Rainx Anti-Fog

Nico

Hey all,

I'm looking at ways I can help reduce the amount of fog/mist forming on my windows in my zed. The air-con doesn't really do a decent job unless I have the air con on full whack which makes it quite noisy in the car. driver/passenger side windows also take their time in "de-fogging" too.

initially I thought it could be due to the vents not giving out enough air but I have had them checked through and through and they are fine. I've now started looking at different window treatments you can apply to help reduce fog/mist inside the car.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with Rainx Anti-fog (or anything similar) which can be applied on the inside. My main concern is if it causes notable build of moisture (the "fog" has to go somewhere :))

link to product below:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rain-81199200-Anti-Fog-Repellent/dp/B002G291SW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1351243409&sr=8-1

Nico

I've used it in another car and it was pants.

I've also used it on a motorbike visor (same brand) and that too was sh1te.

I'm not sure if it's worth replacing seals etc? Search may yield something or someone like ZMANALEX might be able to advise.

The seals could be a good shout to be honest, i've only had my zed a few weeks now but all of the windows on the inside of my car fog up on almost every journey.

I have noticed that my car air freshner can be smelt on the outside of the car which is unusual. I have no noticeable water ingress, as in wet carpets etc and the car does not steam up until i am sat in the car though.

On previous cars i've always ensured the inside of the windows are cleaned regularly and this is normally enough to stop the steaming up.

Have you tried using the screen demist button with the air-con on - worked a treat on my previous 350's (and now in the 370)

Might be worth turning off the re-circulating option as well (the indicator light in off position).

See 4.9-4.11 of the owner's handbook (2006 version) ;)

If doing that there is no improvement then a regas sounds a possibilty. Shouldn't have to use RainX anti-fog, or whathaveyou, in the ZEDs :)

Mine clears fine in seconds with the air con on, it only bothers me as any additional noise in the cabin (such as the blowers) means i hear the gorgeous engine/exhaust note a little less, lol.

I've had cars in the past that froze on the inside of the screen in winter, thats a chore, lol.

Jon

i use rainex on the outside, not tried the interior stuff.

with regards to the seals, get some good silicone wax and rub it into all the seals around the doors. it should plump them up and help them seal. also helps keep the rubber in good condition.

for reference i use super lube. comes in a small yellow pot, and can be got off ebay for a couple of quid.

I like RainX. great stuff to put on the outside of the windscreen. Takes some getting used to. Driving along the motorway in the rain and no wipers is unusual but the water just runs off. Not used the anti fog stuff

Agreed its like being in a time warp with the rain projecting up the screen. Fantastic stuff.

In terms of interior, the anti fog is rubbish and probably makes the issue worse. Super clean windows is the answer. Autoglym Fast Glass I find impeccable. Easy on easy off. To ensure they're clean clean them twice each time you clean the car.

What I don't understand is why people use the aircon for clearing windows. I just blast warm air to dry the moisture. Job done.

Never used RainX, I use the PIAA Screen and protect stuff, does the same job, lasts ages and you don't need much, I've had my little bottle 18 months and not even used 3/4's of it lol

Not anti mist though just means i dont have to use my wipers so much :)

Edited by Voodoo Vix

air con works like a de humidifier, it takes the moisture out of the air, which speeds up the clearing process. so aircon set to hot and aimed at the window clears in seconds, comapred to just hot air which takes longer.

+1 cold air holds less moisture plus with the air con you don't have up wait on the car to be heated.

air con works like a de humidifier, it takes the moisture out of the air, which speeds up the clearing process. so aircon set to hot and aimed at the window clears in seconds, comapred to just hot air which takes longer.

+1 cold air holds less moisture plus with the air con you don't have up wait on the car to be heated.

This. If it doesnt clear it then the aircon might need regassing.

Good tips in these posts,

since I only drive her on the weekends, I clean the windows every week inside and out (I also use auto-glym, top stuff :thumbs: ) so doubt that is the problem. Air Con also charged and blows like and arctic gale.

Wouldn't hurt to coat the seals round the doors/windows, I'm sure the old man has some silicon wax lying about being a plumber and all.

I also browsed the USA 350zeeee forums and someone on there said that a tied up thin linen cloth filled with kitty litter also helps :scare:

also, Just to clarify, when I mentioned I used the air-con, I should of included that I already whack it on high-temp + high-volume with the screen de-mist jobby switched on. Don't want everyone thinking I had it set to only blow at my toes :p

Nico

Perhaps you just have a lot of moisture in the car then? Shouldnt take more than a few seconds to clear on full blast. Either you dont run the AC very often and have the windows shut all the time or you do have a leak somewhere letting that much moisture in. Having some kind of moisture trap may help, but isnt solving the real problem of why there is so much moisture.

Buy a 1kg tub of Kilrock, sprinkle some in a container and place anywhere in the car and it'll suck any moisture out of your car overnight, The container in the morning will be full of water, its the best stuff i've used by far. I got mine from Wilco, can't remember how much it was but it wasn't expensive and it'll last for ages. Problem solved.

You could try CarPro Fight Fog, available from Mat @ i4detailing.

This stuff does work, but windscreen (or bathroom mirror I use it on too) needs to be ultra clean first.

You will then struggle to fog up anything!

Got some through from Matt today with some IPA to clean the window first. Will give it a go as the van has the crappest window clearing in the world! Took about 10 mins to clear before I went to see Mitz last weekend! :scare:

You could try CarPro Fight Fog, available from Mat @ i4detailing.

This stuff does work, but windscreen (or bathroom mirror I use it on too) needs to be ultra clean first.

You will then struggle to fog up anything!

Got some through from Matt today with some IPA to clean the window first. Will give it a go as the van has the crappest window clearing in the world! Took about 10 mins to clear before I went to see Mitz last weekend! :scare:

Absolutely no sympathy from me - you should have kept the 370 - works a treat and cleared screen and windows in seconds this morning :p:lol:

Never used RainX, I use the PIAA Screen and protect stuff, does the same job, lasts ages and you don't need much, I've had my little bottle 18 months and not even used 3/4's of it lol

Not anti mist though just means i dont have to use my wipers so much :)

I have both, originally started on rainx got the PIAA stuff, still have alot of it, but went back to rainx, i think it was better.

I'm actually looking at getting duxback. which looks even better

I have both, originally started on rainx got the PIAA stuff, still have alot of it, but went back to rainx, i think it was better.

I'm actually looking at getting duxback. which looks even better

I went the other way (oo-er!) started with the PIAA stuff, tried Rainx and went back to PIAA.

Duxback looks good though so this may be in contention when (or if) my PIAA stuff ever runs out. :lol: