Lights blue touch paper & retires to safe distance

glrnet

When you reach 65, Your licence automatically gets revoked...end of...no exceptions. :yahoo:

You mean neither of these fine gentleman would be able to drive a car?

sir_stirling_moss.jpgSir-Jackie-Stewart-001.jpg

Nah just have the compulsory 10 year retest, that would fail most over 65s.

Yep......who are they?

When you reach 65, Your licence automatically gets revoked...end of...no exceptions. :yahoo:

You mean neither of these fine gentleman would be able to drive a car?

sir_stirling_moss.jpgSir-Jackie-Stewart-001.jpg

Nah just have the compulsory 10 year retest, that would fail most over 65s.

Yep......who are they?

:lol::lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Hmmm, not bad article. for the record I'll be 27 soon. And I think it does depend on your attitude and how you see or ..have seen things. I grew up liking cars a lot, my papa worked in an auction place so I got to see loads, watched plenty of TV about it, still have that eager 'need' to have a little play and push on but having a grounded head is a bonus for anyone I think. Not to say I might not get caught speeding but you won't catch me sitting behind you... weeving from side to side in a clapped out vectra with 4 other 'fred perrys' in the passenger seats lol.

Dunno what good a years testing would do if you still see idiots yourself or know driving like lunatics. the retest thing for every one though would do my head in so none of that :scare: lol elderly?... well I think its down to mindset again and personality. I know some friends you may consider 'neds'... or 'chavs' if your down south B) and they drive 'great' so to speak, my papa is elderly (70ish) but he likes his cars so isn't an idiot but isn't a 20mph micra driver either.

Personally its down to the persons mindset, personality I think. Otherwise health is an issue too. But you can look like a t*t or be old and still drive fine. So I don't think constant testing is the answer. A respect for what your doing would be better taught...and what your driving is a tonne plus of metal at speed and if you get it wrong... well.... a persons inbuilt 'stay safe' system should kick in... sometimes though I feel people ignore it too much. lol

God I feel old after that wee rant :p

"Not entirely sure I agree with the night comments though, I used to only go out at night when I first started as the roads were clearer and I could become more comfortable."

I sort of understand where your comming from with that.

I think if your going to have a drink yiou can't drive so it cuts the confussion on how much you can have, plus it effect people diffrently, I can drink a lot more that my brother because i'm taller and a bigger build.

10 year resit - agreed

Pass Plus should be part of the test and cheaper

Don't like the idea of a black box though.

Maybe give set time for old people and learners to be on the road so i not going down a 40mph do 20mph on my way to work or home.

It's probably all academic as self-driving cars are on their way in the next 5 - 10 years -

I believe -

i) they'll never get round to making any of the sensible changes in that time (like 10 year re-tests)

ii) they'll set everything on the self driving cars so you have no choice of speed, or gear, or road position, you'll just have to sit in the thing and never DO ANY DRIVING

iii) people who enjoy their driving will be lobotomised or chemically neutered. Anybody who wants anything other than a 1 litre diesel will be classified as antisocial and sent to be "re-trained" (see George Orwell for details)

Make the most of your Zed driving now, people, we're the last generation who'll enjoy any freedom, and the people who set the speed limits, design all the traffic lights and all the wonderful road networks will take over. Resign yourself to it.

Edited by ianphampton