Letting the Mrs drive the Zed

smudgedon

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She would have been better in the zed then, can't start it without the clutch being down :stir:

:lol: I'll give you that one

But once the car had started, would she have lifted the clutch and hit the wall? Depends if she would of checked what gear the car was in before lifted the clutch.

Yep, definitely a no no! Although if she'd have been in the zed, there would have been two calls.... one - 'how do you start the car?' and then swiftly followed by 'i've driven your car into a wall'

The Mrs has her own car, a little diesel corsa which is great for zipping round town and returns great mpg on long runs. Nothing wrong with it whatsoever

However, understandably she loves the chance to drive the Zed which I finally let her do the other week when I had a few too many drinks at a friends. I'm very protective over my cars and she is the 1st person that I've ever let drive my car except for garages obviously

She did ok but didn't thrill me with confidence. So I said she can drive it in emergencies or if I want a drink which she happily agreed to

I'm now away for a few days and she's going up to Bedford (100mile drive each way) to see her family. I get a text saying "can I take your car?". My reply is no because I'm not there and it'd be cheaper to do the 200miles in her diesel car. So now shes got the huff with me....

She's on my insurance as a named driver, purely because she brings the premium down by several hundred pounds a year!

What are your thoughts?

Women for you i agree with your principle :)

The Mrs has her own car, a little diesel corsa which is great for zipping round town and returns great mpg on long runs. Nothing wrong with it whatsoever

However, understandably she loves the chance to drive the Zed which I finally let her do the other week when I had a few too many drinks at a friends. I'm very protective over my cars and she is the 1st person that I've ever let drive my car except for garages obviously

She did ok but didn't thrill me with confidence. So I said she can drive it in emergencies or if I want a drink which she happily agreed to

I'm now away for a few days and she's going up to Bedford (100mile drive each way) to see her family. I get a text saying "can I take your car?". My reply is no because I'm not there and it'd be cheaper to do the 200miles in her diesel car. So now shes got the huff with me....

She's on my insurance as a named driver, purely because she brings the premium down by several hundred pounds a year!

What are your thoughts?

As i said before its not the fact shes a woman, i wouldnt let my best mate drive the zed

What are your thoughts?

As i said before its not the fact shes a woman, i wouldnt let my best mate drive the zed

I'm now finding it rather difficult to understand why you asked for our thoughts then :)

The only complication here is she is your girlfriend, but I would have thought if you'd been with her 3 years you could just tell her this?

+1 - instead of broadcasting it to a load of zed geeks that don't even know her :bangin:

Her being my gf doesnt change it. Ive told her no anyway it was just a thread to gain some opinions and spark a discussion

Wow, is it 1952 here in this thread?????

Smudge, I know your young but you obviously don't understand women yet.

If my wife asked to borrow my car, whatever it was, to go see friends/family, I would.

I'd be concerned, but I'd let her do it.

Before she asked you she probably thought she had a great BF, with a nice car, doing well for himself at a young age. She obviously sees your car as something to aspire to and couldn't wait to drive it up and show it (and subsequently you) off to her friends/family. If it all goes well, your well in the good books with her friends, family but most importantly HER.

Now she thinks that your tighter than a mouses ear for quibbling over £40 of petrol, who's paranoid over an 8 year old Nissan which is probably not worth a great deal more than her car. She probably thinks your more in love with the car than her. She also rants to her mates about it who also think your a chump. Now, as a woman, she starts to think about the future ( :wacko: ); if he's like this now what will he be like when we are married?? Is this the sort of person I want to be with??

My Mrs (she wasn't my wife at the time) begged me to let her take my Gallardo over to a friends to take her out for lunch as a surprise. Did I want to let her? No. Did I yes. Because when she came back from wafting around birmingham with her mate, she was over the moon, as was her mate who still goes on about it now. After a quick check over the car, I was suitably rewarded for my trust ;)

Or, your fears could be well placed, and no sooner than she gets it off the driveway, the heavens open and shes faces with a 200 mile round trip in the pouring rain, having only driven her boyfriends near-300bhp car once before. Consequently, having only driven a diesel corsa with less power than a hairdryer, she plants the throttle to feel the power a bit coming off a greasy roundabout... back starts to slide, and all a tizzy, she winds on too much opposite lock to correct it, having next to no experience with rwd cars... however, tcs kicks in and catches the slide, but still with lots of opposite lock on, she careers onto the other side of the road, where she ramps the kerb or hits another car.

Subsequently you're faced with massive insurance premiums for the next 10 years, your girlfriend is now scared of your car, and to top it off, shes not very happy with you for letting her out in it.

Two questions from me - how old is your girlfriend and how many years has she been driving? i think the mixed opinions are coming from those with 20 something girlfriends with a couple of years driving experience, and 40 something wives with 20 years driving experience, the difference is huge. If your girlfriend shows any poor driving in her car (speeding, poor clutch control, sloppy gearchanges, on/off throttle) these will be magnified in your car.

How long have you got before the weekend in question? if you're really considering letting her borrow it, then get her out in it as much as possible beforehand - seriously the second time of driving a car you would not be used to the controls even slightly. took me a couple of weeks to really get used to the clutch. And even then i'd still keep the veto that if its forecast to rain, she isnt going near it.

Not only that:

What about if she careers into a coach full of Nobel Prizewinners who happen to be on a day out with Bill Gates and his whole family and the coach is towing a Bugatti Veyron and an aircraft pilot who witnesses the scene whilst taking off from a nearby airport loses concentration and crashes into the main town centre. Then where would we all be?

Or, your fears could be well placed, and no sooner than she gets it off the driveway, the heavens open and shes faces with a 200 mile round trip in the pouring rain, having only driven her boyfriends near-300bhp car once before. Consequently, having only driven a diesel corsa with less power than a hairdryer, she plants the throttle to feel the power a bit coming off a greasy roundabout... back starts to slide, and all a tizzy, she winds on too much opposite lock to correct it, having next to no experience with rwd cars... however, tcs kicks in and catches the slide, but still with lots of opposite lock on, she careers onto the other side of the road, where she ramps the kerb or hits another car.

Subsequently you're faced with massive insurance premiums for the next 10 years, your girlfriend is now scared of your car, and to top it off, shes not very happy with you for letting her out in it.

Two questions from me - how old is your girlfriend and how many years has she been driving? i think the mixed opinions are coming from those with 20 something girlfriends with a couple of years driving experience, and 40 something wives with 20 years driving experience, the difference is huge. If your girlfriend shows any poor driving in her car (speeding, poor clutch control, sloppy gearchanges, on/off throttle) these will be magnified in your car.

Perhaps one of the stupidest posts ever posted on here.

Wow, is it 1952 here in this thread?????

Smudge, I know your young but you obviously don't understand women yet.

If my wife asked to borrow my car, whatever it was, to go see friends/family, I would.

I'd be concerned, but I'd let her do it.

Before she asked you she probably thought she had a great BF, with a nice car, doing well for himself at a young age. She obviously sees your car as something to aspire to and couldn't wait to drive it up and show it (and subsequently you) off to her friends/family. If it all goes well, your well in the good books with her friends, family but most importantly HER.

Now she thinks that your tighter than a mouses ear for quibbling over £40 of petrol, who's paranoid over an 8 year old Nissan which is probably not worth a great deal more than her car. She probably thinks your more in love with the car than her. She also rants to her mates about it who also think your a chump. Now, as a woman, she starts to think about the future ( :wacko: ); if he's like this now what will he be like when we are married?? Is this the sort of person I want to be with??

My Mrs (she wasn't my wife at the time) begged me to let her take my Gallardo over to a friends to take her out for lunch as a surprise. Did I want to let her? No. Did I yes. Because when she came back from wafting around birmingham with her mate, she was over the moon, as was her mate who still goes on about it now. After a quick check over the car, I was suitably rewarded for my trust ;)

SPOT ON SARNIE :thumbs:

Gotta love a good thread that sparks debate ;)

FYI the Mrs is 23 and has been driving 3 years. In that time she's had various bumps, 1 accident that was her fault and a TS10 (going through a red light)

I trust her driving in the corsa but she often does silly things like undertake people, not enough observation at junctions and she's god awful at parking. (DISCLAIMER - NOT ALL WOMEN ARE BAD AT PARKING, BUT THIS ONE IS)

I'm back from my travels now anyway so the time has gone. No doubt she'll ask to drive it again and I'll let her on a fairly empty road with me as a passenger. The whole issue was with her doing a 200mile trip on her own with me out of the country. No way I could have helped or made sure she and the unfamiliar car to her was ok

Gotta love a good thread that sparks debate ;)

FYI the Mrs is 23 and has been driving 3 years. In that time she's had various bumps, 1 accident that was her fault and a TS10 (going through a red light)

I trust her driving in the corsa but she often does silly things like undertake people, not enough observation at junctions and she's god awful at parking. (DISCLAIMER - NOT ALL WOMEN ARE BAD AT PARKING, BUT THIS ONE IS)

I'm back from my travels now anyway so the time has gone. No doubt she'll ask to drive it again and I'll let her on a fairly empty road with me as a passenger. The whole issue was with her doing a 200mile trip on her own with me out of the country. No way I could have helped or made sure she and the unfamiliar car to her was ok

Is that because it is not your car / not paying for it............ or your petrol :lol::blush:

Not only that:

What about if she careers into a coach full of Nobel Prizewinners who happen to be on a day out with Bill Gates and his whole family and the coach is towing a Bugatti Veyron and an aircraft pilot who witnesses the scene whilst taking off from a nearby airport loses concentration and crashes into the main town centre. Then where would we all be?

:lol: And you tell that to the youngsters of today and they won't believe you ;)