handling in the wet

pdg32

I also think there is a tendency, if coming from a turbo car, to boot the loud peddle for that extra feel of grunt in the back but don't be fooled about the ZEDs speed because as most have indicated above providing you feed in the power progressively you then only have to look in the mirror to see just how rapidly other traffic falls behind.

The torque is deceptive, but planting the loud peddle to the floor (other than in a straight line maybe) and you will be catching the back end - whether the TC is on or off. :wink:

Crikey - that bad? So you can't ever put the pedal to the floor? What about fishtailing, do you get much of that in the zed, or the TCS keep that in checK? Does the TCS not inspire much confidence then?

I also think there is a tendency, if coming from a turbo car, to boot the loud peddle for that extra feel of grunt in the back but don't be fooled about the ZEDs speed because as most have indicated above providing you feed in the power progressively you then only have to look in the mirror to see just how rapidly other traffic falls behind.

The torque is deceptive, but planting the loud peddle to the floor (other than in a straight line maybe) and you will be catching the back end - whether the TC is on or off. :wink:

Crikey - that bad? So you can't ever put the pedal to the floor? What about fishtailing, do you get much of that in the zed, or the TCS keep that in checK? Does the TCS not inspire much confidence then?

Of course you can put the pedal to the metal (and you don't mind burning off your rubber :teeth: ) - but anything other than dry conditions would certainly cause fishtailing that the TC would not be able to 'address'.

The TC will help the average driver who chooses not to explore the car's limits, but if you are someone who boots it everywhere soooner rather than later the car will bite big time with the power it has. Like you said "constant throttle mid-corner, then progressive throttle on exit - even more so in the wet?" is a good starting point to save your :blush: 's

cheers Colin. I don't plan on booting it anywhere other than in dry conditions, have had my fair share of crashes / accidents in the wet and have learnt the hard way in terms of driving to the conditions. When I eventually do get my Zed, I'll be pussyfooting around for a long time methinks until confident.

Colin is spot on which is hardly surprising, you can put your foot down in the dry or even in a straight line in the wet you just have to get used to the instant torque and realise there is zero lag...

In the first few weeks I had my Zed someone cut me up at the Dartford tolls so when the barrier went up I floored it :scare: fishtailing and smoke :lol:

The key is to drive in all weathers I drive pretty much daily in everything including snow and ice so I understand what the car can and can't do and when it is likely to bite me...

I think I'm with you - so constant throttle mid-corner, then progressive throttle on exit? even more so in the wet? not quite sure re: the track driving protocol / jargon as never done a track day, by balanced you mean steady throttle and smooth steering?

Pretty much. Assuming a perfect corner, you'd brake early to get the car nice and settled, come off the brake and commence the turn in. Once you're clear of the apex you can start winding off the lock and then apply the throttle: Imagine a bit of string connecting the steering wheel and throttle pedal. The more lock you have on, the less throttle should should be applying. As that lock starts to go, the string goes slack and you can push the pedal more.

It's a bit hard to describe in text, but I hope that makes sense.

Was at brands in really wet condition recently. Was definitely one of the quicker cars out there. I doubt its because I'm one of the best drivers so that just leaves the car being comparatively good in the wet. I was on pssp on the day with 4mm on the front and 3mm on the rear and would strongly recommend them.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by Shinjuku

Welcome to the forum. Put very good tyres on then you'll save yourself many times over without any scary moments. The Zed is easy enough to drive smoothly, wet or dry. Have done many rallies, zipping around very averagely sealed back roads, in sometimes very rough and cyclone weather (if there's an event we go), 9 years later we're still together. :D Just take care until you're used to it, once you find one. :wink:

Colin is spot on which is hardly surprising, you can put your foot down in the dry or even in a straight line in the wet you just have to get used to the instant torque and realise there is zero lag...

In the first few weeks I had my Zed someone cut me up at the Dartford tolls so when the barrier went up I floored it :scare: fishtailing and smoke :lol:

The key is to drive in all weathers I drive pretty much daily in everything including snow and ice so I understand what the car can and can't do and when it is likely to bite me...

Was that in wet conditions, or dry (the fishtailing)?

Welcome to the forum. Put very good tyres on then you'll save yourself many times over without any scary moments. The Zed is easy enough to drive smoothly, wet or dry. Have done many rallies, zipping around very averagely sealed back roads, in sometimes very rough and cyclone weather (if there's an event we go), 9 years later we're still together. :D Just take care until you're used to it, once you find one. :wink:

But can I simply switch to a set of the Pilot Sports, as some say that the car is only set up for RE050 fitment?

I understand they are designed for dry grip and therefore aqua plane more than others. On just wet roads they are good due to the compound on the inner edge On poorly drained surfaces they are not great. Therefore I can't agree with ekona that they are good for winter.

Perhaps read the reviews and decided for yourself if they are designed as a true all season all roads tyre or a high performance summer. Personally I run winter sport m3s in winter.

Edited by Shinjuku

MPSS are better in the wet than any other non-winter tyre. They are the best performance tyres you can buy, full stop.

I understand that different drivers have different opinions.

From what I have read though, it does sound as though the Michelins have the edge.

Ekona - what about the Goodyear Eagle F1 - also meant to be awesome in the wet?

Shinjuku - are the RE050A's really an 'all-year-round' tyre, or a summer tyre that can be compared to the MPSS? are you saying that they never aquaplane? what about their wet handling compared to the MPSS?

Also, isn't the zed designed to work better with the Bridgestones, or is this just a myth

Well the 50s are probably also a summer biased tyre but not massively more so than most. My point is that the mpss are designed with a dry grip bias, sit between a normal road tyre and a track tyre and the reviews say they are more.subject to aquaplaning.

As above, I used them at brands in stinking weather on a well drained surface and really liked them.

However due to the standing water issue I choose not to use them during winter.

Edited by Shinjuku

MPSS are better in the wet than any other non-winter tyre. They are the best performance tyres you can buy, full stop.

I understand that different drivers have different opinions.

From what I have read though, it does sound as though the Michelins have the edge.

Ekona - what about the Goodyear Eagle F1 - also meant to be awesome in the wet?

Shinjuku - are the RE050A's really an 'all-year-round' tyre, or a summer tyre that can be compared to the MPSS? are you saying that they never aquaplane? what about their wet handling compared to the MPSS?

Also, isn't the zed designed to work better with the Bridgestones, or is this just a myth

Yes F1's are supposed to be better in the wet. I use f1's in the wet and they are awesome.

All reviews show the f1a2 being better in the wet plus the little a-f ( not that its the best indicator) shows f1's are better than MPSS in wet too. No doubt the MPSS would be great in dry but they arent as good in the wet.

I thought I remembered reading the Michelins are also A-rated with respect to wet grip - ?! Not sure what you mean there, unless that's the Pilot Sport 2's (or is that the same tyre, not sure)

You say you use them in the wet - not the dry also? Guessing it's a pretty solid all-surface tyre (apart from winter snow / ice), rather soft compound. i'm trying to establish the best all-rounder, with an emphasis on wet grip.

What is the bridgestone wet grip like?

my advice would be go book yourself on an airfield day. you can freely explore what you and the car can and can't do and where the limits are with out the risk of spanking the car

can you advise how an airfield day works normally? is it with an instructor? not heard of these before.

Have a look at tyre reviews online.

Basically anything decent will do you for normal road use as long as you at least match the axle pairs. For budget go for falken 452 with a couple of extra psi or toyos. If you are willing to spend real cash on tyres then maybe take the mpss and a set of winters. There are lots of options in the middle so choose one the review sites rate and you can get a good price on. Then post on here to see if it is a known turkey

Basically zed is above average in the wet and has a fairly predictable handling set up, but you can't go nailing the throttle on wet corners unless you are an amazing driver. Anything more than that and you are overthinking it to my mind.