MightyCarMods take on ELECTRIC SUPERCHARGERS

BulletMagnet

But honestly, I think Marty and Moog are brilliant, check out their two part vid where they buy an old Toyota Cressida and swap out the engine for a 1JZ, then take it to a drag strip and beat a Ford Falcon by quite a bit

+1

Been watching them for ages, Check out the hour long episode where they went to Japan & also the episode where they bought a car in Japan :thumbs:

I have new heroes, sorry Keyser :lol:

O I'm just getting warmed up mate - got a few ideas to get you back on side - and I bet you don't have an open invite to drop in on them anytime your passing :lol:

Must put that electric SC I bought back up for sale now though, thought it would reduce my spool time and get me to the big 500 but they seem to think its a waste of time :(

:lol:

If a someone made a supercharger and the power was supplied via electric to an electric motor which spun the supercharger ( rpm dependent) then surely that would work? Why do they not do this e.g. too much electric needed or another reason. Surely they must be getting more efficient as power steering is now electric? Or are we still way off. :lol:

If a someone made a supercharger and the power was supplied via electric to an electric motor which spun the supercharger ( rpm dependent) then surely that would work? Why do they not do this e.g. too much electric needed or another reason. Surely they must be getting more efficient as power steering is now electric? Or are we still way off. :lol:

In theory yes it would work, but you're adding another link into the chain which would reduce efficiency. Normally the SC gets spun by the engine, which causes parasitic power losses. If the SC was spun by the electrical system, you'd have the engine spinning an alternator which was charging a battery which was spinning the SC. Alternators aren't that efficient so you'd introduce something else that wastes engine power as well as the SC which still needs the same amount of power to run it but through a more wasteful power-train. The bigger problem however, is that compressing air to any reasonable level requires far more juice than the standard 12v system in your average car could ever provide, so you'd need a dedicated high-spec electrical system powered by the engine to run the SC, and now we're getting silly.

DB

You'd be surprised. I think it's John Deere who hold the patent for spinning a turbine-generator in the exhaust gas flow from a turbo-diesel engine to charge a lithium-ion power pack that powers a 3-phase (i.e. brushless) supercharger. The old boy helped them write the patents and designed some of the control circuitry iirc.