Temporary Garage

oderuyter

3rd topic this morning! I have no garage (yet) and live on a farm so pretty exposed to weather and plenty of dust and crap, I wanted to park the Zed. I was looking at a cheap solution to protect the car until my landlord finishes the garage.

I thought about using a large gazebo - something like 3m x 6m, I can secure one side to my house and the rest weighted down, all this for about £55. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120967919958?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Before I bought it wanted to ask, has anyone else done this, so could pass on some wisdom, or anyone got a temporary/pop-up garage for sale?

Its a fair point you make for the fitted cover, just really worried about a stone getting caught in it, as it will be put on and off daily. Any precautions I can take?

Make sure car is clean before use or it can cause swells in the paint

Its a fair point you make for the fitted cover, just really worried about a stone getting caught in it, as it will be put on and off daily. Any precautions I can take?

Make sure car is clean before use or it can cause swells in the paint

See thats what I mean - The cover will be just chucked over each day when I get back from the office, and I really cant see me titting about with it in a suit on a freezing winters night...... hmm think I just answered my question there!

I would be tempted to look at increasing the level of protection you put on the actual car than anything else. I agree that the gazebo probably won't last very long, and a car cover isn't going to work either unless you wash the car every single night, so I'd probably put a slightly more durable finishing product on the car instead. I'd be looking at something like the FK1000P which is increadibly hard wearing, and while you do lose a little of the ultimate finish that a good wax will give it's worth it as it will give a massive amount of protection.

Edited by Ekona

I keep my girl in a green gazebo, she's lived in that for about 3 years.

MomokoinGreenTent.jpg

A few extra points though - obviously it was NOT designed as an all year all weather shelter and I've had to add:

i) 4 more big rawlbolt fixings (each corner) to bolt it to the floor

ii) 7 extra supports as under the weight of snow a couple of years back it sagged really bady

iii) roof struts in all 4 corners and 2 in the long sides for the same snow reason as ii) above

iv) 4 extra corner guy ropes to BIG securing fixings - when it's blowing over 60 mph winds it tried to take off and. . . that was an entertaining couple of hours as you can imagine in a howling gale, lashing with rain, me getting soaked and desperately adding extra guy ropes to stop it blowing away

But after all that - it's lasted 3 years and it keeps both the sun and the cold and rain off her. It also has kept the fireworks and rocket sticks off!

I especially wanted to give her some protection as mines a soft top and I din't want the soft top baked or frozen.

Obviously I wanted a proper garage, but didn't have the spare cash . . . .anyway, Good Luck

• Like 1

I feel bad for mine now, my soft top is outside all year. Ill see if I can squeeze it in the garage along with all the other shite...

as long as you use a good roof cleaner and protector it will be fine. i used to use raggtopp; water would bead off like water off a ducks ar$e, and it had UV protectors in it, and a colour restorer. so it always looked nice and black,

I feel bad for mine now, my soft top is outside all year. Ill see if I can squeeze it in the garage along with all the other shite...

I left my roadster outside too without any problems. Treated the roof twice a year with proper roof stuff and it still looked brand new. I made sure if it got snowed on id brush all the snow off asap as i didnt like leaving it under a foot of snow!

Delay in responding (apologies) about "Green Gazebo" re-inforcements as I tend not to open the covers up in the week - but did so today to shoot a couple of pictures

Vertical supports added as 6" - 8" of snow made the whole structure drop under the weight - just used simple timber 20mm x 75mm that I had in the garage, cut a notch in the top, then cut carefully to length and tied to the aluminium struts

Photo0099.jpg

Then corners done pretty much the same way, notch to fit around the aluminium and then cut to be a tight fit, and tied in position

Photo0100.jpg

Did this a couple of years ago and just had to re-tie them to make sure they were still taught each autumn

Post up some pictures of your build when you're done -