Low Speed Brake Squeal

Johnny A

Over the last few weeks my Z's front brakes have started squealing when braking at low speed.

If I take the car for a blast and hammer on the anchors a few times it stops for a while but eventually comes back. Real pain in the ar5e in town!

The Z is under warranty so I'll take it in and have this looked at, but I just wondered if anyone else had had the same problem.

My pads also were doing the same, plenty of meat on them too.

Although since removing the calipers and replacing them, with the required copper grease te squeal has gone.

I would say, clean them thoroughly see if that fixes the issue. If not pads out and apply copper grease. If that doesn't solve it turn the stereo up :lol:

While you're there taking bits apart, check the calipers for caked on brake dust residue, especially where the pad guides are.

When changing the rears on mine recently, I noticed it was quite hard to remove the pads.

Once I did have them out i gave the calipers a good inspection and clean up (used a steel punch for the proper caked on bits).

With the residue gone, the pads slid in like butter.

Mine started squeaking straight after it's first service at 5k miles (as in, on the way home). The noise is awful and a safety issue as when it happens the natural reaction is to lift your foot off the brake.

I have borne it for a month thinking it might fade .. but it's slowly getting worse.. so I took it to Wessex Garages in Bristol to be looked at under warranty (the same place I got it serviced).

They admit the noise is awful and frustrating, but according to them since the brakes still work they don't have to do anything. They then offered to grease the brakes for £150 - without guaranteeing that would help. Awful service.

Have just got off the phone to Nissan - they promise to get back to me within 48hrs.

<edit>

The bit that really annoyed me was the response from them that "cars just make this noise sometimes"..

</edit>

Edited by mbcx4jrh

Mine started squeaking straight after it's first service at 5k miles

I don't get that. :wacko: As there is no way you would have needed new pads with that mileage (and I hope you were not charged for any), so it should have been a simple visual check as part of the 'service'. So quite why it started happening after the 'service' is baffling.

I see Wessex are a HPC dealer which is somewhat alarming when they then want to charge you £150 to cure a brake noise that from your description is certainly "not characteristic" - a term you might like to use in further discussions. I would take it to another dealer - hopefully that is what Nissan will say.

While you're there taking bits apart, check the calipers for caked on brake dust residue, especially where the pad guides are.

When changing the rears on mine recently, I noticed it was quite hard to remove the pads.

Once I did have them out i gave the calipers a good inspection and clean up (used a steel punch for the proper caked on bits).

With the residue gone, the pads slid in like butter.

+1 :poppy:

I don't get that. :wacko: As there is no way you would have needed new pads with that mileage (and I hope you were not charged for any), so it should have been a simple visual check as part of the 'service'. So quite why it started happening after the 'service' is baffling.

The only thing I can think of is that they washed it - and Ive seen them using a pressure washer before (i didnt see them actually wash mine). Can a badly used pressure washer cause problems? Can it blast out the grease, or jam grit in there?

I find it really suspicious timing - but it is possible it is just coincidence...

Mine started squeaking straight after it's first service at 5k miles

I see Wessex are a HPC dealer which is somewhat alarming when they then want to charge you £150 to cure a brake noise that from your description is certainly "not characteristic" - a term you might like to use in further discussions. I would take it to another dealer - hopefully that is what Nissan will say.

I agree - that's shockingly bad service and you shouldn't accept it :boxing: