Cold weather door lock crisis!

x20drb

Went out to the car this morning to find it nearly fully iced over, de-iced as usual then poured some cold water over the car just to clear the sludge, unlocked the car, then to find the door completely frozen shut, but it felt like the lock more than the edges of the door, worrying, however the passenger door was okay, it took a 20 minute drive to make the drivers door openable!

is this a common thing? or is my lock just nackered?

Cheers

Dan

You proberbly got water into the mechanism somewhere and it froze solid.

As the car warmed up during you run to work the warmth from the heaters and engine

transferd to the lock and thawed it out suficiently to unlock.

However it may freece up again after you turn off dependant on the day temp.

Locks are designed to be clean and dust free, with a small amount off greece in the right place!

Unless its on a Canal then you can put as much water in it as you can get!

Edited by 4RE Leather

This happened to me a lot last winter, had to stand outside for ages pouring water over the door. I never worked out if it was the window being stuck causing it or the internal lock as when I pressed the fob nothing moved!

I've solved it this year by deciding to work from home for the next 4 weeks :thumbs:

Personally, I think that pouring water over an iced up car is never a good idea as chances are when you park up and its still freezing you are likely to end up with doors frozen to the rubber seals.

Drying seals if wet and a freeze is expected might help prevent the doors jaming.

De-icer or a heat source would be best for the locks, IMO.

Me too, It happened a few weeks back just after drowning it, but I had a spray can of silicone grease so I did all the rubbers around both doors and sprayed normal grease into the door lock. In the past few days of even colder weather it has given me no trouble at all.

You can buy little cans of lock de-icer. I've used them and they work quite well.

As advised above - a small amount of vasaline or silicone grease around the door rubbers works quite well if its just that freezing.

Just don't leave the can of lock de icer in the car like a mate of mine did :lol:

You can buy little cans of lock de-icer. I've used them and they work quite well.

As advised above - a small amount of vasaline or silicone grease around the door rubbers works quite well if its just that freezing.

Just don't leave the can of lock de icer in the car like a mate of mine did :lol:

You laugh but i did just that last week. Left the de-icer & scraper inside the front of the car.... last time i make that mistake.