A little something for Buster. Updated 20th Nov (again)

Keyser

slight re modelling today.....opted for a 12 inch sub :teeth: and a alpine mono amp...sure Keyser will be along later with pics..and video :teeth:

keyser s wifes Kim install is also under way :teeth:B)

Edited by buster

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So

slight re modelling today.....opted for a 12 inch sub :teeth: and a alpine mono amp...sure Keyser will be along later with pics..and video :teeth:

So why are you installing Kim into your car...? :lol:

Looking good Buster, top craftsmanship Chris :thumbs:

Suprised you didn't go for a box that takes up the entire space between the seats and strut bar, with two subs, one either end and the amp(s) mounted in the middle?

Could even hide the amp(s) under a trapdoor out of sight of prying eyes.

(Sorry Chris, hope I haven't given Bob any more ideas, lol)

So

So why are you installing Kim into your car...? :lol:

Looking good Buster, top craftsmanship Chris :thumbs:

Suprised you didn't go for a box that takes up the entire space between the seats and strut bar, with two subs, one either end and the amp(s) mounted in the middle?

Could even hide the amp(s) under a trapdoor out of sight of prying eyes.

(Sorry Chris, hope I haven't given Bob any more ideas, lol)

i needed to keep some space :teeth: great idea though. :D

So Less than 24 Hours after I finished building Buster a Sub Box he's back - Apparently it's not good enough for him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:boxing:

Anyway he soon has it out the car

DSCF2783.jpg

DSCF2782.jpg

and I'm busy making the hole bigger

DSCF2780.jpg

for this !!!!

DSCF2781.jpg

So now he has a 12" JBL and a 700 watt Mono Block Amp - I thought it was loud before!!!!!

Won't say anything about the speaker envy he has now started with my good lady wife so she now has a design in mind to take on Buster's ICE install :scare:

If he wants his changed again he can do it himself !!! :p

:lol:

Vid in a mo :)

Edited by Keyser

Just wondering if the cubic capacity is sufficient for effective cone movement, seeing that it's a sealed box design.

Mind you, could always add a port hole.

So does porting help with smaller boxes then?

Not and ICE expert by any means - I just made a box that fitted in the hole - the capacity is about the same as the origional 10" box - which was not ported.

My 12" sub (not yet fitted) is in a bigger box with a port in it.

Just gave this a little read on tinternet....

Sealed Vs Ported Subwoofer Boxes

So you are ready to start building your car audio system? Where to start? Well a good place to begin is with the subwoofer enclosure.

There are many types of enclosures for every vehicle and listening style and each has its advantages and dis-advantages.

As just a general rule of thumb it is important to make sure your subwoofers will match the chosen enclosure

so I recommend knowing what you are planning to run before starting. So for instance before deciding on a subwoofer box you will want

to check what the recommended airspace specifications are for that model. Now we will discuss a few different options available for enclosures.

Sealed Subwoofer Boxes

The most common and versatile type of enclosure is sealed. This style enclosure is ideal for any application where space is going to be an issue.

In some cases a sealed recommendation for subwoofer box will be half of what the ported recommendation is.

They also have the advantage over ported and band pass enclosures in terms of overall sound clarity. A sealed subwoofer box will deliver a tight, clean and accurate bass response and have a flat frequency response curve.

In general a sealed box will be for listeners looking for sound quality driven system that is clean across the entire frequency band.

Vented & Ported Subwoofer Boxes

Next up are ported or vented enclosures, “ported†& “vented†are synonymous, it just means the enclosure has a hole in it to let air escape.

You know that guy you can hear from 2 blocks away? Well he is likely running ported box. This style enclosure will likely be about twice the size of a similar sealed box since the airspace inside the chamber is much larger.

Ported enclosures are tuned to a certain frequency range which is determined by the port length, width and diameter. The port can be in several configurations such as rounded or a slot which is narrower and taller.

Each subwoofer will have a specific frequency they are designed to run at for maximum output. Depending on what you plan to use the enclosure for it can be tuned to various frequency ranges by modifying the port.

So yeah, sealed is prolly best for the Zed......unless Buster want's to be heard two blocks away.... :D

Edited by BulletMagnet

I do agree, and have been reading up on all this cu ft requirements and ports and calculations - what I have learnt points to 2 things

1. It assumes a perfect world - i.e the space in the boot is the space in the boot dosen't matter if you need more - short of driving round with the boot open :lol:

2. The cu ft of the base box has to also be measured in respect of the acoustic properties of the car it is to be fitted to, so just because the box has the correct air volume it may still sound bad.

At this point I started reading the calculations on porting/venting sub boxes and my head exploded :wacko:

So yes I agree and I do think it should be a bit bigger - especially given the fact he has now put a 12" Sub in! - but the car still needs a boot otherwise Mrs Buster will be removing parts of Mr Buster's anatomy that he would much rather keep :scare:

The get out of jail card appears to be padding - by using nylon or loft insulation as padding you can artificially increase the cu ft of the box and yes there is a calculation for it and if you search hard enough you can find the acoustic variations caused by different padding material OMG!

So we built a box that fitted and put "that much" padding in it and turned it on - Buster liked the sound so it stayed.

Fair play if he happy with it then dont change it, i would say though i give it a couple of months before it develops the issue of not sounding as good as it used to. Unfortunately 99% of the time it is the same and it will be all in your head as you get used to it and deafer from it :lol: