Gym workout, reviews on pre and post workout

ddcboyle

Just a bit of a different thread, i go through loads of pre workout powders and protein shakes, and now trying different ones to see which get the results, and the pros and cons of them.

Later tonight ill be uploading reviews on

Pre-workout

- Grenade powder

- N.O. xplode

- PhD V-Max Pump

- USN Anabolic nitro-X

Post workout

- Maxi-muscle Progain

- Maxi-muscle Progain Extreme

- Max-Muscle cyclone

- Maxi-Muscle cyclone bars

- Maxi-muscle Promax extreme

All reviews will be my own opinion of it rather than what the tub says. Although i may take it differently to others (i.e. I cant drink protein shakes with water as i feel like im gonna vomit. So i use milk)

Ill update tonight :) feel free to throw in your own opinions and reviews (but please keep to the same format as i will do the write ups like :)

That'll be quite good to know, i've tried a few pre and post workout supplements and i've never found they've worked or made a noticeable difference to me so would be good to know how these fair as i haven't tried them.

Also what do workouts do you do and sets and reps?

Maxi muscle stuff is overpriced rubbish.. Review done :lol:

People forget all the other stuff we need when training and focus on shakes. There is so much more involved.

Kronic pump is my favourite Pre workout just now but like all of them before, I'm upto 4 scoops for a decent hit.

I buy raw egg white, powdered oats etc also from myprotein which is pretty good for stuff.

Best clean protein on the market is kinetica.

My favourite shake is bsn syntha 6 as it tastes awesome and got lots of good energy in it. Can be used for meal replacement also.

Tprice is the man on here for info on anything for body building ;)

This is me after about 10 weeks of training after being away from it for over a year

34B62AE1-841F-4F43-AA6F-2ED1DAA0729F-3238-000003024195A899.jpg

Don't take any pre workout shakes atm so this could be a good to know.

Protein shake i use is Myproteins Soy protein shake, i have a low lactose tolerance so this one suits me fine, cut some cocoa powder for taste and post workout glucose.

I'm a bit of a noob but how would you measure the effect's i'm assuming pre workout shakes you'd test how much fatigue you get etc but what about protein shakes?

I agree that maximuscle is a pile of rubbish. I also think the fitness supplement market is flooded with a lot of rubbish and advertising

I watched a really interesting programme a few months back (think it was Panorama) that ripped apart sports drinks and trainers, research proved that alot of the advertising claims were not actually supported by actual evidence. Which is pretty scary when these claims are the main reason we part with our hard earned cash.

The best part was Graeme Obree- 'the flying Scotsman', former cycling world-record holder and Olympic champion, who said his secret to success was bread (carbs) and jam (sugar) sandwiches, water and balanced diet.

I think alot of the results from taking supplements are physcological, we believe it works, work harder and make the most of the feel-good factor that it adds to the hard slog of training in order to keep fit, get fast and look good!

I am not completely against it as have the odd protein shake (Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard) after a work out when I'm running on empty and can't get to food quick enough. But I am concerned with number of articles that say high protein diets are bad for your kidneys because of the amount of protein they must get rid of.

The perfect recipe is to train hard and eat well :teeth:

My favourite way to get ripped in weeks is with a lot of hard work - Insanity Workout!! Dig deeper :blush:

I pretty much only use Whey protein from Myprotein and that's about it.

I just keep my diet in check. Though i'm naturally a fatty :p

Weighed nearly 125kg about 2 or 3 years ago before training and now weighing about 95kg, still got a ways to go still

A friend was chatting to one of the Scottish National team coaches, his opinion was by far most of the supplements on market are crap and whizzing up a banana in a glass of milk would be more effective

Bit OT but I have done practically no excercise now for 15 years and have piled the weight on, especially since I hit 40. Time to something about it so any advice appreciated.

Get jack3d. It's crazy stuff!

I done my usual weights training and managed to crack out a 10k in under 50minutes, and walked out as if I hadn't even been to the gym.

As has been said to me "If it works, it's illegal"

I agree that maximuscle is a pile of rubbish. I also think the fitness supplement market is flooded with a lot of rubbish and advertising

I watched a really interesting programme a few months back (think it was Panorama) that ripped apart sports drinks and trainers, research proved that alot of the advertising claims were not actually supported by actual evidence. Which is pretty scary when these claims are the main reason we part with our hard earned cash.

The best part was Graeme Obree- 'the flying Scotsman', former cycling world-record holder and Olympic champion, who said his secret to success was bread (carbs) and jam (sugar) sandwiches, water and balanced diet.

I think alot of the results from taking supplements are physcological, we believe it works, work harder and make the most of the feel-good factor that it adds to the hard slog of training in order to keep fit, get fast and look good!

I am not completely against it as have the odd protein shake (Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard) after a work out when I'm running on empty and can't get to food quick enough. But I am concerned with number of articles that say high protein diets are bad for your kidneys because of the amount of protein they must get rid of.

My favourite way to get ripped in weeks is with a lot of hard work - Insanity Workout!! Dig deeper :blush:

This is spot on but there is also lots of good supplements with slow release protein for night time instead of the cottage cheese before bed route.

Oh also

:worthless:

This is spot on but there is also lots of good supplements with slow release protein for night time instead of the cottage cheese before bed route.

Oh also

I don’t want to inflict the horror of anyone seeing me after one of those workouts! :yuck:

Oh also

I don’t want to inflict the horror of anyone seeing me after one of those workouts! :yuck:

No pics no proof :lol:

Alot of people are for and against pre/post workout stuff. My opinion is that some work, others are a waste of money and the rest work but rip you off with the price.

I never have energy for gym after work so i smash back a preworkout just to get in the mood. Post workouts work for me as i got uber-fast metabolism and small stomach, so its medium meals 3-5 times a day. so i cant eat 42eggs with 80 slices of wholemeal, shake makes it easier to get all the protein in before i get full.

I've tried lots of stuff over the years:

Mono - awful stuff and dirt cheap for a reason - use Kre alkalyn if possible

B-Alanine - nasty tingling effect and not sure if it really works that well. Mixed results here.

BCAA - never had any gains on this very expensive stuff

Omega 3 - take about 5 grams a day on top of a fish and egg-heavy diet. Good for your skin if nothing else!

ZMA - take 1-2 grams a day. best taken at night for some freaky dreaming.

5HTP - find this suppresses my appetite somewhat but your body gets used to it and doses need increasing after a few weeks

Caffeine - simply don't like this stuff. Not a good idea to take 200g pills in one hit - simply too strong.

Fenugreek/Aspartic acid - waste of money, no gains.

Casein / Whey - try to get unsweetened stuff if you can. I have moved back to whey after casein proved a bit too bloating on its own. Can take years for your gut to handle the methane issue!

NO boosters - never had any decent effect from stuff like AAKG

Probiotics - expensive but I might start taking these again.

I think you should remember that protein shakes are tools for use in specific circumstances when REAL FOOD isn't available or is inconvenient to obtain. I personally don't believe that something as synthetic and heavy processed as whey is going to be better for me that eating a couple of boiled eggs post-workout. Incidentally, have any of you guys noticed improved NO/vascularity by eating eggs pre-workout? I find they give me a decent NO boost - certainly better than any forumla I've tried.

As for the supplements I rate, the most effective one is Kre-Alkalyn without a doubt. Whilst it may seem expensive, you only need to take 1/3rd as much relative to mono or CEE to have the same effect. It's easy on the stomach, doesn't need to be cycled and is less likely to break down into creatinine.

That being said, many supps generally have a marginal effect on performance. The best performance boost you can get is eight hours of intense sleep the night before.

DT

I think this comes into the same kind of discussion as what work outs are best.

people react to things differently. I use my shakes if I can get to the food and as part of a healthy balanced diet. I also have quite a high metabolism so I have to eat quite a bit to but on weight.

To add another thing what do people train? Are we all heavy weight trains or are there body weight and crossfit people here to?

I do a mixture of all 3 do some squats deads for the big lifts but also do lots of push ups pull ups and some crossfit stuff.

Bit about my workouts before i post up the results ive had.

Im 6ft 3, average weight of 82kg, naturally toned upper body, always have top 4 of pack showing without tensing. Main things I do are upper body heavy weights or pyramids to try and boost my size rather than toning up more. Current aim by christmas is to get to 90kg. Now 23, since i joined forces when i was 18, i've stuck at 82kg wether its been training on ops or training here. Main aims are to increase arm size, pex, and neck area. On last tour i started N.O.Xplode and Maxi-muscle cyclone for 4months. Went from benchpressing 5 reps of 50kg at start of tour (bar 20kg, 15kg either side) to doing 5 reps of 100 kg (20kg bar, 40kg either side).

My bodysize doesnt put on any fat other than a little bit on lower 2pack area of stomach, I tone fast, but takes a while to gain size. If i stop training for 2 weeks, i then lose all the work ive done. Some of the workouts i do have to encorporate things to keep my fit for my job, so i cant really look like a human traingle otherwise i cant carry the weight we do on ops for long periods.

Obviously everyones body works differently and things that work for others may not work for you. Ive tried various different workouts but havnt had any effect, so ive mixed and matched bits i know work. Diet is again, as everyone points out, a big part of either getting bigger or losing weight. But when your cooking is as shocking as mine, sorta limits you, along with stupid job hours. My intake is roughly 3,000-3,500 a day. majoritly white meat and shakes. But will be starting high egg and red meat diet next month.

PRE WORKOUT

2012-10-03162432.jpg

Name: USN Anabolic Nitro X

Cost (i dont shop around): £28

Flavour: Power Berry

Taste: Easier to drink than Phd, looks likes battery acid though (goes purple with blue froth). Isnt tastey but its acceptable for a pre-workout drink

Impact on body: Same effects as Phd, It gave a bit more "get up and go", but once i got into the gym, it didnt seem like i had any extra energy to keep pushing

Rating: 2/5

Length of usage: 2 weeks

------------------------------------------------------

2012-10-03162444.jpg

Name:PhD V-Max Pump

Cost (i dont shop around): 25

Flavour: Orange Crush

Taste: Its drinkable without cringing, has a taste like lucozade, but double the dose. It recommends 2 scoops (20g) with 250ml of water, but i had to double

the water amount or it was like taking a hit of orange vodka.

Impact on body: I became more "up for the gym", but never gave me any excess energy for the gym that i wouldnt have already had by forcing myself to walk to the gym.

Rating: 2/5, Taste is bearable, but not enough energy output

Length of usage: 2 weeks

----------------------------------------

Name: N.O Xplode

Cost (i dont shop around): £30

Flavour: Berry

Taste: Suprisingly good. Could drink the shake without needing any extra water, tasted more like a powerade style than a disgusting "down it" pre workout. Could happily drink it.

Impact on body: The extra energy took a while to come in, it says 20-30minutes, but took about 35-45 for me, but once it hit, it really hit. Lots more energy, feel more up for adding extra weight and pushing yourself for it.

Rating: 5/5, No problems, will be going back to N.O after ive finished the rest of Pre-W/O stuff

Length of usage: Initially 1 month, switched, then switched back for 6months, continously had extra energy and only went up an extra scoop of powder to get more hit.

-------------------------------

2012-10-03162617.jpg

Name: Grenade 50. Calibre PRe workout devastation

Cost (i dont shop around): £49

Flavour: Berry Blast

Taste: Absolutely disgusting. I hated drinking it and had to force myself to drink it, constantly having a sip of fresh water afterwards. The powder doesnt break down enough, so your left with little granuals of the powder in your mouth, and then after licking lips you get another disgusting taste.

Impact on body: A bit more of an impact than N.O. Xplode, It worked faster, felt it kick in about 20minutes, and felt like i could do more, adding extra weight and still managing to hit the targets. Although after you finish, You start to get the shakes, hands vibrating, still having so much energy but not being able to do any more physically.

Rating: 4/5, Works dramatically, but I just couldnt bear the taste anymore, it was disgusting. The shakes also brings it down a score

Length of usage: 1month

POST WORKOUT

2012-10-03162459.jpg

Name: MaxiMuscle Progain

Cost (i dont shop around): £45

Flavour: Vanilla/Banana/Chocolate/Strawberry (Vanilla is prefered)

Taste: Nice to taste, Need to shake it for about 45 days to get rid of lumps, but easy to drink, bloated feeling afterwards and lose apetite so best taking when feeling peckish rather than during or near meal times

Impact on body: Body slowly getting bigger, partly due to normal growth but most due to protein. Too heavy to drink before or after dinner, so having to take inbetween meals. No impact on weight, but most likely due to stripping fat and replacing with muscle

Rating: 4/5, It works, but doesnt give an obvious improvement

Length of usage: 2 months

-------------------------

2012-10-03162512.jpg

Name: Maxi Muscle PROGAIN

Cost (i dont shop around): £45

Flavour: Strawberry

Taste: Its not that nice to drink, I only tried with milk though, Theres an obvious difference between PG extreme and PG. You can taste that extra creatine. Still drinkable, but not something youd want to drink while chilling out.

Impact on body: No recognisable impact, Never went up enough weight to justify that the PG extreme was the reason for it, had 20g less protein than the standard PG

Rating: 1/5, Not nice to drink, never recognised an impact on body, and overpriced for a tiny tub

Length of usage: 2 months

---------------------------

2012-10-03162631.jpg

Name: Maxi Muscle PROMAX extreme

Cost (i dont shop around): £40

Flavour: Chocolate

Taste: Only tried chocolate, but it has similar taste to Progain extreme, not nice to drink but acceptable for what it is. Obvious taste of creatine

Impact on body: No impact seen.

Rating: 1/5, doesnt taste nice enough to just quickly grab as snack, and has no noticible effects

Length of usage: 1 month

---------------------------

Name: Maxi Muscle Cyclone

Cost (i dont shop around): £40

Flavour: Vanilla

Taste: Descent taste, Roughly the same as Progain but not as heavy, more of a thinner texture. Drinkable as a snack

Impact on body: Definetly ripped up more, nothing noticible about weight change, muscle size never increased, just became more defined

Rating: 4/5, Good for toning, but no change to muscle size (If you are naturally a good size but just need toning, this is suitible, except the price)

Length of usage: 4 months

-------------------------

Name: Maxi Muscle Cyclone bars (Flapjack)

Cost (i dont shop around): £1.80-2.20 a bar

Flavour: Chocolate

Taste: Its like getting a normal chocolate flapjack, and just throwing cyclone powder inside it, you can taste all the protein and is like eating a flapjack with sand as the main ingredient. Taste is very rich and a bit too much to finish a small bar.

Impact on body: Worked roughly the same as the Maximuscle cyclone powder, but took it as a snack, roughly 2 a day, but eventually couldnt keep accepting that horrid texture. began toning up and switched back to powder.

Rating: 3/5, it makes an impact, but its disgusting. Better and cheaper to take the powder if you are looking for maximuscle. But definetly a rip off for a bar.

Length of usage: 1 month

Nice reviews.

I've been through quite some different supplements.

I think I have fairly average genetics. It's not impossible for me to gain muscle, but it's not that easy either.

In terms of protein shakes, the best tasting one is probably BSN Synth-6, but the cleanest, best and one of the more expensive ones which has 0 carbs, 0 fats is Dymatize iso-100!! - This is an amazing protein and has 25g protein per serving with no fillers. If you take 2 scoops post workout then that's 50g without doing anything else.

___

I echo that there are crappy supplements out there, but I feel if you're serious about body building and / or getting in shape then you must supplement. It's very difficult to get 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight from natural nutrition.

In terms of pre-workouts, I have used both Assault and Jack3d. Both are fantastic... but I reckon Jack3d has the edge. The new stuff they're selling comes without the beta-alanine stuff so hopefully your heart won't explode! LOL :lol:

Nice reviews.

I think I have fairly average genetics. It's not impossible for me to gain muscle, but it's not that easy either.

In terms of protein shakes, the best tasting one is probably BSN Synth-6, but the cleanest, best and one of the more expensive ones which has 0 carbs, 0 fats is Dymatize iso-100!! - This is an amazing protein and has 25g protein per serving. If you take 2 scoops post workout then that's 50g without doing anything else.

___

I echo that there are crappy supplements out there, but I feel if you're serious about body building and / or getting in shape then you must supplement. It's very difficult to get 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight from natural nutrition.

In terms of pre-workouts, I have used both Assault and Jack3d. Both are fantastic... but I reckon Jack3d has the edge. The new stuff they're selling comes without the beta-alanine stuff so hopefully your heart won't explode! LOL :lol:

I need to start looking into different post workout stuff as maximuscle works but the price you pay just aint justifiable when theres other things out there that work, same price, but triple size tub.

Isnt jack3d the one that u shake like mad after taking it? lol

Nice reviews.

In terms of protein shakes, the best tasting one is probably BSN Synth-6, but the cleanest, best and one of the more expensive ones which has 0 carbs, 0 fats is Dymatize iso-100!! - This is an amazing protein and has 25g protein per serving. If you take 2 scoops post workout then that's 50g without doing anything else.

___

I need to start looking into different post workout stuff as maximuscle works but the price you pay just aint justifiable when theres other things out there that work, same price, but triple size tub.

Isnt jack3d the one that u shake like mad after taking it? lol

Yeah man.. It's crazy... not sure how it's legal.

I once took an OD of Jack3d and got Parathesis for a few hours! LOL... I only took the OD because I wanted to finish the tub... it's crazy... but really gets you moving!!!