Lights blue touch paper & retires to safe distance

glrnet

All fair and well, but what about the millions of useless drivers that haven't got a clue what road signs are and the purpose of the indicator stick or mirrors, lane positioning etc rant rant rant. :wacko:

I would be more than happy for a test to be done every ten years to ensure road users are capable of driving a car :thumbs:

Good idea I think. I'm not kidding myself that it'll ever make any difference to insurance whatsoever, but from a road safety perspecitve it seems pretty sensible.

I think a lot of things to do with driving in this country suffer from having been concieved so long ago when things were very different, and then having been tweaked occasionally rather than overhauled when they should have been. My main issue with the current driving test is its lack of requirement to drive a certain number of hours in defferent conditions and situations.

If you look at aviation, there is a minimum number of hours you must complete both accompanied and solo before you can obtain a private pilot's license. There is an acknowledgement that just knowing the theory and what all the knobs and buttons do isn't good enough to let someone loose with the vehicle, and that a person should be forced to experience a wide variety of situations whilst still in a learning environment. You also have to renew your license annually. Even the RAF, who are starting with a hand-picked group of exceptionally capable individuals still take about 6 months to teach the basics of flying a light aircraft. Now I acknowledge that a light aircraft is significantly more complex to operate than a car, but there's also a hell of a lot less to hit in the sky. I don't see why people think an intensive 4 week course is going to equip someone with enough experience of varied situations to be able to act safely as part of something as incredibly complex as the UK road network, it's really pretty stupid when you think about it.

DB

Not a bad article IMO, I think that there are some good ideas in there, and realistic at that.

I thought the piece would be dredging up the ridiculous ideas of restrictions on new drivers - using certain road 'blackspots' and fitting black boxes so am pleased that they aren't included in this study. I've noticed that insurers are now asking if you're happy to fit a black box which is very '1984' and would pretty much kill any remaining pleasure available when driving on our roads.

The intensive course is definitely too short to actually learn proper roadcraft, personally I had 30 lessons and passed on my second test :surrender: and I felt pretty confident when I got my first car at 17.

I think more resources should be thrown at driving standards generally though, the established Brit practice of sitting in the outside lanes when there is space inside is diabolical - it's always refreshing to drive on the continent where good driving practice is (generally!) the norm.

Limiting the new driver to low powered cars has it's virtues and I resolutely feel that my personal car history of gradual power increases over time made me a much better driver as you tend to learn car limits in a safer envelope of risk. Back in the days when I had a 1.2 Astra my outloook was different of course and I felt that it was safer driving a higher powered car because it could get you out of trouble better when overtaking etc, but at least it taught me to judge overtakes and I now have a better appreciation of how slower cars interact on the road :)

All pomp and bluster, it'll never happen.

Which is a massive shame, as it's a terrific idea. Well, apart from the not being able to drive at night unless you're going to work or college (because obviously you'll never drive like a knob if you were doing that...), but the rest of it works. Make it 16 not 16.5, and make the power output below a certain level not engine size.

Bring in 10 year re-tests for all drivers too, might actually improve driving standards in this country.

well this is a first, i actually agree with people on here! i also think 10 year retests is the way to go....

but back to the specifics, there are some good and some bad points - like zero tolerance on alcohol is a good idea - if you're a young driver, you dont drink. period. However not being able to travel between 11pm and 4am or take a full car load of people? thats surely taking away one of the key reasons why young people get a car in the first place, so you can get back from late night gigs without relying on public transport or being picked up by your parents! :shrug:

I agree with this. Only 23 myself but it's true you only learn when you've passed.

Almost driving off box hill was my eye opening first drive experience :lol:

Not entirely sure I agree with the night comments though, I used to only go out at night when I first started as the roads were clearer and I could become more comfortable.

The majority of horrendous driving is done by foreigners, old people and women. Not being agist, sexist or racist, but everytime i drive to scotland, the people waving all over the road, braking for no reason and doing 30mph in fast lane, being in the wrong lane for roundabouts and just turning anyway, are in that category.

Why don't they.....

Raise the driving age to 24

Stop these idiots from driving fast ish cars, fit speed restrictions to every car owned by a spotty oik.

If caught drink driving, 5 year ban, if caught driving within this time frame after being banned, the rest if the ban time spent behind bars.

If caught speeding, ban them for the amount over in years, then the above applies.

If involved in accident or cause of, 5 year ban.

All novice drivers fall into categories as new motorcyclists, CC restrictions.

Failing all of the above, 50 cal bullet in head for driving like a loon.

:scare:

Not all people in that age range cannot handle a fast car... :boxing:

Personally I think anyone that weaves on the motorway should have their arms cut off and steering wheel fixed forward.

Christ, half of F1 racing drivers wouldn't be able to drive to the race and back!

Why don't they.....

Stop these idiots from driving fast ish cars, fit speed restrictions to every car owned by a spotty oik.

If caught drink driving, 5 year ban, if caught driving within this time frame after being banned, the rest if the ban time spent behind bars.

If caught speeding, ban them for the amount over in years, then the above applies.

Look out the freedom police are about!!! ;)

Why don't they.....

Missed out 5 year ban for speeding in Hindhead tunnel :stir:

:snack:

Why don't they.....

Missed out 5 year ban for speeding in Hindhead tunnel :stir:

Why don't they.....

Wow - glad I was 17 in the late 60s - no hang on a minute that means I am now old - damn. The thought of some of the things we did in cars then scare me now - but then there is only so much you can do in a Standard 10 :wacko: