Am I expecting too much?

DannyBoy

My Zed is currently in at a garage for some work. The work itself is relatively complex and I'd expect it to take some time, but there's a bit of diagnostic work that comes before it that's more simple and should take less than a day. The garage need to call me after this diagnostic work to find out what I want to do about any fault that is found. My car originally went in to this garage on monday 1st october (a date that they suggested), with a loose deadline of 'later in the week' for the expected phone call. Come thursday 4th I hadn't heard anything, so thinking perhaps I'd given them the wrong phone number or something I rang them. I was told that work hadn't started yet and it would now be 'early next week' before I heard from them. It's now the 11th and I've still heard nothing from them. Given the nature of the work that needs doing before the phonecall I have to assume that they haven't even started yet. Am I right to be a bit put out that they've had my car for nine working days without doing anything to it with no explanation or even any contact from them, or should I stop whinging and accept this as normal practice?

I'm strongly considering just going and getting the car back, because I'm having to travel a lot in the near future due to a family bereavement, and not having the car is really causing a lot of stress just when I don't need it.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

DB

If they had started the work and diagnostic work, parts etc had taken longer than expected, then fair enough. But to take your car and not even start work is ripping the ****!

If it a friends doing the work for mate's rates then thats also ok, but if your paying the full price, i'd go get it back. :rant:

Yup, get the car back. Also, never leave garages with a 'later in the week' line, give them deadlines else they all take the mick.

Sorry for your loss too, were you close? :(

Thank you. Yes, close family member, and trying to participate in funeral arrangements by phone is not ideal.

I fully take your point about getting deadlines, but this particular garage is pretty high profile and has a pretty outstanding reputation, and I would never have expected them to do anything like this, so I was fairly happy to leave them to it.

Thanks for the replies people, I think I'll be going to get the car tomorrow and giving it to someone who actually values the work.

DB

Yup, get the car back. Also, never leave garages with a 'later in the week' line, give them deadlines else they all take the mick.

Sorry for your loss too, were you close? :(

Thank you. Yes, close family member, and trying to participate in funeral arrangements by phone is not ideal.

I fully take your point about getting deadlines, but this particular garage is pretty high profile and has a pretty outstanding reputation, and I would never have expected them to do anything like this, so I was fairly happy to leave them to it.

Thanks for the replies people, I think I'll be going to get the car tomorrow and giving it to someone who actually values the work.

DB

I think that's the right decision, they've had it for 11 days and haven't even done you the courtesy of letting you know they haven't started it yet. Sounds to me that they have bigger fish to fry :thumbdown: I obviously don't know what you're having done but I would seriously consider giving Tom at TGM in Fleet a call. Sorry to hear about your loss too :console:

Which garage as I used to know a few Ashford way.

Name and shame....

Condolences fella :console:

Thanks Ian.

As far as naming and shaming goes, I'd rather wait until the situation is resolved, however that happens. Everyone cocks up every now and again, and I think how they deal with their ****-ups often says more about a company that the mistake itself so we shall wait and see for now.

DB

Which garage as I used to know a few Ashford way.

Name and shame....

Condolences fella :console:

Thanks Ian.

As far as naming and shaming goes, I'd rather wait until the situation is resolved, however that happens. Everyone cocks up every now and again, and I think how they deal with their ****-ups often says more about a company that the mistake itself so we shall wait and see for now.

DB

+1 on name and shame. Garages will evidently mess up at one point by taking too many orders and not wanting to disappoint, naming and shaming should be done if they just chin you off. The place im going o regarding vinyl incident i was going to name and shame but theyve sorted out a good proposition and apologised, redoing the work for free with some money back. Most garages dont want a bad rep. Hope it gets sorted

ask them if they have to much work on at the moment, and that if thats the case and to save them face you are happy to take it else where as you need the vehicle.

if they say its fine and give a time frame, keep them to it. if they fall through again then name and shame.

give them an option to sort it.

as said before people from time to time take on more than they can handle with a hope of sorting it. sometimes an easy way out can help them and you both save face. but empty promises that continue do not deserve the business.

Sorry to hear about your loss mate :console:

I'd either phone up or go down and explain the situation to them and see what's been done. If its drivable take it and book it somewhere else or you could give them a chance to sort it as everyone now and then messes up :thumbs: