e reader for birthday

ioneabee

Depends what u want the kindle is probably the best of the dedicated e readers and they are only about £90 now. Tablets obviously though give u lot more to play with but not such a good medium for reading as the kindle.

Kindle is the most used present I have ever had and could not live without it now

Tablets hurt your eyes after a few hours and the battery life isnt long enough generally. Ive had Kindles for the last couple of years, really rate them other than the screen freeze issue, Ive now sent 4 back to them :dry:

Now got a Kindle Touch as a replacement, smaller, easier to use and hopefully a bit more reliable but only time will tell. :thumbs:

I have had a Kindle for a year or so now, its very good :thumbs:

As others ^^^ have said, tablets will do your eyes in after a while. Also the difference of looking at a Kindle compared to my iPad in the sunshine/through sunglasses is amazing B)

I cant comment on the Touchscreen one, My one does not have the full keyboard on which is a little annoying when searching for books.

Kindle screen is brilliant and the battery life is amazing, you won't get that with a tablet, horses for courses :thumbs: Search for books on your lap top and buy what you need, the next time your Kindle logs on they just download :)

I bought Mrs SMD a Kindle for her Birthday in June and she loves it :thumbs:

She didn't want a touch one, just the standard and I agree with all the comments on the screen, as it is LCD it is easy to look at for a while, if you get a tablet and read a book on it for an hour or 2 your eyes will be fecked :wacko:

No point paying for 3G unless you plan to take it away on holiday or something :thumbs:

decided I don't want colourful (I grew out of picture books some time ago - well I think I did anyway) - I just want a book replacement, so going to go for the kindle touch ..... now just gotta find somewhere that sells it less than the RRP of £109 :dummy:

decided I don't want colourful (I grew out of picture books some time ago - well I think I did anyway) - I just want a book replacement, so going to go for the kindle touch ..... now just gotta find somewhere that sells it less than the RRP of £109 :dummy:

Pretty much a set price like Apple products, even Tesco sell it for the full retail price :shrug:

Why the touch though? I would have found it a pain having to keep wiping the fingermarks off the screen..... But then I shouldn't really be reading 50 shades :blush:

This is always a tough one to answer as it depends entirely on what you want to use it for.

As a disclaimer, I work for a company closely involved with the Nexus 7 but hopefully I'm giving you a non-biased view based on all the devices I've had a play with. I also have a Nexus 7 and a Kindle.

Kindle - they are fantastic products if you read a lot. As others have said, the battery is immense and in a completely different league to tablets. I charge mine on average once every 3 to 4 weeks and it's great if you find yourself on public transport a lot. However, they are just good for books. The browser is poor, there are no games or apps but for a book lover it may be all you ever need.

To put a spanner in the works, Amazon recently announced a new version called the Paperwhite. Not sure when it will hit the UK but it also has a backlight so can be used at night. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007OZ ... d_i=507846

Nexus 7 - I would say if you're just using the Kindle at home or you travel just for holidays etc then a tablet like the Nexus 7 is the better choice simply because it does so much more - general apps, games etc. It's actually a great gaming device. Because it's a Nexus device it will always get Google's updates first so you don't have to worry about being left behind.

iPad or Bigger Android tablet like the Samsung Tab - great if you want to browse the internet at home or will be using a lot of HD video content, obviously more expensive. Apple in particular have far more well known Apps so that could swing a purchase, especially if you've already being buying content on iTunes.

Also Apple have a press event tomorrow, meant to be launching the iPhone 5 but you never know what else they can announce.

We're in a great age for tablets, competition is fierce so everyone is being forced to innovate and we'll see great products over the next 12 months. Because of this there is no bad time to just jump in. All the well known products are good :D