of the best mountain roads I've ever driven in my life, in glorious sunshine. I can't wait until you guys see the videos, these roads were incredible and there were loads of them! :D

Somewhere without any snow I hope! :lol: Should be down the coast past Barcelona, but at this stage anything could happen!

Got a couple of vids from yesterday ready to go up in a min, I'll hopefully get the others from today up tonight too. :)

Loving the updates and vids Dan. Remember some of the unplanned bits are all part of the adventure and where you stumble across amazing surprises. Having driven in rush hour Paris I can sympathise however with your comments. Keep calm and carry on. :thumbs: