handling in the wet

pdg32

I think Re050 are good in both wet and dry but I will be replacing the rears with MPSS next week before the MOT, mainly based on recommendations from here.

This is only my opinion but have a read of the reviews with a budget in mind, no tire on earth is going to stop the Z fishtailing / sliding if not treated with the respect it deserves, if you go round a roundabout in the wet and boot it on the exit you will eventually bend the car!

Edited by OllyB

That tyre review site is populated by morons. Read the actual text from the users and it's clear that 95% of them have no clue what a decent tyre should be. All they do is say that their current tyre is great because they spent their hard-earned on it and don't want to lose face by saying they made a mistake.

Any tyre will aquaplane, so no-one can say a tyre will never do it. Basically you have three camps: Track stuff like the R888, normal tyres like the MPSS, and winter tyres. There will be margins between those three sets, but basically you're exchanging dry grip for wet grip as you move down the list.

You don't need winter tyres, but they are much better in cold conditions. I run 050As all year round and just drive to the conditions, and that's all you need to do really. Eagle F1s are good, 050A are good, MPSS are good. You won't go wrong with any of them, but the extra wear plus extra dry grip means the MPSS stand out for me.

• Like 1

Its not the user reviews that make it particularly useful in my view although the voting patterns do reflect general sentiment on various tyres and to that extent are definitely worth attention.

Each tyre has a number of links to results of reviews conducted by mags etc. Not all do but most of the premier options have coverage.

The mpss is a tyre designed to be somewhere between a normal summer tyre and a track tyre. if you like that buy it they are awesome. If not perhaps go for the 50s

Id choose, and do choose, mpss and run a set of winters during the colder months but that's personal choice.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by Shinjuku

You don't need winter tyres, but they are much better in cold conditions. I run 050As all year round and just drive to the conditions,

True if you think UK= south england. If you live in Scotland where even last night it was -2 and wet/icy winter tyres are much much safer. Summer tyres will either get you in a ditch or get you home sub 10mph.

Everything else I agree with.

Edited by Dblock

MPSS and F1's are the best tyres out there IMO. MPSS has better dry and f1 better wet. choose what you want from a tyre,.

OK - but aren't they both A-rated with respect to wet grip? Or is there more to it than that?

there is of course 'fuel efficiency' ratings to consider - and it seems the Bridgestones rank very low in this area

Edited by pdg32

so are you saying the RE050A's do not aquaplane?

i will try and read some of the tyre reviews on here at some point.

I have always had REo50As on for over 40k and driven in torrential rain, never had any aquaplaning... but then I drive to the conditions on the road, had plenty of traffic pass me when conditions are bad but I prefer to arrive in one piece than risk getting there 5 minutes earlier :surrender:

MPSS and F1's are the best tyres out there IMO. MPSS has better dry and f1 better wet. choose what you want from a tyre,.

OK - but aren't they both A-rated with respect to wet grip? Or is there more to it than that?

there is of course 'fuel efficiency' ratings to consider - and it seems the Bridgestones rank very low in this area

As I said in the other thread I think you are getting very hung up on choice of tyres.... certainly any 'fuel efficiency' rating would be irrelevant on a Zed.....

Only bad points for the 50As are they can be skittish in the very cold until they warm up a bit and they are noisier than some makes..... I can't rate them against anything else on a Zed because I have only used them and nothing else but they have never let me down in all weathers and I have had no trouble keeping up with everyone on the Wales weekends :wink:

• 4 months later...

Ahh the wet and FR/RWD cars, seriously treat the wet with respect,, 5 years ago i owned an S14, and just like HEADPHONES said, my first experience was exiting a roundabout with my foot casually/lightly on the throttle and suddenly the rear is over taking me even at the relatively small speed i was doing, this happened a few times in the wet, it was almost no matter how light i touched the throttle every now n then the S14 reminds you it wants to KILL YOU! in the wet,

Then one day it nearly did, 2nd gear into 3rd, just entering the highway from a roundabout and the rear let go, .. a fish tail or two later im in a crash , my head bust open bleeding everywhere over my clothes - conscious but needing 6 stitches to fix my scalp up (the scar remains the hair dont grow in that scar line!)

since then i vowed to stay away from RWD so i did i owned a FWD Integra for a few years! (fun car), but here i am owning one of my dream cars!,,

a 350Z and its a RWD ive even tried to convince myself it will be a dry weather only car! but hey already broke that rule, driving her home last wednesday it was raining by the time i got level with warwickshire, and just told myself im in it now! but found myself feeling the 350z feeling fairly stable and had no issues!

but the S14 definitely leaves some bad memories for me!

as with whats said above i can only imagine bad things happening giving a 350Z full beans in the wet!

id like to add ive riden motorbikes for 15 years and my current Ninja 636 in all weather conditions, and it amazes me how much safer my bike is than it was driving the S14

anyways even im interested to know, beings the Zed is n/a so the smoothe power delivery is less likely to break the rear on light throttle than the S14, as the S14 is a turbo

Rob

Edited by Sempiternal

Despite it not being a superduper speed rocket, its still got power and even if your not driving like a hoon, just be careful when its wet. On the motorway I dropped to 3rd to move away from a slow moving truck, pulled out - didn't plant the throttle just progressively put it down - and the back kicked out, but the ESP kicking in to help... could have been wedged in the truck. If you haven't owned a high powered RWD car before (like I hadn't) the only thing you can do, despite things you read on here or other places, is learn as you go. You'll find out at random times what the car can and can't do lol It can handle wet weather just fine and plough on through as steady as a rock, just be careful when you go to make an adjustment, tight turn, roundabout etc depending on the circumstance the ESP doesn't always help you, the back can still come loose if its getting enough throttle. Just take it easy for a while, you'll get used to it and whatever tyres you have on. :thumbs:

Edited by AMT

Pilot sport 2! got a full set last month and live in scotland! Have never had any problems with vdc on and beating it on countryroads! however i did turn it off to practise the other night to practise a 'kansai drift' 3rd gear just planted the foot and entering the highspeed corner....lord... felt like a god!!!! put vdc back on straight after cause to be honest felt like i crapped myself in midcorner i was thinking you idiot!? Then still rushing with adrenaline came to a rural roundabout vdc off, clutchkicked second gear felt back end drifting gave it more gas it came out further then vdc slip light flashed :scare: spun me right round and stopt dead wrong way round on roudabout! So this weekend its time to just put a switch on the yaw controller so i can fully have vdc off! :teeth:

Drive like you would normal vdc is normally pretty decent! Try and keep an eye on when the slip light comes on when driving in the wet and realise the cause of it ie too much throttle, steering angle and correct yourself accordingly! i do the opposite to find out how to lose traction and what corners are possible for a little drifto. But seriously get-Wet grip rating A tyre, practise drifting because it could actually save you oneday, also drive around more with vdc off learn the limits of your car, throttle control is key! B)

Most of all ENJOY! :D

Edited by SkylineV35

Pilot sport 2! got a full set last month and live in scotland! Have never had any problems with vdc on and beating it on countryroads! however i did turn it off to practise the other night to practise a 'kansai drift' 3rd gear just planted the foot and entering the highspeed corner....lord... felt like a god!!!! put vdc back on straight after cause to be honest felt like i crapped myself in midcorner i was thinking you idiot!? Then still rushing with adrenaline came to a rural roundabout vdc off, clutchkicked second gear felt back end drifting gave it more gas it came out further then vdc slip light flashed :scare: spun me right round and stopt dead wrong way round on roudabout! So this weekend its time to just put a switch on the yaw controller so i can fully have vdc off! :teeth:

Drive like you would normal vdc is normally pretty decent! Try and keep an eye on when the slip light comes on when driving in the wet and realise the cause of it ie too much throttle, steering angle and correct yourself accordingly! i do the opposite to find out how to lose traction and what corners are possible for a little drifto. But seriously get-Wet grip rating A tyre, practise drifting because it could actually save you oneday, also drive around more with vdc off learn the limits of your car, throttle control is key! B)

Most of all ENJOY! :D

For the record: This forum does not condone or encourage the use of public highways or other public places as described by SkyLineV35

• Like 1

Dan's Helpful Tip Of The Day:

Just don't drive like a knob in the wet in any vehicle, and you'll be fine. Cars are not inherently dangerous and, contrary to popular belief, will not try to kill you if you dare touch the throttle when cornering.

• Like 1

Just don't drive like a knob in the wet in any vehicle, and you'll be fine. Cars are not inherently dangerous and, contrary to popular belief, will not try to kill you if you dare touch the throttle when cornering.

Guess my S14 was possessed :'(

Guess my S14 was possessed :'(

• Like 1

No, you were giving it too much throttle and going into boost mid-corner. It's why I don't like driving turbo cars, you may get massive shove but you lose the wonder that is a linear throttle progression.

No, you were giving it too much throttle and going into boost mid-corner. It's why I don't like driving turbo cars, you may get massive shove but you lose the wonder that is a linear throttle progression.

+1 get to know the car and take car of all the important stuff like tyres, pads & discs etc I have done over 40k in my Zed all year round all weathers and never had any trouble in any conditions

You have never been in a e30 325i sport or an amg.

• Like 1

Threads like this really hack me off. Did you not sit a driving test?? The Zed s no different from any other car!

Surely you must know that if you are driving in wet conditions, breaking and handling are different than in the dry, if not you shouldn't be driving any car!

Fact is, stick to the speed limits, adjust your speed according to the weather conditions and keep a safe distane from the car in front and thats it!

Would you dive in the snow exactly the same way as you would on a nice dry day? NO!

I've only had my zed about a month, but I find it handles very well in the wet considering the tyres it has. But I'm used to driving my 200sx, that thing wanted to kill me at every corner, the back end would step out driving a steady 30mph lol, the tyres on it were know for poor wet performance though, I was used to it and drove accordingly.