New forum help!

Stew

I dont know if its just me, as my piece of string to the forum is longer than the majorities... but it seems really slow this evening :shrug: ......... and its just me logged in, on my own with no friends to play with :console:

Seems fine to me Jim :shrug:

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I posted that it was running like a dog, been ok for the last hour or so. Other web sites loaded really fast at that time. Just thought I would mention it :thumbs:

No problem Jim, i am sure the admin boys will keep an eye on it :thumbs: I can tell you what is running like a dog at this time of the morning though..............me! :yawn::lol:

When you click to view new content, it shows you new content from the area of the site you are in. i.e. if you are viewing a profile, when you click view new content it shows you new members, if you are in the gallery when you click it, you get shown new gallery content.

Switch to the Ultra Yellow theme, and see if the view new content works as you would like using that theme - there are a couple of tweaks Ive made to that theme for testing purposes, one of which is always to direct you to the new content of the forums, regardless of the area of the site you are in when you click it.

Try that theme and let me know if the results are better - I can then roll the change out to all other themes.

Okay cheers, i've swapped to UY and will report back.

Hi Chris,

I swapped back onto the Azure theme for the first time since the above, and straight away get hit with the 'No new content found' message when clicking 'View New Content'. I've not had this at all whilst on the UY theme and overall it has been very robust.

I have just done the following test.

UY theme - while on index.html - click View new content - it works correctly.

Azure theme - while on index.html - click View new content - no new content found.

So whatever has been set in the UY theme that you described above appears to be making it work.

I have just done the following test.

UY theme - while on index.html - click View new content - it works correctly.

Azure theme - while on index.html - click View new content - no new content found.

So whatever has been set in the UY theme that you described above appears to be making it work.

index.html is the portal page (the one with the video and latest gallery). If you click view new content on that, it shows you new portal content. There isnt any.

If you are in gallery, and click new content, it shows you new gallery content

If you are in the calendar list and click new content, it shows you new calendar events.

What you are describing in Azure (or any theme other than Ultra Yellow) - is actually how the system is designed to work.

It appears though that most people are using the view new content in order to see a list of new forum posts regardless of what they are looking at on the site at the time. Thats why weve tested the change in one theme to see if it works (you will notice that in Ultra Yellow there is also a donate button on the menu that is missing from the other themes).

Once we are happy that we have one theme working properly with all the little tweaks we would like to see, then they will be replicated across the other colours.

We can then use the theme with all the completed tweaks as a basis for making the 370z ones. Yes we intend to have the option for choosing a 370z to be at the top, in the range of 370z colours, but may as well have them include all the corrections from the off.

On the desktop I have the forum set to open on the home page. Theme is in set on Pearl.

If I click on "new content" it either shows new members who have joined since my last visit, or if none "sorry no new content".

If I click on "new content" again it opens up new content within the forums - some greyed out that I have previously commented on and no other posts have been made. Must admit I am not entirely sure what the cut-off point is for the new content pages but it is easy to see when you have reached postings I saw on my last visit.

The home page is the portal. (the one with the video on)

If you click new content when on this page, it shows you new content for the portal. There isn't any new content on the portal, so you get "sorry no new content found".

Think of it this way... the forum is no longer a forum, its several separate applications.

Its a website with pages (the portal page "home" and any other specific pages we write)

Its also a gallery (the gallery tab)

its also a forum (the forums tab)

Its also a database of members (the members tab)

Its also a calendar (the calendar tab)

If you are in one of those applications and click new content, it shows you new content for that application.

Either way, I shall be re-writing the templates so that wherever you are, and whatever you are looking at, the "new content" button will just default to new content posted in the forums. Its just easier.

If you want to search for new content in any other specific area, then when in the list of new forum posts, select an item like the gallery, members etc on the left.

The home page is the portal. (the one with the video on)

If you click new content when on this page, it shows you new content for the portal. There isn't any new content on the portal, so you get "sorry no new content found".

Think of it this way... the forum is no longer a forum, its several separate applications.

Its a website with pages (the portal page "home" and any other specific pages we write)

Its also a gallery (the gallery tab)

its also a forum (the forums tab)

Its also a database of members (the members tab)

Its also a calendar (the calendar tab)

If you are in one of those applications and click new content, it shows you new content for that application.

Either way, I shall be re-writing the templates so that wherever you are, and whatever you are looking at, the "new content" button will just default to new content posted in the forums. Its just easier.

If you want to search for new content in any other specific area, then when in the list of new forum posts, select an item like the gallery, members etc on the left.

I understood it :blush:

But I can understand why you are changing it for those that don't ;)