Motordyne XYZ pipe fitting

smudgedon

Picking up an xyz pipe at the weekend and will be fitting myself

Just want to check that it's relatively straight forward with some bolts at 1 end and 2 sets of bolts at the other?

Gonna soak everything in wd40 before trying to get the bolts off to help them along a bit

Anything else I'll need?

Gonna soak everything in wd40 before trying to get the bolts off to help them along a bit

Heat might help as well.... and a bit of luck! :thumbs:

Yes, bolts at 1 end, 2 sets of bolts at the other and a jubilee clip in the middle where the HFC fits.

Thanks guys

I was wondering about gaskets, was just gonna use some liquid gasket stuff?

:scare:

:pmzmanalex: for Gaskets :thumbs:

If your existing pipe has not been off for a while then as HaydnH says Heat will be must :thumbs: If you not able to do this your self then go to a fitting place and ask them to undo and re-tighten the bolts. Should only cost a tenner or so :thumbs:

Best of luck getting the bolts off. I had my exhaust replaced last week and the fitters had to take a welding torch to the bolts between the Y pipe and the cats to get them off. They didn't bother doing the rest of the bolts they just dropped the exhaust off in one piece after taking off the W brace.

I kept the old exhaust but as it's a bit big in one piece, I tried to undo the bolts between the Y pipe and the mid pipe. I soaked the bolts in penetrating oil and got a big breaker bar on them and all I succeeded in doing was rounding one of the nuts off. It wouldn't budge at all and this was doing it off the car in my garage :surrender:

I think you will definitely need some heat on them if you're going DIY :thumbs:

without the use of a high ramp you will struggle. The nuts will be seized on well and truly and there a risk of snapping the bolts coming off the cats also

Personally I'd take it to an exhaust company or mechanics and bump them 20 quid

Best of luck :thumbs:

without the use of a high ramp you will struggle. The nuts will be seized on well and truly and there a risk of snapping the bolts coming off the cats also

Personally I'd take it to an exhaust company or mechanics and bump them 20 quid

Best of luck :thumbs:

+1 husky took his backbox off and nearly cut his arm off with the angle grinder.......without loads of space and a massive breaker bar your going to be struggling or grinding the nuts off.

Also......you need gaskets.

having almost blow torched my face off i would suggest going to a garage to get nuts cracked,i got a guy in chessington who will do it if you want

put it this way i doubt you will be able to get enough leverage with stands unless they have been loosened before....chances are under the car you will snap a bolt and will have to drill out and replace.

y pipe to centre pipe notorious for snapping..y pipe to cats no chance, with mine replaced y pipe and cats as one unit infact they are still one unit now :lol:

can be done on axel stands :blush: .....when Keyser replace mine he manage to remove the bolts from the cats to the y pipe under the car but the rear of the y pipe to the system was a different matter....picture this ,

1 x extra long breaker bar

1 x socket

6 x extension bars

he put all the extension bars together + the socket.....i got under the car and held the socket onto the nut with the extenion bars running the full lenght of the car to beyond the rear bumper. :lol::lol:

Push on the break bar and bingo one turn and they where free....looked so comical but worked :teeth:

hope this helps...good luck

You may also want to consider the rounded "flower" shaped sockets which put the pressure on the sides of the bolts instead of the corners like a normal hex socket. I don' really understand why hex sockets still exist unless there's a patent issue or something.

You may also want to consider the rounded "flower" shaped sockets which put the pressure on the sides of the bolts instead of the corners like a normal hex socket. I don' really understand why hex sockets still exist unless there's a patent issue or something.

Links? Sounds like a decent idea.

Will an impact gun not blast it off?

can be done on axel stands :blush: .....when Keyser replace mine he manage to remove the bolts from the cats to the y pipe under the car but the rear of the y pipe to the system was a different matter....picture this ,

1 x extra long breaker bar

1 x socket

6 x extension bars

he put all the extension bars together + the socket.....i got under the car and held the socket onto the nut with the extenion bars running the full lenght of the car to beyond the rear bumper. :lol::lol:

Push on the break bar and bingo one turn and they where free....looked so comical but worked :teeth:

hope this helps...good luck

Yeh but Keyser is big and mean looking. He scared those nuts undone!!

:scare:

Links? Sounds like a decent idea.

Will an impact gun not blast it off?

Google "Surface drive sockets". :thumbs: