Squeaking drivers chair

Will370z

Rosies developed a rather annoying intermittent squeak when theres any vertical movement in the car, small bumps or dips etc. its driving me up the wall. Its inconsistent too, somedays fine others quite regular.

Im pretty sure i can track it to somewhere in the chair, im not a big lardy bloke btw so its not me.

Theres nothing loose or rubing in the boot and if i bounce the suspension up and down theres no noise from the outside but if i bounce up and down on the chair like an idiot i can just replicate the noise.

Anyone else noticed this in their 370? Just wondering where to start to look for the dam source. Its going in for a service this month so ill get them to hunt it down. Its not a biggy but im a little ocd with noises and rattles in a car and up to now rosie has been fine.....

Rosies developed a rather annoying intermittent squeak when theres any vertical movement in the car, small bumps or dips etc. its driving me up the wall. Its inconsistent too, somedays fine others quite regular.

Im pretty sure i can track it to somewhere in the chair, im not a big lardy bloke btw so its not me.

Theres nothing loose or rubing in the boot and if i bounce the suspension up and down theres no noise from the outside but if i bounce up and down on the chair like an idiot i can just replicate the noise.

Anyone else noticed this in their 370? Just wondering where to start to look for the dam source. Its going in for a service this month so ill get them to hunt it down. Its not a biggy but im a little ocd with noises and rattles in a car and up to now rosie has been fine.....

Install a ..... Cat :lol:

Had the same problem with GTR seats, used "clear grease" spray on seat frame which is thicker then WD40 and it sorted out the noise.

Ah thanks for the response - much appreciated and welcome to the forum.

It sounds like its coming from the bottom part of the seat so that should definitely help. i will try to get hold of some.

Stupid question but most of the seat underneath seems sealed via material, did you just spray up and under?

I may be off the mark here but I had a noise on my Audi similar to this, it was driving me up the wall, I have OCD when it comes to car noises. Anyway it turned out to be the hinges at either side of the seat (pivotal point for seat pan and back), I sprayed WD40 up in to either side of the seat and the noise was gone :D

Had the same problem with GTR seats, used "clear grease" spray on seat frame which is thicker then WD40 and it sorted out the noise.

Ah thanks for the response - much appreciated and welcome to the forum.

It sounds like its coming from the bottom part of the seat so that should definitely help. i will try to get hold of some.

Stupid question but most of the seat underneath seems sealed via material, did you just spray up and under?

Just try to spray to the contact points where the seat frame moving forwards and backwards. If you are unlucky the noise is coming from the frame itself then you might need to remove the seat (only disconnect the Air-bag harnesses with ignition off !!!) then remove the covers to get to the inner parts of the frame. (If are not far away from me I could do it for you at free of charge as it's only takes a few min.)

Thanks for the tips guys, i will try and give that a go otherwise i may be making the trip over to see you kaizer.

Good excuse to go and see how darren is getting on with his supercharged zed :teeth:

I know what you mean about ocd with noises inside the car geoff. I Sold 2 cars in the past because the squeaks and rattles drove me up the wall.

I've got the same problem intermittently.

I think it's coming from the driver's seat seatbelt mechanism where it's mounted at the top; at least that's what it sounds like. I'm going to try lubing it with WD40 and we'll see what happens.

At the moment, turning the hi-fi way up drowns it out :band:

Will:

I get this if the seatback touches the belt holder and/or the rear bulkhead area - like others have said above ^^^^. I seem to remember you mentioning this issue to me a while back - did you try moving the seatback forward, just slightly? Or maybe just trying putting something soft behind the seatback before re-setting it to your preferred position?

Although I do appreciate that with you topping 6' 7" space is, er, tight :lol:

Will:

I get this if the seatback touches the belt holder and/or the rear bulkhead area - like others have said above ^^^^. I seem to remember you mentioning this issue to me a while back - did you try moving the seatback forward, just slightly? Or maybe just trying putting something soft behind the seatback before re-setting it to your preferred position?

Will drives with his nose on the steering wheel :lol: When I had a drive of Rosie I had to put the seat back quite a bit :scare:

Haha i cant help being a giant :teeth:

Dont think its the seat rubbing the back of the car as i always have it forward to avoid that and it seems to squeek regardless of how far forward or back the seat is. Sounds like its coming from the springs / support with the bottom of the seat.

Will:

Will drives with his nose on the steering wheel :lol: When I had a drive of Rosie I had to put the seat back quite a bit :scare:

I think that might have been me - not quite sure how you'd mix the 2 of us up though :shrug: