'you've been in an accident' phonecalls

marzman

Does anyone else get calls from claims companies saying they have details that you've had a car accident recently?

I've had 2 of these calls recently, and they dont appear to be cold calls, as they say they have had my details passed onto them that i've been in an accident, which i haven't.

I asked them for clarification on what details they have got, but they just said they dont have specifics other than i've been in an accident.

Does anyone know if there's a free online register where i can check my car registrations to see if any accidents have been logged against my reg (i.e. if my car's been cloned?)

I started getting them 3 years after I was a passenger in an accident. They just want to get you compensation and then take 80% of it.

I normally told them to get stuffed and take my name off their database...... which was obviously very old :bang:

I got heaps. One day I let them do their thing. They knew all about my accident (crashtra) so I let them give me an estimate for my damages..... I said I wasn't injured but the guys said I'd still be entitled. Let him go on and on. I then told him I was standing beside the car and I wasn't in it.

Never received another call from any company!

I often think that just by answering these and other similar calls, you are confirming that your phone number is live and will probably be sold on to other similar organisations. I can't count the ones that I have received, and continue to receive, about PPI, although I haven't borrowed any money for well over 30 years.

Steve

Did you get no one there calls 1st?

acording to telephone preferance Service they have a fax machine that randomly calls numbers and when ever one gets answered it gets logged and the time it was answered.

They then believe this to be the most appropriate time to call of the day to speak to someone.

Like the panarama programme said, if you register your phone number with the telephone preference service they are not allowed by law to cold call.

I have a device called call blocker on my landline. This is a voice recording that tells the caller that they cannot continue with the call unless they know me personnaly. It cuts off autominated calls dead. I also have and a App called "Blacklist" on the jail broken iPhone.

I can add withheld or private/ not known numbers to the blacklist.

So now I finally don't get bothered.

Pain in the butt as hospital appointments are autominated and ring on withheld numbers.

If involved in a RTA these people have some insurance companies on incentives to pass on your details.

We live in a crap world of cons and cheats.

:scare:

Like the panarama programme said, if you register your phone number with the telephone preference service they are not allowed by law to cold call.

The problem is that many of these calls are from India or other international countries that are beyond the reach of British justice.

I have a device called call blocker on my landline. This is a voice recording that tells the caller that they cannot continue with the call unless they know me personnaly. It cuts off autominated calls.

Where can I get one of these?....more info please :thumbs:

Pete

I get them 3 times a day from this number 020 3167 1196, but I've saved it in my phone as "accident claim" so I never answer it, also have a PPI one saved so I can ignore them too

Telemarketing Company, PPI related......lots of complaints about this number.

Pete

It's for landlines thats all I know.

I have a app called blacklist on my jailbroken iphone,

I can add from address book or recent calls.

plus all 0800/with held and private.

Plus as previously it's always a good idea to register all your lines no matter what they are with http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/index.html

It's is free and puts your numbers on a list of not to be called.

Although this alone does not guarantee that people will not call you it certainly filters out a good 50% of plonker calls.

And it is against the law to cold call numbers on the list.

I suggest you do some research for anything else with cold call as they may have something for Mobiles.

I have call blocker on a virgin landline.

:thumbs:

Just looked at the website, it basically just plays a message to incoming callers stating whatever style of message you want i.e: "we don't accept cold calls" and instructs any 'friendly' callers to dial 5 to be put through, whereupon your phone rings.

In a nut shell; it doesn't stop anyone calling your number that is capable of pushing 5, so will only guarantee cutting automated calls. And in answer to my previous post, claims not to interfere with BB.

I have never had anyone dare to push 5 in the 2 years I have had it except Hospitals and friends/family.

It scares them off.

What it does do is stop all computer generated phone calls and they are what you 1st get usually on a sunday pm or weekday evening.

You can also set to stop all calls.

I strongly suggest you phone the company up as I seem to be doing all the work here I just have one and it works for me:)

Answer phone.....

Make animal/sex noises until they hang up

I will record the Coyotes for you :lol:

I have not had one automated call since I have been here, but then I have not got a mobile :lol: ... maybe in a week or so :ninja:

Our landline company has an option on their web site to add numbers you dont want to recieve call from :thumbs: .... perhaps BT could learn a thing or two :bangin: