Going backwards

Ekona

Anyone here ever owned a car, sold it, then a few years later bought the same model again? Any regrets in doing so, or downsides to it, or anything negative at all? Are you glad you went back because you regretted the initial sale, or did you just find comfort in what was familiar? Any regrets about not trying something different instead?

Any thoughts on the matter appreciated. :)

I'm on my third 350z, I just find sometimes i fancy a change for something totally different so end up swapping then I start to miss what I loved about the 350z and ended up getting another one. I am a nightmare when it comes to keeping cars but I do get so much enjoyment out of themI think sod it. :lol:

I did with a Civic Type R too, had 2 of those and enjoyed them both.

I've enjoyed every car i've owned, just different reasons for each and each car suited my current situation at the time. Certainly no regrets and when I told people I was getting another 350z they all thought it was daft to buy a car you've already owned but Im loving my 3rd Zed just as much as my 1st.

We got rid of an MR2 a few years ago and bought another one last year, no regrets at all and in fact what Id learnt from the first helped me get a better one next time round. Bought a GTI-6, then bought another one, again knowledge from the first helped me get a better deal on the second, did the same with a couple of Nissan Silvias too and 200SX's as well and never regretted, I think the key is to buy a better one second time round. :thumbs:

its the same with women, never go back, you got shot for a reason, and the same reasons will still be there.

Not always true, it depends on the circumstances. We are looking at dropping the Zed as it doesnt get used due to me and the missus car sharing, the fact I dont have parking at work, and the fact that when we would use the Zed on weekends we want to go riding. If we did let it go, I'd have no problems coming back to it when we have a triple garage and the money to keep it as a Sunday and/or run it as a daily driver again. Horses for courses and all that.

its the same with women, never go back, you got shot for a reason, and the same reasons will still be there.

my cousin did that - got divorced, then re-married the same woman about 5 years later - 20 years down the line still together....go figure ??

getting shot of the Porker for another 350 / 370?

Potentially. I'm looking at moving the 911 on so I can accelerate my house move, but I'm unsure as to whether I'd want to replace the 911 with something cheaper (bearing in mind I still have the MX5 to play with and use of the STi) or just not bother.

See, I sold the Zed because I fancied a change and could get into my dream car, not because I was bored of it. There's no downside to the car that puts me off, unlike something like the VXR which I'm glad I did but wouldn't go back to.

There's a few cars on the list at around £10k-£15K that tick the boxes, and the Zed is firmly there. Coupe over ragtop this time though. The black HR that was on sale here the other day would be perfect for me.

Its not the same as women, you dont sack a bird off because you need to move house, or have run out of parking or need rear seats (not quite sure how that one works) :lol:

If circumstance made you give up the car (like our first MR2) then I think going back can be a good experience :thumbs:

if you liked it before there's no reason to not go back,

when it comes to cars i'm like a kid in the sweet shop, i want to try everything, i wouldn't stick with a sherbert dibdab everytime i'd want to try them all. :blush: and for that reason i don;t tend to get the same car twice, only had 1 manufacturer i've bought twice and that was honda.

while we're on food analogies, when ever i order takeaway i always have the same dish :blush: so i suppse there is comofrt in what you know, and no worry of disappointment if you got something and then found you didn;t like it.

zeds not a bad car, its a great all rounder keep it on your list

i'm intrigued to know what else is on your list and also where you looking at moving too? you coming to join me in suffolk? :lol:

I've got 10 fingers and 10 toes and none of them are webbed, I don't qualify for Suffolk :p:lol: Probably stay pretty local to where we are now, easy for both myself and Jo for commuting.

Tbh the only other thing I'm seriously considering is a TVR of some kind, probably a Chim. I've ruled most other stuff out because of either potential big bills or just not interesting enough, which leaves an earlier Porker or E46 M3 on the cutting room floor. It's not a definite I'll replace the car with anything yet, but it's always nice to plan ahead. :) The Zed just ticks so many boxes and it's a car I know so very well, but whether I'd want to do it again or not is a different story.

TVR :thumbs:B) Was behind a Chimera on the Euro Tunnel coming back from France, got chatting to the guy and he used to own a 350z, said he wouldn't go back to a Zed as the TVR was so "different" overall, guess you need to drive some TVR's if you haven't already :)

• 3 weeks later...

Decision made.

Once the 911 sells, I'm getting a Zed. The more I think about it, the more I want one again.

Ha, if I hadn't bought the E type we could have done a PX deal :lol:

Seriously though, putting a house purchase before having large amounts tied up in cars is always the best option. you won't regret it. Did the same myself, nearly twenty years later can just afford what I want again!

Now there's a question! I don't think I want a ragtop again, as although I really enjoyed my time with mine I'd constantly be comparing it, and it would never be as good regardless of what I did to it. I did find the coupe a tad dull though, not in terms of the drive which was superior to the roadster, but the amount of noise and feel transferred from the drivetrain to the interior.

Also, the roadster is butt-ugly with the roof up. :stir::lol:

I think a decent HR in black or orange would be good, leave it on the Rays and do the intake, exhaust and XYZ pipe, along with some serious brakes and the ARBs. May even do the dampers and springs this time round too. The big task I really want to do is the interior, and specifically the centre console finish and the seat covering. Starting to look through the for sale section on parts now, see if there's any bargains I can grab while the going is good.

Now there's a question! I don't think I want a ragtop again, as although I really enjoyed my time with mine I'd constantly be comparing it, and it would never be as good regardless of what I did to it. I did find the coupe a tad dull though, not in terms of the drive which was superior to the roadster, but the amount of noise and feel transferred from the drivetrain to the interior.

Also, the roadster is butt-ugly with the roof up. :stir::lol:

I think a decent HR in black or orange would be good, leave it on the Rays and do the intake, exhaust and XYZ pipe, along with some serious brakes and the ARBs. May even do the dampers and springs this time round too. The big task I really want to do is the interior, and specifically the centre console finish and the seat covering. Starting to look through the for sale section on parts now, see if there's any bargains I can grab while the going is good.

Given that you can now pick up a Zed for A TENTH of the price of your current car, they do represent tremendous value for money. Its that aspect that makes me think I should keep mine.

Tbh the only other thing I'm seriously considering is a TVR of some kind, probably a Chim. I've ruled most other stuff out because of either potential big bills

TVR potential small bills?????? If it is then its the first one I've heard of! Bloody moneypitastic!

Arousing beyond anything else though.

Get an £800 Alfa.......it'll change your life I promise! ;)

Small bills is all relative I guess, I was looking at replacing the outriggers if they go and even then it's only £3K or so to get it all done properly. But yeah, the Zed will be remarkably less than that if anything does go pop. Hopefully! :lol:

I suspect an £800 Alfa will indeed change my life, but I've already got one shed and don't think I need another ;)

Decision made.

Once the 911 sells, I'm getting a Zed. The more I think about it, the more I want one again.

Your journey seems remarkably similar to mine.

I bought two zeds in the space of nine months and was so smitten with them that I honestly thought I'd never sell up. My dream was always a Lambo however, and when the opportunity came along I had to do it. At the time I was late 20's, unmarried and no kids.

However the onset of the credit crunch mean't that having all my money tied up in a car made zero sense at all. Then I got married. Then I had a kid. Then I had another and now I can't get the Mrs back to work!!! :lol:

Like you, I'm also considering getting back into a zed, probably more as a hobby rather than anything else as I work from home so don't actually need a car at all. I just want something clean, drive to football in and buy mods for that I never bother to fit and flog on here for half what i paid for them like I used to :lol: