London to Edinburgh on one tank (results p3 & p4)

ddcboyle

Back now, and i got back on one tank, although, found a possible issue with the car.

The zed has 80litre tank right? I was in the red where the fuel light came on before i started the drive so topped up fully, which only went upto 56litres. I doubt i have 24litres in my reserve, so im guessing its dodgey sensor?

But minus this, ill be going to garage to top up tank, and try my expertise at making some graphs for the first time, done 3 different speeds, 56mph, 60mph and 70mph for various distances. See if they made a noticable difference on mpg.

London to Edinburgh

Time: 0930am - 1830pm (9hours)

Distance: 409miles

leg 1) 0-190miles, 60/61mph, average 37.95 mpg

leg 2) 190-310miles, 56mph, average 39.95 mpg

leg 3) 310-370 miles, 70mph, average 32.45 mpg

leg 4) 370-406miles, varied mph, average 29mpg

Trip computer average MPH: 62.33 mph

Trip computer average MPG: 34.83 mpg

Car refuel at end : 52.26litres

Converted: 11.47 gallons used

Actual average MPG: 35.65

Cost of driving 409 miles : £69.45 (Using standard 95petrol)

---------------------------------------------------------

I can honestly say i will never be driving like this again. Not even for 70quid. The initial 90miles wasnt too bad, driving at 61mph, but then it gets a bit dull that everyone is overtaking you. But! i endured, for 160 miles at 61mph, then took a lunch break and reset the tripcomputer. Began travelling at 56mph, which was even worse, when lorries were overtaking you. You just feel like a prat. and those mpg arent smiles per gallon anymore. So after driving at 56mph for 120miles, i decided to boot it upto 70, which atleast i was overtaking trucks.

All in all, id say if your going to travel 400miles, do the first 100miles at 60mph... and the last at 60mph. That way your not staring at your trip computer, fuel gauge, speedo and all sorts the whole damn way. What a crap drive. But hey, i didnt need to top up.

More boring results to follow when i get my ipad out the car.

It will show Time, Distance travelled, where fuel gauge points to, mph, mpg and comparison between 56/60/70mph.

By the end of the journey i still had the full last bar remaining. This was driving with a crammed full car too

Just goes to show though the zed isn't bad on juice on a run.

My GF's 1.2 106 would only manage 45 mpg on the motorway. So not bad at all.

I'd rather take the zed lol.

I think we'd have been somewhat concerned if you had opted for the 106 :wink: :surrender:

I highly doubt ill be doing 56 again. My journey home will be 60mph from edinburgh to the border, then my normal speed until i come off the m6 and back to 60mph. Should still get back on one tank, might just be a bit tight for fuel.

Question i asked earlier, not sure if anyone read, My fuel tank was on empty before i left, but only managed to put 54litres in. As the zed has 80litre tank, im guessing it doesnt have 26litres as a reserve, so is this a sensor thats out of place or something in fuel tank? I wont be fixing it since its not that bad a thing, or is it the same for everyone?

Interesting read! I too have gotten very high 30's driving 56-60 experimenting on my commute and also driving up to Yorkshire (where I averaged 36mpg driving 60-70mph).

Your fuel tank sensor probably needs cleaning. They often read out and it's a common issue. Fixing it just involves draining the tank (driving about lots) then removing some of the trim in the back, pulling the sensor out and cleaning with cotton buds. It's an amazingly basic sensor which just getting clogged up over time, making the car claim the level is lower than it really is (rarely reads higher in my experience). Easy to do, just have to be careful 1) Not to get petrol all over the place and 2) Don't spark up during the job.

Guide:

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/54763-how-to-fix-the-inaccurate-fuel-gauge/

Edited by Siman350z

used 95 due to the distance of the drive, i see no need in putting superduper petrol in when the cars sitting at 1,700 revs for 7hours. I put in 99momentum usually, but 95 if i travel upto scotland.

Im gonna look into the guide, see if my bad d.i.y skills can tackle a sensor :D

Some more results if anyone can be bothered reading :) gives you an indication that i didnt just think up an average mpg or go for the highest mpg

*This will be done as percentage of fuel remaining

TIME / speed / Current MPG / Miles driven / Where fuel gauge sits at*

10:44 61mph 37.7mpg 62.3 100%

11:25 61mph 37.8mpg 100 87.5%

11:56 61mph 38.1mpg 129 72%

12:10 61mph 38.1mpg 142 75%

12:33 61mph 38.2mpg 164 72%

13:02 61mph 37.9mpg 173 60%

Stopped for break and reset the trip computer and changing speed

13:44 56mph 40.6mpg 211 50%

13:51 56mph 40.4mpg 217 60%

14:12 56mph 40.1mpg 235 46%

14:35 56mph 39.3mpg 255 46%

15:06 56mph 39.9mpg 281 44%

15:51 56mph 39.7mpg 307 42%

Stopped for break and reset the trip computer and changing speed

16:03 70mph 32.6mpg 319 40%

16:10 70mph 32.9mpg 327 35%

16:21 70mph 32.9mpg 339 29%

16:30 70mph 32,0mpg 349 35%

16:37 70mph 32.7mpg 356 25%

Journey end at 409miles driven, tank 20% remaining

Fuel % Changes throughout the whole journey, sometimes going down a whole bar then going back up half. Either my fuel sensor or its just the fuel moving around differently at hills etc

• Like 2

My tank sensor reads similar to yours buy the sound of it. Mine was reading empty on the gauge for 2 days and i kept driving until the range read ---miles. I then filled the tank but only got 57 litres in it. My gauge reads fine till I get to the last quarter where it just sort of goes between 1/4 and empty.

I tried the cleaning repair as mentioned above. But it made no difference. Really need to check the ohms reading on both sensors when it reads empty to see which one is playing up

My tank sensor reads similar to yours buy the sound of it. Mine was reading empty on the gauge for 2 days and i kept driving until the range read ---miles. I then filled the tank but only got 57 litres in it. My gauge reads fine till I get to the last quarter where it just sort of goes between 1/4 and empty.

I tried the cleaning repair as mentioned above. But it made no difference. Really need to check the ohms reading on both sensors when it reads empty to see which one is playing up

Got fed up with mine and bought a Scanguage II and it's bang on for accuracy as long as you enter the correct amount every time you fill up, a few seconds well spent IMHO. :smile:

Got fed up with mine and bought a Scanguage II and it's bang on for accuracy as long as you enter the correct amount every time you fill up, a few seconds well spent IMHO. :)

Cant say ive heard of the scanguage, any good?

Got fed up with mine and bought a Scanguage II and it's bang on for accuracy as long as you enter the correct amount every time you fill up, a few seconds well spent IMHO. :)

Cant say ive heard of the scanguage, any good?

http://www.scangauge.com/products/scangaugeii/

Here you go, have to say I've been very impressed by it, I bought mine after Lincolnbaggie recommended it, I think one or two others have had them too :)