London to Edinburgh on one tank (results p3 & p4)

ddcboyle

so if ur doing 50mph, are you still in 5th?

There was a thread a while back about when to change gear etc for fuel economy blah blah blah and I had a bit of a rant :blush: people were saying then that you should change up and be in 5th gear at 30mph and 6th gear at 40mph and I just honestly couldn't believe it..... I tried it and my Zed felt like it wanted to strangle me :scare: I don't drive around like a boy racer revving the nuts out of the car I just can't see why you would race to change up the gears in pursuit of mpg when if you drive sensibly it will not be that bad anyway :shrug:

ive always presumed higher the gear, the better fuel economy. at 40 in 6th, i wouldnt say the car struggled, it just didnt have power anytime soon when u deployed the right foot into action.

ill give the 5th til 60 a go, see if i recognise a difference. even if it drops a mpg, more comfortable than 6th with no power

Depends what you're doing at 40mph. Going down a hill or on a flat, 6th gear will be more economical that 3rd for example as you're putting no strain on the car to keep a constant speed due to the cog ratio

However, 40mph up a hill or accelerating in 6th will put strain on the car but you won't go anywhere so you're just wasting fuel

It's all about making the car do the least amount of work

Best I ever got was 1021miles from my 2004 Audi A3 2.0tdi

Average speed of 57mph, £80 for 1000 miles!

Bet that was fun :drive:

I am sure some will disagree but I don't think racing through the gears to 6th at 40mph is really very economical... Far better to keep aware and off the centre pedal ;)

This thread sounds epic! :) I hope you do it mate, good luck!! You can still use the radio I think lol

PS. The Bounty Bar Kid - Whats the app you used for that? I've got a Samsung Galaxy Ace and I can't seem to find a decent free mpg thing if anyone knows one?

Edited by AMT250

It's easy! I done London in mine from Glasgow. Sat at 70 the full way and had about 1/4 tank left when I arrived in Surrey.

That was before I started any engine mods

:lol:

Yeah now I'm a tank and a quarter travelling slowly :lol:

• 3 weeks later...