Vlad's Supercharged 350Z - pg20 Banzai Mag Feature

Vlad

• 1 month later...

Awesome build matey!

Looking to fit harnesses in my Zed but harness bars seem few and far between, and bloody expensive.

I was considering drawing one up and getting it custom made but after seeing what you've done I may go down that route, it'd definitely be much cheaper!

If you were to do it again is there anything you'd do differently?

Thanks Darren :lol: I only require new compressor unit :(

Sam, errrrm, no, I quite happy how it is, so don't think I would've changed anything... :)

Let me know if you need any info, I'll try to help with what you need etc(well, it's all pretty easy and visible from the pictures) :)

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Right then... I think I left it a bit tooooo long for an update!

Since last one - I didn't have much luck with SC!

When I got it running - took it to Mark@Abbey, couple hours n the dyno later - we (well,Mark did) realised that SC blower is knackered! Massive play in shaft = bearings are gone! Managed to get extra 7bhp! WOW! lol

Adrian/Octet tried few times contacting seller in UK, going thru PayPal and US forum - to get some of the money back - but had no joy. It was past 45 days, so couldn't do PayPal dispute... after contacting seller - he said that SC was running fine when he took it off the car... Which is bullsh*t... as it was sounding rattly and noisy on 1st start up! And the fact that he didn't include oil feed/oil drain lines when i bought it - makes me think if lines got damaged on his car = no oil to SC, which caused failure and he decided to flog it. Long story short - he is a scub bag! And thanks a lot to Octet to try to solve it/get some money back!

So got back from Abbey, straight away took SC off, stripped it in my living room, to find this

photo_zpse228107c.jpg

Failed high speed bearings.

Nightmare continues...

Ordered a rebuild kit from SuperchargerRebuilds.com (AVOID AT ANY COST!!!)

Kit arrived... on inspection - fond that high speed bearings had part numbers sanded down... so it could be anything!

Rebuilt supercharger, new bearings, new seals. Fitted to the car, sounded better with no play in shaft.... took it for a quiet drive -all good. As soon as I put my foot down - high speed bearings failed!

Contacted seller, asking for a refund... my argument was - that part numbers were sanded down, so it could've been any normal cheap bearing. Bearings that required needs to be 50-60k RPM rated. From the start he was saying that his bearings never failed and it failed because of wrong installation! He asked me to send him pictures of bearings - so he can see if there's a burn marks etc -which would indcate to wrong installation or lack of oil. I've sent him pics from every possible angle... bearings were clean, with no marks etc. After few more messages he agreed to the following:

- I send my blower to him

- He repairs it FREE of charge with new bearings

-Only thing I have to pay is postage there and back and to repair output shaft hole, as it got damaged as well, and he can't do it himself, so he will have to send it off to get machined out and have new metal sleeve put in.

So I've posted it to him...after waiting for over 2 months - he sent me an invoice for nearly 600 dollars.... which included cost of new high speed bearings... He said that he inspected failed bearings and he is charging me because they were incorrectly installed....But hold on a minute

a ) from day one you were sure that they failed because of wrong installation and you still agreed to repair it free of charge

b ) you had clear pictures of them from every possible angle - which clearly shows no damage etc

So in the end, his answer was "well, you can just pay 250 dollars for the output shaft hole repair and 90 dollars for the postage and ill post it back to you and you can do it yourself"... that made me angry! I already wasted 100 quid on delivery, waited 2 months... and he is not sticking to his part of the deal.

In the end i just paid him what he asked for, as all i wanted is my SC back. He also promised that it will be fixed and tested and all that...

So I got it back, fitted... still quite noise, but felt solid.

So I went back to Abbey for attempt number 2....which failed due to air leak! At this point we got it to 350hp@hubs

Went home, week later spent all day finding air leak, found it, fixed it.

Went back to Abbey...thought it will be 3rd time luck :lol:

But i was wrong...air leak was fixed, but still not making enough boost... there and then i fitted smaller drive pulley, Mark ordered smaller belt...all fitted - got more boost, but still not as much as it should be! On the dyno graph you can see that SC maxing out... compared to other people graph's with similar setup - you can see that they running more boost at any revs.... so on 3rd attempt Mark managed to tune it to 368@hubs and thats what it is now.

At the moment saving up for new blower and will be upgrading from V2 to V3... might as well while im at it :)

Thats SC bit covered...

Couple of pics

photo_zpsf3aa7014.jpg

photo_zpsbe7b45d1.jpg

^^ I also polished blower myself while it was apart..so its nice and shiny! Shame that it doesn't stay shiny for long due to vents in the bonner and water getting on it.

Other updates

Changed my exhaust from K1 to Scorpion... and loving it!

Bought twin pillar pod for gauges from Tarmac... so moved boost and AFR gauges there and left oil temp inside cubby

P4140401_zpsc8f5e666.jpg

P4140403_zpsc7b5c12e.jpg

^^ and new gear knob made by Jay

Few more things were purchased...car going into bodyshop this summer...so bits will be fitted, some bits removed, resprayed etc etc... so hopefully by end of summer Z will be looking fresh, with new bits and new SC :)

Here how she looks now

photo_zps9d8e8022.jpg

photo_zps67873165.jpg

photo_zps0c4b1d1f.jpg

Edited by Vlad
  • Like 1

You've had a worse time than I had supercharging the zed. Makes me so angry dealing with Americans. Iv had nothing but problems with them. Your car is looking awesome though mate and still one of my favorite zeds. Apparently only the cool people get v3 kits first time round ;-P

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

lovely pics Vlad, and such a shame you've had to suffer so much with the SC. Blame the Romanian, I would :lol: It can be very difficult dealing with the Americans. I was rather fearful of actually receiving a V8 and loosing a LOT of money. But all came good so far. Who's to say I have an engine shell but no internal parts..... :headhurt:

Your resilience to issues is the sign of a true petrol head. :clap:

I could make a sensible offer to take it off your hands :lol:

I'll just say she looks great mate as I have been with you all the way through the ups n downs of your FI build :thumbs:

Cheers Ian :thumbs: And yea, of course its all dodgy Romanian's fault! :boxing::lol:

Oh well.... off to a better things now... like V3 :lol:

Glad your's came ok! So you saved yourself a bit of stress for the later stage...fitting stage :lol:

I think this place and people on here kept me going! With all advice and help!

Keyser is definitely on speed dial on my phone :lol: I don't think I'll get away with just few donuts...might need to purchase whole factory for him ahaha

Thanks all for your help so far... but be ready...more to come :lol:

Edited by Vlad
  • Like 1