handling in the wet

pdg32

Dan's Helpful Tip Of The Day:

Just don't drive like a knob in the wet in any vehicle, and you'll be fine. Cars are not inherently dangerous and, contrary to popular belief, will not try to kill you if you dare touch the throttle when cornering.

Guess my S14 was possessed :'(

I had a Soarer Twinturbo that had no traction control...now it must of been related to your s14 cause that thing was the devil! Shakin that ass whenever it felt like it!

Dan's Helpful Tip Of The Day:

Just don't drive like a knob in the wet in any vehicle, and you'll be fine. Cars are not inherently dangerous and, contrary to popular belief, will not try to kill you if you dare touch the throttle when cornering.

You have never been in a e30 325i sport or an amg.

Haha My friend let me try his e46 M3, with the M button pressed and even with traction control on it squirmed off the slipway onto motorway!Love the sound of them, the metallic noise coming through the exhaust is music to my ears! :teeth: Im startin to think how the hell to American muscle cars deal with cornering in the rain?!

When I was a youth, we went karting most weekends and got friendly with the marshals after a while. Usually when it rained on the outdoor track they closed it down, but as they knew we weren't bellends they'd let us go out. They were only little twin engine beasts but in Scottish rain, with slick, cold tyres, I learned for the first time that the wet makes a big difference! Had twice as much fun at half the speed. It was quite a good lesson as my driving instructor at 17 never really talked about it in all the hours of learning.

The wet still cares me though, not cos of the Zed or it's tyres, but because I see so many people not make a single allowance in their driving style, whether it's bone dry A road or standing water on the motorway with 50 foot visibility!

• Like 1

i just want to chime in here!, i want to state i wasnt even remotely driving fast in the wet with one instance that the s14 took me for a spin was a small roundabout inbetween redditch and evesham, small roundabout entered casually exited sideways guess it was the off center camber of the small roundabout!,

but i want to add the zed feels good in the wet, its got Michelin sports on all 4 corners i guess there mpss? and again it rained heavey driving her home when i picked her up and was amazed at how well i could still feel the road,

also want to add i been reading Ekona's threads about tyres good read buddy!

Rob

Edited by Sempiternal

Having driven a 700hp one and a couple of 500hp ones in the wet and living to tell the tale, maybe it was ;):D

Read this thread and frankly theres a lot of crap on here - through drifting, tracking and having many jap cars over the years I like to think Ive had more experience than most and the advice you keep hearing is right - the car wont kill you itself, you need to make something bad happen.

The better the tyres you have the less likely that incident is going to occur, and in my experience MPSS are the best, and the RE050A's I run are a close second. I havent noticed any aquaplaning and indeed, on a very wet day at Blyton Park about a year ago the car and tyres were exceptional, my laptimes were only slightly slower than that in the dry. And it was pretty wet ..........

469443_437291426302983_1623632761_o.jpg

I remember way back when I was 20 and got my first 200SX, it literally took nearly 18 months before I put my foot down as the car inspired respect, its likely you will be the same in the Zed. Just take your time and learn the car, with the VDC its difficult to get yourself into trouble anyway, before you know it youll be steering into oversteer in 4th gear without a thought :teeth:

Having driven a 700hp one and a couple oT 500hp ones in the wet and living to tell the tale, maybe it was ;):D

Read this thread and frankly theres a lot of crap on here - through drifting, tracking and having many jap cars over the years I like to think Ive had more experience than most and the advice you keep hearing is right - the car wont kill you itself, you need to make something bad happen.

The better the tyres you have the less likely that incident is going to occur, and in my experience MPSS are the best, and the RE050A's I run are a close second. I havent noticed any aquaplaning and indeed, on a very wet day at Blyton Park about a year ago the car and tyres were exceptional, my laptimes were only slightly slower than that in the dry. And it was pretty wet ..........

469443_437291426302983_1623632761_o.jpg

I remember way back when I was 20 and got my first 200SX, it literally took nearly 18 months before I put my foot down as the car inspired respect, its likely you will be the same in the Zed. Just take your time and learn the car, with the VDC its difficult to get yourself into trouble anyway, before you know it youll be steering into oversteer in 4th gear without a thought :teeth:

Totally agree to that last bit, I had my zed a couple of months and was getting pretty confident so drove was driving with the vdc of as really annoys me sometimes when it just cuts in in a straight line.

Then one day it was raining and I put my foot down on a dual caridgeway in a straight line I wasn't giving it full beans just getting upto speed from coming round the round about 4th gear put my foot down next thing ino back end was fishtailing and over the white line, a scary moment.

But in my opinion its the only way you learn, I soon gained a new amount of respect for the car it knocked me back a couple of pegs but started again and now am I at the stage I am now and feel I am confident in all conditions, not too confident I just know the car now.

I'm not saying go out drifting but your only going to know what it is like by experiencing things yourself, by pushing it or by mistake.

I just typed a massive reply then realized how much of a **** i sounded.

I'll sum it up here:

If you can handle a bit of oversteer then turn the TC off and go balls out.

If you can't, buy another car

+1 thumbs up (on my phone)

If your scared or can't then don't, there's no point in turning it off then driving like a granny you may as well have it on where its not effecting you.

If you really do want want it off go to a drift day I.e DWYB drift what you bring or even a barrel sprints which are cheap.

Learn that way where there's not really any harm.

After reading through various threads in the 3 years I've been on this forum it looks to me like the vast majority of accidents are coming off roundabouts in the wet and yes, I lost it on a roundabout many years ago luckily without hitting anything. Roundabouts create a fairly unique set of problems, first of all they nearly always have a double change of camber, which can make the car "go light" coming off the second change. Next, roundabouts are one of the most likely places for diesel spills due to camber changes I would imagine. These are the places that will see motor cyclists come off and trucks shed their load. There is a roundabout near to the Broughton retail park that had a truck tipping over almost weekly until it the camber was taken out of it. Many roundabouts are surfaced in one go, obviously in a circular pattern, but the roads that join them are tarmaced in a straight line. Where the two join there'll be a difference in grip and in some cases even a different surface, for example when they built the A55 it had a concrete surface, but all the roundabouts were asphalted. Of course, nearly all roundabouts are low speed, low gear and this is where the tyres will take a much larger lateral load and if it exceeds the tyres limits..well you're in trouble.

Pete