House insulation

adam1942

ts absolutely baltic this time of year. I've done a lot of work on the house from we've moved in which included getting PVC doors inplace of the old wooden doors that the rain actually blew through!

One thing we have noticed is its bloody freezing this year albit not half as drafty. When we where getting sky installed I noticed that no insulation came out.. (hole was drilled pritty low to the ground).. I'm wondeirng if anyone knows anything about cavity wall insulation? I've found my Electric company has some deal on and I've found prices online saying it costs "up to £350".. It does not say if this is per wall or for the whole house..

Can anyone comment if these prices are going to be per wall or for the full house?

Edited by adam1942

Had mine done by these:

http://www.markgroup...tion/homeowner/

Was £120. 2 bed detached house.

Made a bit of a difference to heating bills... Well it would have done if the energy prices hadn't gone up so bloody much > :(

+1, same here, same company, definitely made a difference, contact your council as sometimes they have deals with these companies who discount heavily

British gas were doing a deal that they would do loft and cavity walls free if you were a dual fuel customer. As above though, council may also have deals on.

I had the loft done by British gas last year and it's made a world of difference - it's about 10" deep all over.

One point of note with the BG offer was that for them to do the loft, they have to be able to do the whole thing. That may need you to clear it out or pull up any boarding in there

Edited by 350Chris

Just got mine done for free by the folks doing the grants: Apparently the government gave them so much cash for this that they've now done all the people on benefits, so are opening it up to anyone and everyone who wants it now! :D

My Dads just trained in something to do with this. from what i can gather there is a new thing coming out next year. and anyone looking at doing any kind of insulation work needs a home report of some kind.

basically what my dad does is do the report for the house and it tells you what grant money and stuff you're eligable for and what options you have like loft, wall insulation etc.

I can pass my dads details on to people if you want. i don;t fully understand the ins and outs of it as i wasn;t paying attention fully to what he was saying. but he'd defo give you some advice to point you in the right direction if that helps.

like whats best value for money, who to speak to , what money is available in grants etc where to get it from etc.

Just got mine done for free by the folks doing the grants: Apparently the government gave them so much cash for this that they've now done all the people on benefits, so are opening it up to anyone and everyone who wants it now! :D

For free? You git!!! :p;)

Tell me about it, we've had those cold calls at the door for a couple of years and I've just ignored them as we're not on any benefits so don't qualify, but this one time I thought I'd make the effort and chat with the bloke. Best thing I ever did, also got all the loft done in 4" insulation as well :)

My Dads just trained in something to do with this. from what i can gather there is a new thing coming out next year. and anyone looking at doing any kind of insulation work needs a home report of some kind.

basically what my dad does is do the report for the house and it tells you what grant money and stuff you're eligable for and what options you have like loft, wall insulation etc.

I can pass my dads details on to people if you want. i don;t fully understand the ins and outs of it as i wasn;t paying attention fully to what he was saying. but he'd defo give you some advice to point you in the right direction if that helps.

like whats best value for money, who to speak to , what money is available in grants etc where to get it from etc.

its called "the green deal" - however, this is effectively a loan or charge on the property - if you sell the house the charge remains on the property - to me this is not a good deal !! as prospective buyers will be turned off by the fact that not only do they have a mortguage to deal with but a loan :thumbdown:

Tell me about it, we've had those cold calls at the door for a couple of years and I've just ignored them as we're not on any benefits so don't qualify, but this one time I thought I'd make the effort and chat with the bloke. Best thing I ever did, also got all the loft done in 4" insulation as well :)

Nice one :)

only 4" ??

they have to improve the heat loss value to 0.16 u value - 4" definately won't do that (should be more like 10")

its called "the green deal" - however, this is effectively a loan or charge on the property - if you sell the house the charge remains on the property - to me this is not a good deal !! as prospective buyers will be turned off by the fact that not only do they have a mortguage to deal with but a loan :thumbdown:

thats the one, he is green deal accredited, but when you look at the costs associated with insulation its paid for very quickly. in comparison to something like a solar panel setup. and its something that apparently is going to be rolled out nationally and eventually every house will need to have a green deal certificate. might as well get in early and sort it.

only 4" ??

they have to improve the heat loss value to 0.16 u value - 4" definately won't do that (should be more like 10")

This is on top of the existing stuff we already have in.

We had ours done a few months back, simialr to Ekona we called Tesco Energy told them we would like to take them up on their offer to insulate loft and wall cavity.

They arranged an appoitnment, assessed the walls were fine which I knew as the electrician testified when rewiring.....but the loft wasnt adequate and was compelted in a few weeks after the assessment.

All FOC and we arent a Tesco Energy customer :surrender:

Google then call around, nothing to lose... the OH organised iours and she said if the loft had been considered OK and we still wanted it doing they typically charge around £100

Oh and yes it's a substantial layer they've put up there! Oh and Ekona you're meant to exagerate inches :lol:

My mate has just started a business with this and is making an absolute fortune. Its free up in scotland to everybody to most people are saying yes, go for it. Which in turn is allowing the council to fill his pockets with lots of paper