How reliable are the Older 911's?

Jay

If anyone thinks a car that costs £20K more when new isn't better than the cheaper one, they're an idiot.

I was with you until you said that - an R35 being a classic example that outperforms, in so many ways, a whole host of so-called supercars - hence why any number of Pro racing drivers have chosen them. :shrug:

If anyone thinks a car that costs £20K more when new isn't better than the cheaper one, they're an idiot.

I was with you until you said that - an R35 being a classic example that outperforms, in so many ways, a whole host of so-called supercars - hence why any number of Pro racing drivers have chosen them. :shrug:

Better is subjective though. I'd rather have a rari or an AMG over a R35. If going fast is your only and main priority then maybe.

Better is subjective though. I'd rather have a rari or an AMG over a R35. If going fast is your only and main priority then maybe.

was going to say the same, R35 might be faster round the track so to speak, but the interior isn't as nice as other cars.

But the context was 'bang for your money' and those are a lot more new than the £20k difference mentioned ;)

the R35 has been built to the extremems of its budget; i would say its a highly strung car, and this is evident from its service intervals and cost of replacement parts. i think the porsches are more spaced ou

i wouldn;t say its had the cheapest parts put on it, but there will have had to of been some compromises in order to keep the costs down to compete with the likes of porsche etc. I'd rather buy a high performance car like that from a manufacturer whos soul purpose is performance cars. if you take your porsche 911 to a porsche garage they spend all their time working on 911's, caymans, boxters GT3 etc etc. you take you R35 to nissan Or even your 350Z or 370Z and we all know most of them can;t tell their arse form their elbow as most of the time they spend it working on micras.

But the context was 'bang for your money' and those are a lot more new than the £20k difference mentioned ;)

Not really an e55 or a sl55 amg is 15k so thats more bang for buck etc etc. It would be boring if we all had the same cars. One note though Porshces are generally track ready out of the box. A baffled sump is what the hardcore people upgrade other than that they are pretty set up.

One clever thing about the Porshces is that generally all models share the same parts to keep costs down e.g. a 987, cayman and 997 will share alot of parts so parts are easily available and due to ecomnimes of scale generally prices arent that bad. E.g. the brakes on a 3.2s 986 are the same as the 996 which is heavier and more powerful.

If anyone buys a car because of the badge, they're an idiot.

If anyone hates a particular brand because of the badge, they're an idiot.

Sometimes though the best car isn't actually the best car for the individual, which is why we all ended up in Zeds here.

There's better cars out there, certainly for the money, but we all bought the Zed in whatever form because it was the best car for us at the time.

How hard is that to understand, and to let people enjoy the choice they made without being labelled as an idiot who seeks some proprietary idea of 'bang for buck' or 'premium badge'?

Had to quote that again.

:thumbs:

And as mentioned if anyone is truly interested in Porsche's (of the carrera variety) let me know as the guys I know have things from the 60's up to carrera gt's etc.

Glad to see everyone has different views on this :lol: 911 has always been a car I have liked so its one I will own at somepoint in my life as I LIKE IT. Just deciding when the best time to buy one is, thats all

Hmm, mostly borrocks IMO. "I personally don't agree with this bang for buck stuff", probably never compared the two, from new, to 3 years old, as old as the 370, more bang for buck, try buying a three year old Cayman, never mind a 911 for 16/17k., if you can find one, I'll buy it if it has, which it won't, the same "spec"

Best get your wallet out then

Aircon, satnav, heated door mirrors, leather interior, tracker, the excellent sport seats, and a better chassis. Dynamically superior as the engine is in the right place, and you get more room for shopping too. Quicker 0-60 and higher top speed as well, if that floats your boat.

Only thing it falls down on is the 3 year old rule, admittedly, but it's only done 46K and Porsches wear much better than Nissans anyway so it really won't feel like a 6 year old car. There's a 370Z on there for £16700 that's done 33K miles in three years, which would be the closest competitor but that's an auto.

Yes it falls down on 3 year rule, but that's the point, 6 years old!! Best keep my wallet in ma hippy, eh?

Might not matter to everyone but for me I like having a car that isn't parked on every other street where I live. Caymans and 911s are quite common around here and, while it might cost less, the Z gets more attention. I've had people come up to me in the street, at petrol stations etc to talk to me about the car. Don't think that happens with more common cars.

I've got nothing against Porsches, but when it comes time for a change I'll be looking to get something that has the same 'unusual' factor that the Z has. So long as a car is a good performer overall, I'm not that fussed if there's another one that gets to 60 in a few tenths of a second quicker, if it hasn't got the interesting/unusual factor. (Also think the Z looks like it should cost more than it actually does).

Edited by sipar69