Hello - Z owner looking for a VQ!

Hello all,

I’m astroboy. Far from a boy but an overweight man in his thirties who has a passion for cars.

I’ve got a Z sitting in my garage, kicked out of the factory in 1971, currently in good condition using a code starting with S30 inside it’s engine bay. WTF you may say. Well it’s the great (work out how many greats it should be) grandparent of the Z33.

My brother has a 350z which he cherishes dearly. It’s in great condition, hardly sees the rain, it’s a GT spec but as standard.

What I’m here for is to find out about the VQ engine that sits in the Z33. To get first hand information, find out what little things I should know about the engine and of course, use the search engine to find solutions to my questions that would of been asked many a time.

I’ve currently got the L straight 6 sitting in my bay on twin SU’s. A popular thing to do is to drop an RB25/26 in there but the weight of that thing is like yokuzuna, earthquake and tugboat sitting together from the WWF in the old skool days. Even though it’s capable of producing nice bhp figures, I’d prefer to stick with the QV.

So yeah, I’ll be learning about the VQ and eventually when someone tank slaps or runs out of talent I can pounce like a vulture.

Btw, I'm based in the east midlands 5 mins drive from Rockingham Raceway.

astroboy

Give me a call mate :thumbs:

Hello all,

I’m astroboy. Far from a boy but an overweight man in his thirties who has a passion for cars.

I’ve got a Z sitting in my garage, kicked out of the factory in 1971, currently in good condition using a code starting with S30 inside it’s engine bay. WTF you may say. Well it’s the great (work out how many greats it should be) grandparent of the Z33.

My brother has a 350z which he cherishes dearly. It’s in great condition, hardly sees the rain, it’s a GT spec but as standard.

What I’m here for is to find out about the VQ engine that sits in the Z33. To get first hand information, find out what little things I should know about the engine and of course, use the search engine to find solutions to my questions that would of been asked many a time.

I’ve currently got the L straight 6 sitting in my bay on twin SU’s. A popular thing to do is to drop an RB25/26 in there but the weight of that thing is like yokuzuna, earthquake and tugboat sitting together from the WWF in the old skool days. Even though it’s capable of producing nice bhp figures, I’d prefer to stick with the QV.

So yeah, I’ll be learning about the VQ and eventually when someone tank slaps or runs out of talent I can pounce like a vulture.

Btw, I'm based in the east midlands 5 mins drive from Rockingham Raceway.

astroboy

• 3 months later...

Hello all,

So it looks like I'll be sticking around here to learn more about the VQ35DE!

Have spoken to a Abbey already they have advised me to send them my ECU and disable NATS. The engine is completely stock which I'm happy with, just need to fabricate the shell to accomodate the new powerplant and 6 speed transmission. For me there is no timescale on this project so it's when I have time available to do it.

I hope to create a build thread if anyone is interested....

BTW, does anyone know where the engine lift points are on a vq35de?

Thanks

The car is in good condition for it’s age.Once I manage to sell the current engine, I’m going to remove all of the interior to a bare shell and paint strip everything. Anyone after a L6 engine (will be dyno’d soon for details on power)?.

On the S30Z I haven’t come across any rust yet (LHD california Import) but I need to be sure that it’s all gone before I start doing anything else, so off come the front wings etc an a proper clean up in the engine bay.No pictures as of yet but I’m making a website about how I restore it, the. I’ll be crossing over different forums as it covers a lot of different genres.

Edited by Astroboy

• 2 weeks later...